LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

wellstiger wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:32 am Back to Wig - I am of the belief he is set to get into coaching and under the mentorship of SB. Is he to stay at Tigers as a player coach or is he off to get coaching experience.? I thought he was bought in with that in mind?
I'm pretty sure he was brought in to transition into a coach going forward, however rumours recently seem to imply he's signing a 1 year extension to playing.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RagingBull »

From the sounds of it he’s already like a player coach right now.

On Olowofela my wonder is, does he fit us? Look at Kobus Van Wyk for example, I don’t think he’s a bad winger but I think the way he plays in terms of attack just doesn’t fit us currently, and I think it will be the same with other traditional wingers.

Wingers who seem to be working for us generally are ones that either have a power game or a all round game.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:20 am From the sounds of it he’s already like a player coach right now.

On Olowofela my wonder is, does he fit us? Look at Kobus Van Wyk for example, I don’t think he’s a bad winger but I think the way he plays in terms of attack just doesn’t fit us currently, and I think it will be the same with other traditional wingers.

Wingers who seem to be working for us generally are ones that either have a power game or a all round game.
Agreed. I think Olowafela is still too weak in defense
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:40 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:20 am From the sounds of it he’s already like a player coach right now.

Missing the point I think. His tackling won't be the biggest issue because a) it's looking fine when playing in Aus, he's looked more powerful recently and b) in our defence the outside backs seem to mainly make side on tackles which should suit Jordan.

My concerns currently would be he kick chase, from what I saw for the Force he looked more confident under the high ball but I didn't see him chasing any kicks down like Potter does for us. That's a key part of our tactics and an area van Wyk struggles. He also doesn't come off his wing in Aus which is another thing that makes van Wyk less effective than the likes of Potter, Porter, Nadolo and Murimurivalu who go looking for work.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:54 am

Missing the point I think. His tackling won't be the biggest issue because a) it's looking fine when playing in Aus, he's looked more powerful recently and b) in our defence the outside backs seem to mainly make side on tackles which should suit Jordan.

My concerns currently would be he kick chase, from what I saw for the Force he looked more confident under the high ball but I didn't see him chasing any kicks down like Potter does for us. That's a key part of our tactics and an area van Wyk struggles. He also doesn't come off his wing in Aus which is another thing that makes van Wyk less effective than the likes of Potter, Porter, Nadolo and Murimurivalu who go looking for work.
Fair points. I think the group of wingers Borthwick seems to prefer (Nadolo, Potter, Muri, Porter) all seem to do what you suggest. Van Wyk just doesn’t seem to have settled in yet but has a lot of talent. Will be interesting to see if all fully fit who we go with for the final? It’s a tough call and for once we are spoiled for choice. Nadolo and Potter would be my choice with Muri on the bench
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Van Wyk has not impressed but it would be fair to give him another season to settle in and make a name for himself, he racked up the tries in super rugby so must have something about him, really hope Potter and Porter get more game time, both have lots of potential.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

baz1664 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:48 am Van Wyk has not impressed but it would be fair to give him another season to settle in and make a name for himself, he racked up the tries in super rugby so must have something about him, really hope Potter and Porter get more game time, both have lots of potential.
Porter hasn't played at centre for a while, given Taute's injury, I'd like to see him have a game back there in the next few weeks.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:53 am
baz1664 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:48 am Van Wyk has not impressed but it would be fair to give him another season to settle in and make a name for himself, he racked up the tries in super rugby so must have something about him, really hope Potter and Porter get more game time, both have lots of potential.
Porter hasn't played at centre for a while, given Taute's injury, I'd like to see him have a game back there in the next few weeks.
I agree
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Van Wyk is a bit of an odd one, on the face of it you would think he would be a shoe in to start with Nadolo as they are (at least according to the official stats) our 2 largest wingers, but as others have said he doesn't seem to come off his wing all that much and his work under the highball and discipline leave a fair amount to be desired, I think he will come good eventually but he needs to knuckle down a bit
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I think Olowefela would offer a nice balance to Nadolo along the lines of Potter

IMO his confidence was shot and so he wasn’t looking for work and wasn’t using his speed which all contributed to underwhelming performances.

If he can come back confident then he’s decent enough under the high ball, faster than most, good step, runs good angles and comes off his wing and would finish the chances that Porters had playing recently.

I’d have him back in a heartbeat if he’s ready to play how SB wants him to
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:29 am I think Olowefela would offer a nice balance to Nadolo along the lines of Potter

IMO his confidence was shot and so he wasn’t looking for work and wasn’t using his speed which all contributed to underwhelming performances.

If he can come back confident then he’s decent enough under the high ball, faster than most, good step, runs good angles and comes off his wing and would finish the chances that Porters had playing recently.

I’d have him back in a heartbeat if he’s ready to play how SB wants him to
Professional sport can be a tough and unforgiving environment. He’d not offered much for some time and in that last game at Gloucester, he just looked like he wasn’t interested. Maybe a fresh start is what he needs.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dokie wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:01 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:53 am
I agree
Yep agreed. I'd like to see Nadolo and Potter on the wings with Porter and Moroni in the centre
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:02 am
sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:54 am

Fair points. I think the group of wingers Borthwick seems to prefer (Nadolo, Potter, Muri, Porter) all seem to do what you suggest. Van Wyk just doesn’t seem to have settled in yet but has a lot of talent. Will be interesting to see if all fully fit who we go with for the final? It’s a tough call and for once we are spoiled for choice. Nadolo and Potter would be my choice with Muri on the bench
Agreed. I think that's currently out best combination. I really hope Potter and Porter pick up Kini's ability to play in and around the breakdown because that really makes the winger another level of dangerous.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Muri is an ideal finisher as he can cover wing and centre
A2O
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:58 am Muri is an ideal finisher as he can cover wing and centre
And full back