LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:04 pm Worried we might be losing Leatigaga, Murimurivalu, Porter, Potter who I think all add something to the team after RB's post.
Not worried about Leatigaga, can't imagine Borthwick would name check him as returning to fitness for the start of preseason if he wasn't here next year. Can't believe we'd bring 2 guys over from Australia on a 1 year contract. Of those the only one I'd worry about would be Murimurivalu as whe he signed he probably expected to be starting 15, so it's a bit about how he's enjoying the "journey" personally I think he'll stay but we'll wait and see.

Most of the clubs with a few exceptions (like ourselves who are keeping quiet till a popcorn day) have released the majority of their "headline" signings. That means I don't see wholesale changes to any key players in the squad. So I think maybe one surprise unless RB has heard something different, but players definitely seem bought into what Borthwick is doing looking from the outside
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RagingBull »

My comment was more musing, nothing I have been told.
If that eases people.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:45 pm My comment was more musing, nothing I have been told.
If that eases people.
It does me a lot.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:50 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:45 pm My comment was more musing, nothing I have been told.
If that eases people.
It does me a lot.
You don’t realise the power you have over us RB!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Kieran Brookes and Simon Macintyre announced as leaving Wasps - might one of these two be heading down the M69 to play for us?

Would we want either of them? Brookes has unfinished business here of course.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Postiger2 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:36 pm Kieran Brookes and Simon Macintyre announced as leaving Wasps - might one of these two be heading down the M69 to play for us?

Brookes is heading to Toulon
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Postiger2 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:36 pm Kieran Brookes and Simon Macintyre announced as leaving Wasps - might one of these two be heading down the M69 to play for us?

I'd take McIntyre any day. He's a player I've mentioned a few times as a good target. Really strong Premiership loosehead who would probably benefit from being rotated with Genge and van Wyk given his injuries. He's the sort of player that could step straight into the 23 if needed due to international call ups and injury without the side being weakened too much. Similar to Michele Rizzo during his time here.

It would mean Leatigaga shifting back to TH if he's hopefully here long term but I thought he was strong there as well as LH.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Brookes would never come back here, the club would never be after him in the first place.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Brookes is a "butterfly" of a player, yes a big butterfly. possibly more clubs than my neighbours golf bag!
He was found out here, never want him again in a Tigers shirt. :smt012
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Brookes ended up with an eating challenge named after him on Leicester. As far as the club are concerned I think there's no unfinished business.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Have to say not as sold on the Aus loanees as others seem to be really.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:17 pm

Brookes ended up with an eating challenge named after him on Leicester. As far as the club are concerned I think there's no unfinished business.
To be honest, I was being a bit mischievous with my post as I remember very well that Brookes' time with us was a bit of a disaster, promised much, delivered precious little.

Macintyre is a serious suggestion though. Good, consistent player IMHO.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:52 am Have to say not as sold on the Aus loanees as others seem to be really.
I have a feeling most of the loanees will be confirmed as leaving when the list is released. I could see Lewis, Coghlan, Aspland-Robinson, Olowofela and Worth all going. Sadly think White and Simmons will also be on the list.

No doubt they’ll be some surprises too. Last few days I’ve been thinking maybe Snyman will be a replacement for Green, although I hope not.

Will Van Wyk be released from his contract and another winger brought in?

Bonilla probably will be off too. Tommy Matthews is a good shout as to someone we’d be looking to bring in.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:25 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:52 am Have to say not as sold on the Aus loanees as others seem to be really.
I have a feeling most of the loanees will be confirmed as leaving when the list is released. I could see Lewis, Coghlan, Aspland-Robinson, Olowofela and Worth all going. Sadly think White and Simmons will also be on the list.

No doubt they’ll be some surprises too. Last few days I’ve been thinking maybe Snyman will be a replacement for Green, although I hope not.

Will Van Wyk be released from his contract and another winger brought in?

Bonilla probably will be off too. Tommy Matthews is a good shout as to someone we’d be looking to bring in.
I really hope you’re wrong re. Olowofela. Saints have just let his brother go.
I am still hoping the trend towards 6ft 5 and 20+ stone wingers doesn’t exclude too many folk who don’t fit that description.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

You don’t have to be a giant winger.
Most English wingers are not giants.

But you have to be able to deal with the physicality.