LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RagingBull »

Board of Directors
Chairman: Peter Tom CBE
CEO: Andrea Pinchen
Non-Exec: Petar Cvetkovic
Non-Exec: Duncan Green
Non-Exec: Fintan Kennedy
Non-Exec: Tom Scott

LEICESTER TIGERS COACHING TEAM – SEASON 2020/21
Head Coach: Steve Borthwick
General Manager: Leigh Jones
Defence Coach: Mike Ford
Scrum Coach: Tom Harrison (Temp)
Attack Coach: Matt Smith (Temp)
Assistant Forwards: Brett Deacon
Head of Physical Performance: Aled Walters
Head of Medical: Simon Wallace
Senior Performance Analyst: Simon Barbour
Head of Elite Performance Recruitment: N/A
Team Manager: Tessa Carrington
Academy Manager: Dave Wilks
Academy Head Coach: Matt Smith
Academy Forwards Coach: Tom Harrison
Junior Academy Manager: Greg Mannion

OUT:
Jan McGinty

IN
Leigh Jones

Senior Players:
Hooker: Clare, Dolly, Montoya, Youngs
Props: Cole, Bower, de Bruin, Genge, Heyes, Hurd, Leatigaga, Marfo
Locks: Green, Lavanini, Wells,
Back Row: Brink, Coghlan, Lewis, Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese
Scrum Half: Simmons, Wigglesworth, White, Youngs
Fly Half: Bonilla, Ford, Henry, McPhillips
Centre: Moroni, Porter, Scott, Taute,
Winger: Aslpand-Robinson, Nadolo Olowofela, Potter, Williams, Van Wyk
Full Back: Murimurivalu, Worth

Rumours
IN

OUT

In
[/i]Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)
Luan de Bruin (Cheetahs) 7 months deal.
Julian Montoya (Jaguares)
Francois Van Wyk (Northampton Saints)
Daryl Marfo (Short term)
Marco Van Staden (Bulls)
Eli Snyman (Treviso)
Freddie Burns (Toyota Industries Shuttles)
Nic Dolly (Coventry)
Juan Pablo Socino (Saracens)
Bryce Hegarty (Reds)

Re-Signed
Jasper Wiese
Dan Cole
Nemani Nadolo
Charlie Clare

Out
Jordan Taufua (Lyon)
Tomas Lavanini (Clermont)
Facundo Gigena (London Irish)
Blake Enever (Western Force)
Mamukashvili
Tom Hardwick
Luan De Bruin (Edinburgh)
Jake Kerr (Bristol)
Luke Wallace (Harlequins)
Zak Henry (Pau)
Johnny McPhillips (US Carcassonne)
Joaquin Tito Bonilla (N/A)
Ben White
Ryan Bower
Drayyl Marfo
Jordan Coghlan
Sam Lewis (Calvisiano)

2019/20 Development Squad
Hooker: Vanes
Props: Dimen, Rowntree Whitcombe,
Locks: Chessum, Henderson, Manz, Martin,
Back Row: Ashworth, Gough, Ilione, Lavin, K.Smith, T.Smith
Scrum Half: Law, van Poortvliet, Edwards
Fly Half:
Centre: Kelly
Wings: Browning,
Full Back: Steward

New Signings:

Re-Signed:
James Whitcombe
Dan Kelly
Ollie Chessum

OUT
Osman Dimen
Ollie Ashworth
Kit Smith
Henri Lavin
Last edited by RagingBull on Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Knightonian

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Knightonian »

Loving the titles
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Scott1 »

Sterling work as always RB!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

As always great work and great title!!!
Last edited by TigerFeetSteve on Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Well done R B. Again! :smt023
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Does anyone have any ideas about how many are going to leave? Top of my head Kerr, Bower, Coglan, Bonilla, McPhillips and Worth all seem unlikely to get any game time next year. I suspect we can add Olowafela and Lewis to that as well?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:05 pm Does anyone have any ideas about how many are going to leave? Top of my head Kerr, Bower, Coglan, Bonilla, McPhillips and Worth all seem unlikely to get any game time next year. I suspect we can add Olowafela and Lewis to that as well?
I think that's a reasonable list. I think that McPhillips is more likely to stay than Bonilla (purely because of the match day overseas quota conundrum). Bower I also think is one of the others who are more likely to be released. We'll see in due time I guess.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:44 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:05 pm Does anyone have any ideas about how many are going to leave? Top of my head Kerr, Bower, Coglan, Bonilla, McPhillips and Worth all seem unlikely to get any game time next year. I suspect we can add Olowafela and Lewis to that as well?
I think that's a reasonable list. I think that McPhillips is more likely to stay than Bonilla (purely because of the match day overseas quota conundrum). Bower I also think is one of the others who are more likely to be released. We'll see in due time I guess.
TBH I thought that Bonilla got the SB treatment that superfluous players did - not a dicky. He is quite ruthless, and I wondered if Bonilla was already off.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

