LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am Who thinks we’ll get some announcements today?
I thought we would, but nothing so far.

Depends if kit launch is today they may want to wait for that so new players in the kit?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
CrumbieGrumbler

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by CrumbieGrumbler »

I'd assumed kit launch would be late August again
bendy

Post by bendy »

I asked one of the guys at the club shop on Saturday when they were expecting the new kit launch to be. He didn't think we'd say anything for another 2 or 3 weeks, but I'm not sure how open they'd be with Joe Public about these things.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

bendy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:49 pm I asked one of the guys at the club shop on Saturday when they were expecting the new kit launch to be. He didn't think we'd say anything for another 2 or 3 weeks, but I'm not sure how open they'd be with Joe Public about these things.
Usually kit launches are around the middle of July. I believe it was last year, although last year was different for a whole host of reasons! But I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s launched mid-late July.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

bendy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:49 pm I asked one of the guys at the club shop on Saturday when they were expecting the new kit launch to be. He didn't think we'd say anything for another 2 or 3 weeks, but I'm not sure how open they'd be with Joe Public about these things.
I think it was the fact that Samurai had a countdown clock to today for Leicester Tigers so something was planned to happen (unless it was a mistake)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:07 pm
I think it was the fact that Samurai had a countdown clock to today for Leicester Tigers so something was planned to happen (unless it was a mistake)
Its a competition, they announced it the same day the countdown started
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:00 am On the evidence displayed at Saturday's final, George Ford may be in a Tigers' shirt more often than we'd have thought.
I assume you mean Smith is likely to replace him? Worthy, but I’m not sure he’s Jones’ kind of 10.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Academy fly half Jack Vernum has joined Leicester Lions along with Jake Sterland for next seasons National 2 South league.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:20 pm
Robespierre wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:00 am On the evidence displayed at Saturday's final, George Ford may be in a Tigers' shirt more often than we'd have thought.
I assume you mean Smith is likely to replace him? Worthy, but I’m not sure he’s Jones’ kind of 10.
If Harlequins and Smith are lucky he won't get called up by England where he would have the flair, imagination, creativity and bravado coached out of him.
I'm not cynical just experienced
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Long term 10's the club will generally have a good idea on which academy lads will come up next season already, granted some players will come into the academy and could spring a surprise. Hopefully the U18 will be back to normal for next season as well.

I would be surprised if Ford leaves before the world cup is finished.
Burns @ 31, Socino @ 33 and Hegarty @ 28 should cover till then pretty nicely on the whole and if they turn out not to be the right fit then we will look around.

Whilst it would be nice to sign someone like Lancaster (Especially since he covers 3 other positions) I'm not too concerned about the longer term 10 just yet. Now if Fin smith or Barton was available that would be another matter.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Lancaster would be a good addition.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:55 pm
...Whilst it would be nice to sign someone like Lancaster (Especially since he covers 3 other positions) I'm not too concerned about the longer term 10 just yet. Now if Fin smith or Barton was available that would be another matter.
I thought Fin Smith looked v good.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

markharbtiger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:23 pm
...Whilst it would be nice to sign someone like Lancaster (Especially since he covers 3 other positions) I'm not too concerned about the longer term 10 just yet. Now if Fin smith or Barton was available that would be another matter.
Finn Smith looks absolute quality. I also expect he will be starting more often than not for Worcester next season so probably not someone we could pinch by offering game time. I reckon Smith will be Worcester first choice 10 by the end of 2021/22 with Owen Williams maybe vying for a centre spot more.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:29 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:23 pm
Finn Smith looks absolute quality. I also expect he will be starting more often than not for Worcester next season so probably not someone we could pinch by offering game time. I reckon Smith will be Worcester first choice 10 by the end of 2021/22 with Owen Williams maybe vying for a centre spot more.
There could be worse ideas than having Owen Williams at 12 to help guide young Finn Smith. Williams is a big bloke and physical player plus the big boot and passing game should give them options in the backs to get that expensive winger of theirs into the game.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 pm But we've got Burns coming back. :smt022 Really dreading him being paired with WW. :smt017 :smt022
I wrote this comment because posters had been praising to the hilt the way that Smith plays. I didn't rate him originally but he has moved on to be a very attractive running, inventive attacking FH, something I thought that McPhillips had started to show. I was hoping we would follow that style of play, something that Ford does not always display. I think Ford has become a kicking FH, something coached into him. I yearn to see attacking play from FH and don't really remember seeing too much of that from Burns and after a passage of time, I think we are in for a more staid style, and if so the combination I quoted fills me with dread. However if Ford's England days are numbered, maybe he will show us more of his running style and less of his kicking game.
Here's hoping. :smt045