LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RagingBull »

teds wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:03 pm For me it might depend whether Wigglesworth will still be here next season. Can anyone confirm?
Personally I would be surprised if he wasn't.
I think Borthwick rates him both on and off the pitch.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Tough one really. White is much better than I think people give him credit for. The recent appearances this season I’ve been very impressed, kicking game has improved massively under what I assume is Wigglesworth mentoring.

Problem is, JVP has surpassed him. Depends on whether Wigglesworth will be more a player coach next season. With a long term view you’d want to keep him I would’ve thought.
rugbym4dmike
Tiger Cub

Post by rugbym4dmike »

We also have Harry Simmons who I really rated until his illness struck, although it would appear Borthwick sees him more as a winger.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

rugbym4dmike wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:11 pm We also have Harry Simmons who I really rated until his illness struck, although it would appear Borthwick sees him more as a winger.
Maybe we'll hang on to him if he gives extra versatility?
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Just putting this on as a point for discussion. Who do we think will leave in the summer and who might go? Some because of lack of opportunities, others because of where they are likely to be in the pecking order, which might not fit in with their career aspirations.
I’ve included those we already know about.

Leave. Might
De Bruin, Marfo, Bower
Kerr
Lavanini
Coughlan, Lewis, Smith, Lavin
White
Bonilla, Henry
Taute
Williams, Olowafela,
A-Robinson, Simmons,
Van Wyk, Worth
Some of the 6 back three will go but not sure who or how many.

Thoughts?
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Dokie wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:08 pm Just putting this on as a point for discussion. Who do we think will leave in the summer and who might go? Some because of lack of opportunities, others because of where they are likely to be in the pecking order, which might not fit in with their career aspirations.

Leave. Might
De Bruin, Marfo, Bower
Kerr
Lavanini
White
Bonilla, Henry
Taute
Williams, Olowafela,
A-Robinson, Simmons,
Van Wyk, Worth

Thoughts?
This hasn’t come out as I typed it!
I typed the mights as Smith, Lavin, White, Taute and all of the back 3.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

The backrow in the development squad is looking a bit stacked at the moment, but it is a high attrition position and next season we'll have the A league and Prem Cup almost certainly back. Thom Smith was captaining the club just 8 or so months ago and has only really not featured due to the lack of those games, can't see him leaving.

Lavin & Ashworth could as there is a reason they've not really featured much. As they are outside the cap and (surely) not expensive I'd always favour retaining and loaning out.

I think I'd err towards retaining them and not re-signing Coghlan and probably Lewis. I like Lewis but its not happening and he's been leapfrogged by Martin & Chessum in the back row. We'd then have the 4 South Africans and Wallace as "senior" options and Reffell, Martin, Chessum, T.Smith, Illione as younger options with Lavin, Ashworth, K.Smith + any promotions this season as out on loan.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Dokie wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:08 pm Just putting this on as a point for discussion. Who do we think will leave in the summer and who might go? Some because of lack of opportunities, others because of where they are likely to be in the pecking order, which might not fit in with their career aspirations.

Leave. Might
De Bruin, Marfo, Bower
Kerr
Lavanini
White
Bonilla, Henry
Taute
Williams, Olowafela,
A-Robinson, Simmons,
Van Wyk, Worth

Thoughts?
This is how I called it a few weeks ago...
Who do we reckon is leaving?

I currently have it split roughly like this:

Definitely leaving:
De Bruin
Lavannini

Likely leaving
Bower
Diaz Bonilla
Coghlan
Kerr
Marfo
Williams (loan)
Worth

50/50 leaving
Taute
Olowafela
Aspland-Robinson
Lewis

Maybe leaving
Dimen
Smith T
Wallace
White
Kerr now left, Williams is back playing for Nottingham so he's returned from his loan with us.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

It's always hard to tell with Tigers not releasing contract lengths but I believe the below is the squad in contract for next season. From that squad a starting lock to replace Lavanini and strong loosehead to replace de Bruin (who himself replaced Gigena) would be my target areas for recruitment.