We need 4 hookers absolute bare minimum, so if Kerr goes (which is possible as I doubt he wants ro be 4th choice), I expect him to be replaced, you need 2 in every match squad and it's a position injuries are common, Vanes is coming through but probably to the extent of covering the extra hooker during Argentina periods.

Bower - agree likely he's going, one out of him and Marfo may get a contract (much more likely Marfo than Bower IMO), but also very possible they may get another prop elsewhere.

Coghlan, personally I think it's him vs Lewis on loan for one spot in squad depth, possibly neither, but have a sneaking suspicion they may keep one.

Bonilla - was supposedly only hired on a short term (but not been 100% confirmed) think Burns is most likely replacing him, similar ages likely similarish wages.

McPhillips - very unlikely to leave especially with Hardwick gone, certainly unless Diaz Bonilla stays, with Ford currently in the international set up you can't go into a season with only 3 Fly halves one gone for a season.

Worth, like with Coghlan, I reckon him and Olowafela are probably competing for the same spot in the squad long term, that said with them being loaned to super rugby which has different season dates I suspect they're both contracted for next year and they get a full season in Aus at least before we make call on which of them longer term.

David Williams was only ever with us on loan, suspect he'll be let go back to Nottingham.

Sam Aspland-Robinson may be looking for more gametime, but if he leaves (certainly it Williams goes too) I'd expect a replacement, though possible we wouldn't with Burns versatility on covering fullback and the wage cap reduction it could be somewhere that the squad is trimmed, but that is less likely than being replaced.

Ben White may be another who's dropped slightly down the pecking order, but with Wigglesworth possibly retiring soon I think it more likey he will stay, especially as in some of the stuff I saw against Exeter that Wigglesworth seems to have helped develop his box kicking a bit too. Plus again like with Fly half, with Simmons now considered a back 3 player doubt we'd let him go without replacing.

With the Development squad, Thom Smith, got the chance to captain Tigers a bit during midweek games may be getting frustrated, but that's hopefully being managed by the club and explaining that with the prem cup etc restarting next year that opportunities will come.

All in all I don't think we'll lose too many, we need to remember in other years these fringe guys get games in A-leagues and prem cups and that's what we need to sell to these guys.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:46 pm
TBH I thought that Bonilla got the SB treatment that superfluous players did - not a dicky. He is quite ruthless, and I wondered if Bonilla was already off.
It's a tough one I guess. He could be a rhythm player (especially kicking wise) who needs to play regularly and as he's not been he's looked far from the player that he's previously shown. TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if he was, as he's not been near a match day squad since Montoya went down injured and that would be the perfect time to have him in the side/bench
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:46 pm
I don't think we've had that with Bonilla, with Taylor leaving, he was one of those along with Wigglesworth who was stated as helping our attacks coaching, he's also been quite prominent in various social media photos from the club from training. I think he suffered from match rustiness and with Montoya coming early gave us overseas rule headaches, he has fallen behind McPhillips too, but think we'll keep him till the end of the year especially if he's assisting on coaching.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would agree with that list also of players I expect to see leave.
Bower
Kerr
Lewis
Coghlan
Bonilla
Worth
Olowofela
Ashland-Robinson
Are certainly players I could see leaving.

It would be a shame too see the academy players go. Lewis is a player I especially think will do well really.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Well done for keeping this going, RB.

Just maybe a point to add to the Directors section, if you want.
Fintan Kennedy has taken on the important Finance Director role, which was vacant owing to Ian Walker's departure.

As an aside, Fintan Kennedy is, I think, a Jersey-based finance professional. He is well known to, and will be in close contact with, Messrs Tom and Scott. He is also the Finance Director of Sealyham Investments, which is a Scott family investment vehicle, and which I think is the entity used to provide some of the loan monies recently made available to LFC plc.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nic Dolly former Sale Sharks Hooker has been added to the Challenge cup squad
Along with Will Hurd, Marfo and Moroni.