LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:03 am Jake Kerr released
Writing on the wall with the Dolly signing.
Shame. Very good prospect with lots of potential just never really got the opportunities. Wish him all the best :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by kk20gb30 »

A pity.Certainly wish him well.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Kerr sadly never kicked on, good luck to him
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

Ribbans was best lock on the park yesterday, because of his athleticism and ability with the ball. We've not seen that yet from Henderson in a Tigers shirt, but anyone who saw him for Scotland u20s will know he has the skills. I've got such high hopes for him and while some of the criticism on here of Green is over the top (he's a workhorse who hits hard and often), I do think Henderson will overtake him for selection soon, particularly as he naturally fills out and the concern of him depowering the scrum reduces.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TA30 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:34 pm Ribbans was best lock on the park yesterday, because of his athleticism and ability with the ball. We've not seen that yet from Henderson in a Tigers shirt, but anyone who saw him for Scotland u20s will know he has the skills. I've got such high hopes for him and while some of the criticism on here of Green is over the top (he's a workhorse who hits hard and often), I do think Henderson will overtake him for selection soon, particularly as he naturally fills out and the concern of him depowering the scrum reduces.
For me Ribbans is regularly one of the best locks in the league. I know Eddie's had him in and around the squad previously, he's another that could be capped this summer. He's still only 25 as well.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Henderson has massive potential, like many in our squad.We could do with them all pushing on and making genuine progress...
Fortunately, the forwards (especially) have a great teacher in Steve Borthwick.Hopefully they will all keep their feet on the ground and learn the game, how to play it and how to maintain a winning mentality and mindset.We will see and learn much about them all next season.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

With our current game plan where do people see Burns fitting in. I've always felt that Freddie played what was in front of him and our territorial kicking game might not be best suited to him.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:33 pm With our current game plan where do people see Burns fitting in. I've always felt that Freddie played what was in front of him and our territorial kicking game might not be best suited to him.
if we are unwilling to ever take George off he will get 5-10 games a season between 10 and 15 when the internationals are away
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:55 pm
chewbacca wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:33 pm With our current game plan where do people see Burns fitting in. I've always felt that Freddie played what was in front of him and our territorial kicking game might not be best suited to him.
if we are unwilling to ever take George off he will get 5-10 games a season between 10 and 15 when the internationals are away
The point is would Ford of been pulled yesterday for Burns?
Until you can see that being a possibility, I doubt our longer term success.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:19 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:55 pm
The point is would Ford of been pulled yesterday for Burns?
Until you can see that being a possibility, I doubt our longer term success.
Would Burns have replaced Ford in that game situation, unlikely...

However would he have come on at fullback (similar to what Henry did) to offer an additional playmaker in the backline when chasing the game, absolutely he would have done.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I seem to remember Burns tactical kicking for us being extremely good.
His main problem was the random chip and chase that rarely worked.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

could Burns or Henry be an answer at 12?
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

I guess at least 10 games, but probably more like 12-14 given Ford’s absences.

He would offer something different and he does play off the cuff but I see no reason why he cannot thrive with a good pack in front of him.

The lack of support for Ford on here has been very depressing to read. All very fickle. He has suffered with England and yesterday was not quite at his best. However he puts us in the right place on the field time and again, has been our best player frequently in recents years behind a wretched pack (when he plays) and less than 18 months ago was man of the match in one of English rugby’s finest ever victories.

No issues last summer with a wage reduction either I might add.

You may criticise his form but we cannot be so quick so criticise him. We demand loyalty from our players I think a player such as Ford deserves some from us in return.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:17 pm could Burns or Henry be an answer at 12?
More likely to be McPhillips ,I’m ok with Scott and Kelly though. 13 is the problem Moroni is close to irreplaceable,he’s such a good player and his reading of the game is too notch! I would like to see Taute tried at 12 too though at some point
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer