LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RagingBull »

TBF he doesn't really seem to say if he plans on staying longer or not.

Certainly seems to care about Eddie's thoughts on it though.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Dangerous4 »

Shame if he stays, as he would be a brilliant addition to our squad, but good kck to him whatever he decides.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

True , there was no intimation of any intent to return 'home' but really that would be the case.Only if and when the time is right for all concerned would anything be revealed.Would still be hopeful , but if not Kruis, I still believe a quality second row will be arriving.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

It was the bit at the start that made me think he wouldn't be coming back soon.

Around the start of 2019, George Kruis asked England coach Eddie Jones for a private word.

At a time when most players were wondering whether they would go to Japan for that year's Rugby World Cup, Kruis wanted to talk about something more long term.

He wanted to know Jones' opinion on making Japan his home.

Suppose that could just mean a couple of years though...
Rozza
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rozza »

In the interview with him in The Guardian last week he seemed to make it pretty clear his preference would be to return to Saracens if and when he returns to the UK: “I’m passionate about Saracens and England, and I’d love the opportunity at some point in my career to play for them again. I know I’ve distanced myself by doing this … and it’s tough to watch both teams play, especially England in games you’d love to be involved in. But then I wouldn’t be having the experience I’m having now."
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Franco Smith has gotten a offer from Tigers according to Italian media.

Guy Noves replacing him with Italy
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:05 am Franco Smith has gotten a offer from Tigers according to Italian media.

I wonder what role he would fill for us, he was a backs coach for the Cheetahs I think?

He doesn't have the best record from what I can tell but he did get a couple of reasonable finishes with the Cheetahs as head coach once they joined the Pro14
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 am
RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:05 am Franco Smith has gotten a offer from Tigers according to Italian media.

I wonder what role he would fill for us, he was a backs coach for the Cheetahs I think?

He doesn't have the best record from what I can tell but he did get a couple of reasonable finishes with the Cheetahs as head coach once they joined the Pro14
Although Matt Smith hasn’t done a terrible job, having an experienced backs coach instead would do no harm at all. Borthwick knows what he wants and won’t settle for anything less so whoever is brought in i have full faith in them.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Every team Franco Smith has coached has had imo a very dangerous attack despite limited budgets.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:46 am Every team Franco Smith has coached has had imo a very dangerous attack despite limited budgets.
Attack coach is what I'm hoping if he does come
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don’t see what other position it would be that we offered.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:04 pm I don’t see what other position it would be that we offered.
I hope so as that is his main skill set.
Hehehehehehehehe
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:46 am Every team Franco Smith has coached has had imo a very dangerous attack despite limited budgets.
Italy's attack has looked at its best under his reign, do they play in the same way his Cheetahs side did?
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Interesting rumour.

However, that's a big drop to go from head coach of a national team to backs coach at club level. That said, that's what Stuart Lancaster did with England / Leinster.