LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RagingBull »

On eggchasers JB and Cocker both saying they have heard Tigers have signed a very good back rower for next season.

For me another back rower (If it isn't Van Staden) would suggest 2 things potentially Coghlan, Wallace and Lewis off.
and/or
Martin/Chessum moving to lock?

The other option being a 6/lock hybrid.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:53 am On eggchasers JB and Cocker both saying they have heard Tigers have signed a very good back rower for next season.

For me another back rower (If it isn't Van Staden) would suggest 2 things potentially Coghlan, Wallace and Lewis off.
and/or

Stands a good chance it might not be Van Staden as that’s common knowledge. Exciting times! Could it be another out and out 8 do you think?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:09 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:53 am On eggchasers JB and Cocker both saying they have heard Tigers have signed a very good back rower for next season.

and/or

Stands a good chance it might not be Van Staden as that’s common knowledge. Exciting times! Could it be another out and out 8 do you think?
Do we really need another backrower? Thought that’s been our strongest position this season, and that’s before you add in Van Staden joining us.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 am

and/or

Do we really need another backrower? Thought that’s been our strongest position this season, and that’s before you add in Van Staden joining us.
Maybe only if we are losing one or two and Martin is going into the second row permanently as RB said. I would personally prefer other positions to be added to though.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well it must be a well known name, as JB and Cocker don’t have that much in depth knowledge of squads they all thought our SA signings were a bit on the poor side when announced.

Borthwick clearly likes his back row.
It was shown start of season when we had 2 back rowers on the bench over another lock. It’s also clearly and attitudinal position brink and Reffell both out for what a month each? Also a position that regularly picks up cards.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If Martin becomes an England regular too we will need cover during international periods.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:20 am
Maybe only if we are losing one or two and Martin is going into the second row permanently as RB said. I would personally prefer other positions to be added to though.
Could be we wanted a Lavanini replacement but couldn't get one so are forwarding plans to use Martin and Chessum in the row and are bringing in a big bloke for the backrow. An 8 or 6 would make sense as it would facilitate Borthwick's rotation policy further.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:49 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:20 am

Could be we wanted a Lavanini replacement but couldn't get one so are forwarding plans to use Martin and Chessum in the row and are bringing in a big bloke for the backrow. An 8 or 6 would make sense as it would facilitate Borthwick's rotation policy further.
Good shout! I’m excited to see who it is!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

and/or

Think Martin being on England's radar also might be a factor.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Did Yato sign a new contract at Clermont or not? :smt003
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:05 pm Did Yato sign a new contract at Clermont or not? :smt003
That would be nice lol...

Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's a EQP given the makeup of the rest of our backrow.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Agree- think it will be EPQ. Don’t forget as well that Weise and Van Staden will probably miss chunks in the Autumn as well with RSA.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Around 33 mins into the YouTube podcast if anyone is interested - sounds like it is a new signing rather than anyone already signed based of that, but I could be wrong.

With a base of:
6 - Hanro,
7 - van Staden, Reffell
8 - Wiese, Brink

Then question marks over Wallace, Coghlan, Lewis and whether Martin and Chessum are seen as locks or hybrids - could leave options.

Whatever happens - van Staden is a brilliant signing imo so if they are referring to him then I’m excited. If it’s someone else, given how excited or impressed JB and Cocker and the other bloke (apologies I can’t remember his name) seemed, I’m excited for any announcements... (and I agree I think it could be EQP based on our squad makeup so far)

Either way looking forwards to next year - and it’s great to see others talking positively about our chances!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:39 pm Around 33 mins into the YouTube podcast if anyone is interested - sounds like it is a new signing rather than anyone already signed based of that, but I could be wrong.

With a base of:
6 - Hanro,
7 - van Staden, Reffell
8 - Wiese, Brink

Then question marks over Wallace, Coghlan, Lewis and whether Martin and Chessum are seen as locks or hybrids - could leave options.

Whatever happens - van Staden is a brilliant signing imo so if they are referring to him then I’m excited. If it’s someone else, given how excited or impressed JB and Cocker and the other bloke (apologies I can’t remember his name) seemed, I’m excited for any announcements... (and I agree I think it could be EQP based on our squad makeup so far)

Either way looking forwards to next year - and it’s great to see others talking positively about our chances!
Have you a link to the podcast please?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigers86asw wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:37 pm Agree- think it will be EPQ. Don’t forget as well that Weise and Van Staden will probably miss chunks in the Autumn as well with RSA.
Considering Van Staden hasn't been ask to go to an alignment camp I don't know if he is in their plans.

I think the back row rumour does have some legs given both JB and Cockers didn't seem to have heard from the other.
Last edited by RagingBull on Mon May 17, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.