1.Genge, Leatigaga, Whitcombe
2.Montoya, Youngs, Clare, Dolly
3.Cole, Heyes, Francois van Wyk, Hurd
4.Wells, Snyman, Chessum
5.Green, Martin, Henderson
6.Liebenberg, Smith
7.Reffell, Marco van Staden, Wallace
8.Wiese, Brink

9.Youngs, JvP, Wigglesworth
10.Ford, Burns

11.Nadolo, Murimurivalu, Potter
12.Scott, Kelly
13.Moroni, Taute
14.Porter, Kobus van Wyk, Olowofela
15.Steward, Simmons

I hope that Henry stays to round out the fly-half depth but McPhillips did show better form recently too. With the PRC and A-league hopefully running next season we will use more senior backs than this season so keeping either Worth or Aspland-Robinson for depth could work well too. If the coaches have their eye on another Dan Kelly esque signing then even better!

Browning should be ready for senior game time next season at least in the PRC I think. He looks a terrific young player.

Illione is already in the England U20 squad as well so he's developing quickly too.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Van Wyk is a loosehead
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ABClub wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:36 pm It's always hard to tell with Tigers not releasing contract lengths but I believe the below is the squad in contract for next season. From that squad a starting lock to replace Lavanini and strong loosehead to replace de Bruin (who himself replaced Gigena) would be my target areas for recruitment.

4.Wells, Snyman, Chessum
6.Liebenberg, Smith
8.Wiese, Brink

10.Ford, Burns

12.Scott, Kelly
13.Moroni, Taute
15.Steward, Simmons

I hope that Henry stays to round out the fly-half depth but McPhillips did show better form recently too. With the PRC and A-league hopefully running next season we will use more senior backs than this season so keeping either Worth or Aspland-Robinson for depth could work well too. If the coaches have their eye on another Dan Kelly esque signing then even better!

Browning should be ready for senior game time next season at least in the PRC I think. He looks a terrific young player.

Illione is already in the England U20 squad as well so he's developing quickly too.
So how do you like the look of a potential match day 23:

1. Genge
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Snyman
5. Martin
6. Liebenberg
7. Van Staden
8. Wiese
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Moroni
14. Potter
15. Steward

16. Clare 17. Van Wyk 18. Heyes 19. Wells 20. Brink 21. JvP 22. Burns 23. Murimurivalu

This is outrageous!

With the likes of Leatigaga, Green, Henderson, Reffell, Wallace, Porter, Van Wyk, Kelly as strength in depth.. oh I can’t wait to be back in the stands :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think Wallace will be surplus to requirements.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:05 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:36 pm It's always hard to tell with Tigers not releasing contract lengths but I believe the below is the squad in contract for next season. From that squad a starting lock to replace Lavanini and strong loosehead to replace de Bruin (who himself replaced Gigena) would be my target areas for recruitment.

4.Wells, Snyman, Chessum
6.Liebenberg, Smith
8.Wiese, Brink

10.Ford, Burns

12.Scott, Kelly
13.Moroni, Taute
15.Steward, Simmons

So how do you like the look of a potential match day 23:

1. Genge
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Snyman
5. Martin
6. Liebenberg
7. Van Staden
8. Wiese
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Moroni
14. Potter
15. Steward

16. Clare 17. Van Wyk 18. Heyes 19. Wells 20. Brink 21. JvP 22. Burns 23. Murimurivalu

This is outrageous!

With the likes of Leatigaga, Green, Henderson, Reffell, Wallace, Porter, Van Wyk, Kelly as strength in depth.. oh I can’t wait to be back in the stands :smt023
Very much like the look of that 23!! If they continue to gel and improve as we have seen as this season has progressed that could be a team to watch!

Add in Taute, Simmons, Chessum, Dolly, Hurd, Whitcombe, McPhillips, Browning, Henry etc to that and the whole squad looks quite nicely balanced. Get an attack coach in the mould of Franco Smith (not sure if he is still rumoured?!?) and I think we will be set up nicely for a few years.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

LE18 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:13 pm I think Wallace will be surplus to requirements.
Possibly. But I hope not. He's a great character and solid reserve
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Back to Wig - I am of the belief he is set to get into coaching and under the mentorship of SB. Is he to stay at Tigers as a player coach or is he off to get coaching experience.? I thought he was bought in with that in mind?