LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by markharbtiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:34 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:27 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Tommy Mathews, short trip down the road.
I thought Matthews was Welsh (at least he played for Wales in age group rugby). Maybe also England qualified?
Came off the bench for England under 20s at the weekend.
Fair enough!
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Snoopydog68 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:19 am Surprised by that move if honest. Thought he'd be picked up by another Premiership club. Good luck though Sam, hopefully he uses this opportunity as a springboard!
I'm sure he'll be back in the Prem in the next couple of years. I feel the salary cuts and covid have meant there's no money left for players like Lewis. A good strong number 2 or 3.
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

I must admit the Socino signing came out of the blue. I know him from his days at Nottingham and he’s a useful player, and a nice guy as well. I saw someone on another forum say something that I hadn’t thought of- middle of the road players you wouldn’t expect to be signing for big clubs due to the financial situation/salary cap etc rather than going for big names who will be expensive.
Just makes me wonder when we’re going to hear about the prop and back row. I have heard one or two things but it seems that SB has locked down things pretty tight.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Juan Pablo Socino has been linked to us in the past and for me is a very solid signing , adaptable and dependable.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Never really followed closely Southern Hemisphere domestic Rugby but have recently caught some Queensland Reds matches and Bryce Hegarty looked a very accomplished player.Hope and believe he will fit in well.More to follow , i believe.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It shows the lockdown of the club in terms of players in, players out and injuries is working. I don't recall anyone even with a wild stab in the dark for the Hegarty signing, for example. Of course, it opens up wild speculation and any player who is out of contract, released or mentions something on social media automatically gets linked now !
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Socino is 33 so is probably only here for a year. More churn. However, I like the balance of a youngser in Kelly, two in their prime in Moroni and Scott and a veteran in Socino.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I have no issues whatsoever with any of the signings and I’ve said before on here the importance of a player being able to cover multiple positions. However……. I’d still like to see a couple of really top class, top quality signings to propel us towards the top of the table next season and beyond.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Don’t think we’ll be making any top class signings given the salary cap and we’ve already got plenty of test players. I can see us making three more additions, some of the names banded around.

Young 10 - Dan Lancaster, Tommy Mathews
Squad prop - Dylan Smith, Henry Thomas
Flanker/lock - Michael Rhodes

Think Hegarty could prove to be a great addition. I imagine he’s viewed very much as a 15, but is also a quality operator at 10. He’ll be pushing some of the first XV for a spot.

Not sure about Socino covering 10, he’s very much an out and out 12. But Newcastle fans said he’s class when fit so looking forwards to seeing what he can do in a Tigers shirt.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Was always impressed by Socino when I saw him in a Newcastle shirt so have no doubt about his quality. He's a player with the x factor that can unlock defences and seeing him line up in our back line will be very exciting. We now have some quality options in the centre with Scott, Kelly, Socino, Moroni, Porter. Looking forward to seeing Socino and Moroni play together although I do wonder about the overseas player rule and the fact Montoya and Moroni will be nailed on starters.

As for Hegarty.. not really seen much of him to be honest but he can cover fly half, centre and full back so seems like a perfect replacement for Henry. With JMcP, Henry and Bonilla all leaving and Burns, Hegarty and Socino inbound it seems like we have opted for the experienced route to bolster our backs division. We have some great options now in the backs:

Wouldn't mind seeing Youngs Ford Nadolo Socino Moroni Murimurivalu Hegarty playing together! With JvP Burns Potter Kelly Scott and Steward all more than worthy starting options in their own right.. as as we all know SB tends to prefer the whole squad mentality over a first XV and second XV so we are shaping up nicely :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

No need to say any more - great signing
Hehehehehehehehe
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:34 am Was always impressed by Socino when I saw him in a Newcastle shirt so have no doubt about his quality. He's a player with the x factor that can unlock defences and seeing him line up in our back line will be very exciting. We now have some quality options in the centre with Scott, Kelly, Socino, Moroni, Porter. Looking forward to seeing Socino and Moroni play together although I do wonder about the overseas player rule and the fact Montoya and Moroni will be nailed on starters.

As for Hegarty.. not really seen much of him to be honest but he can cover fly half, centre and full back so seems like a perfect replacement for Henry. With JMcP, Henry and Bonilla all leaving and Burns, Hegarty and Socino inbound it seems like we have opted for the experienced route to bolster our backs division. We have some great options now in the backs:

Wouldn't mind seeing Youngs Ford Nadolo Socino Moroni Murimurivalu Hegarty playing together! With JvP Burns Potter Kelly Scott and Steward all more than worthy starting options in their own right.. as as we all know SB tends to prefer the whole squad mentality over a first XV and second XV so we are shaping up nicely :smt023
I understand Socino has an Italian passport :smt017
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

fentiger wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:34 am Was always impressed by Socino when I saw him in a Newcastle shirt so have no doubt about his quality. He's a player with the x factor that can unlock defences and seeing him line up in our back line will be very exciting. We now have some quality options in the centre with Scott, Kelly, Socino, Moroni, Porter. Looking forward to seeing Socino and Moroni play together although I do wonder about the overseas player rule and the fact Montoya and Moroni will be nailed on starters.

He definitely has according to his Linkedin a/c
Hehehehehehehehe
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

fentiger wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 am
Doesn't Moroni have one too or is working on getting one?