LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by LE18 »

But we've got Burns coming back. :smt022 Really dreading him being paired with WW. :smt017 :smt022
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So new playing seasons contracts start on Thursday so are we any popcorn this week?

I still reckon we have 3 or so more signings plus extensions to come.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Really don’t get peoples issue with Burns.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:31 pm So new playing seasons contracts start on Thursday so are we any popcorn this week?

I still reckon we have 3 or so more signings plus extensions to come.
We might see them tomorrow in our new kit 😉
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:38 pm Really don’t get peoples issue with Burns.
Same. Freddie is an improvement on Henry and McPhillips in terms of consistency. Hegarty could potentially be an improvement on both too in my opinion. Our options at 10 for next season look stronger than they have for a while. The only concern is not having a younger 10 as a development option long term.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:23 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:38 pm Really don’t get peoples issue with Burns.
Same. Freddie is an improvement on Henry and McPhillips in terms of consistency. Hegarty could potentially be an improvement on both too in my opinion. Our options at 10 for next season look stronger than they have for a while. The only concern is not having a younger 10 as a development option long term.
Yet....
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I make a point of not being negative about our players - particularly on this forum. Confidence is a fragile thing and I feel we shouldn’t unintentionally undermine it.
As I am sure many have, I’ve followed (and watched) Burns whilst he was at Tigers, played for England but also whilst at Bath, and I discussed his original move to Bath with an ex-Bath player when the swap with Ford was made.
I admit to being surprised to hear he was returning to Tigers, but I feel we should be nothing else other than 100% supportive at this stage. Frankly, we do need him to perform whilst Ford is on England duty.
My main concern with the 10 position is that there don’t appear to be any in the development squad, and we do need youngsters coming through in this position (as others have recently noted).
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It is true that following the departures of Costello, Hardwick and Glynn over the last couple of years we have no twenty-ish flyhalf about to make the grade so the club have signed experience to give us the short term back up to Ford. There are young guys in the position listed in the Academy and it is possible that one or other of them may come through to compete for a squad place or possibly we will be able to pick up a prospect from elsewhere. In the meantime I am delighted that Freddie Burns has come home, I liked him as a player and as a person, he will be a valuable squad member over the next two or three years .
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

On the evidence displayed at Saturday's final, George Ford may be in a Tigers' shirt more often than we'd have thought.
Semper in excretia
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Doubt very much whether Ford and Youngs will be on England duty. Sir Clive doesnt seem to think so....
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

fortysix wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:02 am Doubt very much whether Ford and Youngs will be on England duty. Sir Clive doesnt seem to think so....
Clive has always had it in for Ford and Youngs, just the same as he has it in for Eddie unless he wins and then he's the best thing since sliced bread
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If we are all being honest Farrell should be binned and our FH should be Ford and Smith. But that's never going to happen sadly!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:09 am If we are all being honest Farrell should be binned and our FH should be Ford and Smith. But that's never going to happen sadly!
+1
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

But we obviously have to budget financially for these players and you can’t get 2 top/international quality 10’s in without undermining the squad elsewhere. We must plan for Ford being away with England (unless Borthwick knows Eddie’s plans for sure that he won’t be used) but at the same time we must accept there is the chance he might not be away with England.

I’d say Ford, Burns, Hegerty and possibly a youngish project should reasonably cover us. My view is we need to see upgrades in other positions over and above fly half.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Who thinks we’ll get some announcements today?