LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:33 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:47 pm Is it just me but I don't rate Green.
I said it before, but I don't rate Green. Not consistant, and fails to dominate.
I think he does a lot of the non visible stuff, the kind of bloke you need to allow others to shine, providing the other lock compliments him, it's a good mix, you need that sort of player in your team/squad, to borrow a phrase from Wendyball "The Water Carrier".
I always thought he was hard done by when he left the club.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:56 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:27 pm If Tebbatt keeps developing well I'd hope the club will bring him back in. Similar to Henderson, Manz and Chessum. Hopefully they are keeping tabs on Ollie Smith v2 as well.

Kit Smith looks to have the skill set of a 7 to me.

Did Sam Eveleigh stay in rugby? I always rated him in the U18s and he looked a natural leader but was never the biggest.
Pretty sure Tebbatt is with Sale now.
Went to MMU got into the U20’s squad
I knew he was a Manchester but not that he'd joined Sale. A shame but not unexpected.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ABClub wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:31 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:27 pm If Tebbatt keeps developing well I'd hope the club will bring him back in. Similar to Henderson, Manz and Chessum. Hopefully they are keeping tabs on Ollie Smith v2 as well.

Kit Smith looks to have the skill set of a 7 to me.

Did Sam Eveleigh stay in rugby? I always rated him in the U18s and he looked a natural leader but was never the biggest.
I knew he was a Manchester but not that he'd joined Sale. A shame but not unexpected.
From what I understand MMU is their Loughborough basically.
Players of Interest tend to get approached to join MMU with a training program with Sale.

Nothing stopping us signing him though, Henderson was from Glasgow.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:14 am
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:16 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:08 am Why would Bonilla be leaving early?
if he's not going to get a look in, at least in part due to foreign player restrictions why would he stay?
Borthwick said him and Wigglesworth were helping was helping with attack coaching after Rob Taylor left.
whilst that is great I'm sure he would want playing time
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

In terms of development squad we have currently with Whitcombe, Henderson, Martin, Chessum, JVP, Kelly, Steward basically senior squad anyway and everyone is counting them in senior depth.
Which leaves a squad of coming up
2. Vanes
3. Dimen, Rowntree
4. Manz
6. Ilione, Ashworth
7. Lavin, K.Smith,
8. T.Smith,
9. Law, Edwards
14. Browning

Dimen, Lavin and Smith will prob be looking at trying to break into that squad or prob start to look elsewhere soonish.
Thom Smith I feel is close to breaking in.
Dimen maybe might be looking to move on, with Hurd coming in, although I'm a fan of stacking the forwards with development players as you always need bodies. Could see Seb Smith and Tim Hoyt potentially coming in to replace Whitcombe and Dimen.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:54 pm
if he's not going to get a look in, at least in part due to foreign player restrictions why would he stay?
Borthwick said him and Wigglesworth were helping was helping with attack coaching after Rob Taylor left.
Yes.
But not every club has the space to bring in a 10 mid season.
Taufua was brought in as a medical joker and will be then moved on a longer contract for next season.

Bonilla has already played 3 games so his cap counts for this season, and if Borthwick likes the stuff he brings off the pitch then personally I don't see him leaving.
I also think Freddie still has to play against the Top league teams in 2 weeks
From wiki
"This season was going to comprise of three stages that included all 16 2021 Top League teams and also the top four sides from the 2021 Top Challenge League. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic in Japan the season was postponed and re-formatted. [1] Stage one will see the Top League sides split into two conferences, whilst the Top Challenge League sides play amongst themselves. The Playoff stage will see all sixteen Top League side and the top four Top Challenge League sides play a five round knockout tournament"

His team will play the 8th placed White conference team (Alex Goode's Green Rockets) on April 17th
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Agree he'll want play, so pretty sure he'll leave after this season, but the question was regarding leaving early in his contract.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:10 pm

Agree he'll want play, so pretty sure he'll leave after this season, but the question was regarding leaving early in his contract.
if he was able to find another team I'm sure we would let him leave
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:38 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:31 pm

From what I understand MMU is their Loughborough basically.
Players of Interest tend to get approached to join MMU with a training program with Sale.

Nothing stopping us signing him though, Henderson was from Glasgow.
Tebbatt listed to play for Sale A against Falcons A

https://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news ... hyRxfevqo0
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

IMO I have no clue why we didn't give him a contract.
Feel like we really missed out on him, and I don't say that about many U18 leavers.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Was he part of last summers intake, Illone and Kit Smith year?
Maybe it was due to the fact we already had Ashworth, Lavin and Thom Smith.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I thought Jordan initially had gone to the States on some form of scholarship but perhaps I'm misremembering?

It was a strong year for back rows though with Ilione and Smith promoted, Muncaster away to Edinburgh and Tebbatt missing out on promotion. Also Bobby Singer who impressed at 8 as well as lock and Lynx Noumey (someone who caught the eye early on) moved from back row to loosehead.

Ashworth impressed with the U18s but lots of competition for the A-league followed by covid means he must have played very little rugby since winning the 2018/19 U18 title.

Ashworth's haircut in his squad photo is glorious I feel it should be noted. He could've auditioned for a role in the Queen biopic with those locks. There are a few good looks in the dev squad head shots to be fair. Martin and Manz looking like extras from Game of Thrones, Archie Vanes somehow snuck a Blue Steel in that Ben Stiller would be proud of.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ladygaga out for the rest of the season ☹️
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:45 pm Was he part of last summers intake, Illone and Kit Smith year?
Maybe it was due to the fact we already had Ashworth, Lavin and Thom Smith.
most likely but hope not the case, would rather they try to stack players at that level since they will mainly be out on loan anyway to begin with.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Doesn't sound like Kruis is ready to come back to the UK yet....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56628037