LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:21 pm Gonna add on here some speculation about Mike Rhodes, just announced he's leaving Sarries. (There's a bit on the non Tigers transfer thread)

Could he be the Back Row Eggchasers were discussing.

He'd add significant depth to our back row.
If Martin moved to lock that would mean our back row could be

Liebenberg / Rhodes
Van Staden / Reffell
Wiese / Brink

What's more he can also play lock if it's felt that Martin isn't quite ready to play there.

He's north of 30 but that doesn't need to be a big thing as we have plenty of younger back rows.

Sarries could know we're annoucing tomorrow so have been given chance to say he's leaving before our announcement... (checks any fly halves being announced that they're leaving)
That's strange as I was of the impression I read that he left Sarries with immediate effect after their debacle was first announced. I was most surprised to see early in the season he was still playing for them. I wonder where I heard that?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:01 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:21 pm Gonna add on here some speculation about Mike Rhodes, just announced he's leaving Sarries. (There's a bit on the non Tigers transfer thread)

Liebenberg / Rhodes
Van Staden / Reffell
Wiese / Brink

What's more he can also play lock if it's felt that Martin isn't quite ready to play there.

He's north of 30 but that doesn't need to be a big thing as we have plenty of younger back rows.

Sarries could know we're annoucing tomorrow so have been given chance to say he's leaving before our announcement... (checks any fly halves being announced that they're leaving)
That's strange as I was of the impression I read that he left Sarries with immediate effect after their debacle was first announced. I was most surprised to see early in the season he was still playing for them. I wonder where I heard that?
Came back on a one year deal to see them through the Championship. Given Earl and Isiekwe went out on loan they needed some cheap cover.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:12 pm
LE18 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:01 pm

Liebenberg / Rhodes
Van Staden / Reffell
Wiese / Brink

Came back on a one year deal to see them through the Championship. Given Earl and Isiekwe went out on loan they needed some cheap cover.
Thanks Sam, I didn't dream it then.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Jimmy Skitz" post_id=786094 time=1623944924 user_id=7880]
[quote=MurphysLaw post_id=786093 time=1623944573 user_id=3365]
Leigh Jones has a senior role within the Leadership team, and that includes the following... 'Additionally, the General Manager of Rugby will work alongside Head Coach Steve Borthwick on the development of the current coaching and performance team and playing squad, as well as the recruitment of coaches, performance staff and players at Leicester Tigers, in line with the new-look recruitment and development structure, pathway and process.'

Given that role and his recruitment responsibilities, it would be strange for him not to 'seen and heard'.
....Sinfield could be his first signing!
[/quote]
not for me, he has all those responsibilities but they are more administrator, Borthwick will have the final say on the coaches and the players so he is the one we need to hear from, if people think not hearing from Leigh is an issue I think they are looking for one.
[/quote]

Well will will have to disagree on this one - describing his role as an 'administrator' seems to utterly belittle what was touted as a merger of DOS and Head of Recruitment roles at the Club, and would not constitute a 'senior leadership position' (he effectively replaced Murphy and McGinity as I understand it).
He may work in the background, and not talk to the media, but the point I and several others have been questioning is why, especially as it's a new role, he has not got any visible profile within the Club and why he has not been 'introduced' to the supporters? At the very least it would go some way to explain his role, which is clearly confusing one of us!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:42 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:36 pm So sounds like it's confirmed that Seb Smith has a contract.
Not really a shock.
Have I missed the academy promotions announcement?
Saw a rt on NextgenXV Twitter feed confirming it
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Interesting looking at Mike Ford’s history he has not stayed long at any club during his playing career or in his coaching career although performed well at most places he has been. I wonder if he likes moving on. Sinfield is perceived to have been very much a cornerstone of one club. I wonder if Mike gets itchy feet or feels more of a trouble shooter?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Ford_(rugby)
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:00 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:54 am given the feelings towards the Star wars sequels I'm feeling a move is in order to another world.
In my head, Episodes 8 & 9 don’t exist anyway…
Episode VII. The Force Awakens does seem appropriate though!

Or The Forwards Awaken?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Offside wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:09 am Interesting looking at Mike Ford’s history he has not stayed long at any club during his playing career or in his coaching career although performed well at most places he has been. I wonder if he likes moving on. Sinfield is perceived to have been very much a cornerstone of one club. I wonder if Mike gets itchy feet or feels more of a trouble shooter?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Ford_(rugby)
To be fair, he was only recruited as a short term
Consultant!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

12.00 start of popcorn Friday?????????
Hehehehehehehehe
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I never thought I'd say it, but I miss the lead up to the "Team's up" post at 1200, "my player is better than your player", "we need an out and out 7", "so-and-so is better on the wing" etc
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I could see player announcements happening the week after the final.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:04 pm I could see player announcements happening the week after the final.
Now everyone’s going to try and figure out which players from the four teams might be coming here! :smt003
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The interesting thing is that I think we know that some players will be coming in, but it's an educated guess as to what positions will be filled and more tricky as to which players could be coming in. Normally by now there's been a leak of some kind on social media to get the forum ticking, but even the George Kruis bandwagon seems to have ground to a halt ! Of course we all want to know now but as posted before, after the leak of Montoya's injury, it's as tight as a drum in terms of the club so we're unlikely to get any news for a week or so, as RB has said.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Some frightening stats here at first glance, but in many (not all) cases/instances the bitterest medicine is the best and I don't think the results may be overly questioned considering where we stand now.......

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ad-5545430
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well for me personally I generally don't count development squad numbers to senior players on the whole. (Not sure why Costelow isn't down as a development player when he was either) I also don't really count short term injury signings as they are always intended to be a fill in.

It's a crazy amount for sure though.

I feel the end of season leavers number so
Tomas Lavanini (Clermont)
Luan De Bruin (Edinburgh)
Zak Henry (Pau)
Johnny McPhillips (US Carcassonne)
Joaquin Tito Bonilla
Ben White
Ryan Bower

Gives me hope to a degree.
I do feel Borthwick is the first Tigers coach since Cockerill to have a large core in the squad.

At this stage looking at the current senior squad next season I do have question marks over in terms of looking into the 2022/23 season
Leatigaga (French clubs just love his style of prop)
Reffell (When will Wales call potentially)
Van Wyk (Make or break year)
Olowofela (As above)
Worth (As above)
Aspland-Robinson (As above)

Which funny enough is prob a third of the amount of question marks I usually have on players coming into a new season.
Turnover is inevitable, 3rd choice players will always be looking generally these days, unless you can sell them a clear pathway into the main group and the big non English stars will always be target from the rich teams

IMO the aim should be to try and keep it to around 10 at the highest.