LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RagingBull »

Pretty sure our squad is already smaller start of this season compare to start of last season.
Also every player that replaced a leaver would most likely have been cheaper.
Examples like
TPN v Montoya (Prob on Par with each other)
Cortes v Bower
Bateman v Da Bruin v Van Wyk
Spencer v Enever v Snyman
Thompson v Brink (Prob on Par with each other)
Kalamafoni v Wiese
Reid v Scott
Tuilagi v Moroni
May v Nadolo
Thomas v Porter
Holmes v Van Wyk (Prob on Par with each other)
Thompstone v Potter
Veainu v Murimurivalu

I don't see our squad size really dropping much more either for next season.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by ourla »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 pm Pretty sure our squad is already smaller start of this season compare to start of last season.
But cap has gone from £6.4m to £5m - nearly 22% reduction so that needs to happen.
RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 pm Examples like
TPN v Montoya (Prob on Par with each other)
Cortes v Bower
Bateman v Da Bruin v Van Wyk
Spencer v Enever v Snyman
Thompson v Brink (Prob on Par with each other)
Kalamafoni v Wiese
Reid v Scott
Tuilagi v Moroni
May v Nadolo
Thomas v Porter
Holmes v Van Wyk (Prob on Par with each other)
Thompstone v Potter
Veainu v Murimurivalu
Some of those may want a pay rise (Weise, Moroni), as will some of the youngsters now establishing themselves.
RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 pm I don't see our squad size really dropping much more either for next season.
IIRC already mentioned it in one of his interviews (smaller squad sizes).

I am not saying it's a biggie, just curious really.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:07 pm That is 42 which is very large for all those to be Senior. Suspect many will still be classed as development players
Not sure how it works with senior and development - you are suggesting development players are paid but not part of the senior squad (and can't play senior games?)?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 pm Pretty sure our squad is already smaller start of this season compare to start of last season.
But cap has gone from £6.4m to £5m - nearly 22% reduction so that needs to happen.
Yes but in addition to the reduction in squad size, we asked all players who were over a certain wage level to take a 25% wage reduction. So not only have we trimmed the size of the squad a bit, but we have also dropped the wage levels of our big earners. Given both of these things I expect most people leaving now will be replaced (exception to that is at Hooker, where I think Dolly has arrived already to replace in all liklihood Kerr, but we brought forward his arrival due to Montoya being injured)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:48 pm
Yes but in addition to the reduction in squad size, we asked all players who were over a certain wage level to take a 25% wage reduction. So not only have we trimmed the size of the squad a bit, but we have also dropped the wage levels of our big earners. Given both of these things I expect most people leaving now will be replaced (exception to that is at Hooker, where I think Dolly has arrived already to replace in all liklihood Kerr, but we brought forward his arrival due to Montoya being injured)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

ourla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:50 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:07 pm That is 42 which is very large for all those to be Senior. Suspect many will still be classed as development players
Not sure how it works with senior and development - you are suggesting development players are paid but not part of the senior squad (and can't play senior games?)?
No not that they can’t play Senior games just what the are categorised as. For example McGinity said that tigers were looking for a slightly smaller Senior squad of around 37/38 but this year we have had 45 players play for the first team. Like you I was just wondering how it works in terms of who is classified as what.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Maybe it’s a trade off. For example Bower and Enever would have been senior squad, but their gametime has been mopped up by Whitcombe and Henderson who are part of development squad. Where we see the likes of Coghlan leave this summer, we may get a Chessum and Kelly level replacement, which I’m all good with.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We reduced our wages by 25% for all players nearly.
If you take away 3 loan/injury replacements that leaves us with a squad of 42 which puts us on less than Exeter, Falcons, Wasps, Quins and same as Bath + Saints.
So 42 seems to be bang in the middle in terms of squad sizes.

McGinty made a thing about the squad going to 38/39 but also insisted that we would continue to spend up to the cap.
So this could've been a plan that Murphy and McGinty had and maybe Borthwick wanted to go another route? Could be potentially a factor along with other stuff why we have new head of recruitment (or General Manager) in Jones.

I'm sure there will be leavers that no one is expecting usually is the case also.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Leicester Tigers website currently lists 43 players in the senior squad (includes loanees).

They list 19 in the development squad of which I believe 7 have played for the senior team this season.

Sale list 32
Bristol 42
Chiefs 56 (seems to include development/academy players!)
Worcester 47

I got bored after that.

Squad sizes seem as clear as mud to me.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Typically we use between 45 and 55 players a season, on one occasion when we just blew off the Prem Cup and loaned in loads of players we got to 63 players.

No one ever deliberately hires people they don't intend to use. The distinction between senior and development seems purely semantic to me. There is a distinction in the salary cap between senior and academy players, perhaps it is an indication of this but we have no way of knowing that.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I remember Cohen used to go on about how much work went into keeping under the cap and I'm not surprised with all the comings and goings, marquee players, injury dispensations, academy paybacks.

So basically this discussion about smaller squads that some of the coaches are talking can't really be judged on empirical data.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

My understanding is that Academy is not part of the cap, Development players are not part of the cap unless they play in the Premiership then their whole salary has to fall within the cap. Long term injury at the start of the season is not part of the cap but if the player takes the pitch in a Premiership match then all payments made during the season fall into the cap. I believe a player coach if featuring in the Premiership has to be included within the cap but they could play A League and Premiership Cup.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Three key words for so many rugby players are, move in, move out, move on! Oh, cynical me. :smt002 :smt002
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I don't know who our marquee players are any more, have we been told?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:07 pm I don't know who our marquee players are any more, have we been told?
Would assume Ford, Taufua was rumoured to be one but hasn't the 2nd marquee slot been removed now?