LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by trendylfj »

I am wrong in thinking that players out on loan and do not play in the prem are not counted for salary cap purposes? JO and GW will have to have improved greatly if they are to be considered for the 1st 23.
Hehehehehehehehe
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Noggs »

I believe the cap is on wages. Hence, if a player is on loan another club pays the wages and he doesn't count towards the Tigers cap limit.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:41 am
fentiger wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:34 am Was always impressed by Socino when I saw him in a Newcastle shirt so have no doubt about his quality. He's a player with the x factor that can unlock defences and seeing him line up in our back line will be very exciting. We now have some quality options in the centre with Scott, Kelly, Socino, Moroni, Porter. Looking forward to seeing Socino and Moroni play together although I do wonder about the overseas player rule and the fact Montoya and Moroni will be nailed on starters.

As for Hegarty.. not really seen much of him to be honest but he can cover fly half, centre and full back so seems like a perfect replacement for Henry. With JMcP, Henry and Bonilla all leaving and Burns, Hegarty and Socino inbound it seems like we have opted for the experienced route to bolster our backs division. We have some great options now in the backs:

Wouldn't mind seeing Youngs Ford Nadolo Socino Moroni Murimurivalu Hegarty playing together! With JvP Burns Potter Kelly Scott and Steward all more than worthy starting options in their own right.. as as we all know SB tends to prefer the whole squad mentality over a first XV and second XV so we are shaping up nicely :smt023
I understand Socino has an Italian passport :smt017
He definitely has according to his Linkedin a/c
That’s great. I figured he must have otherwise I doubt we’d have signed him but thanks for the clarification
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Rod wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:50 pm With Olowafela and Worth, if they are not good enough now, I can't see a loan spell making them better.
I agree, for the same reasons.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Bryce Hegarty Highlights Reel for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbAK88s6rY
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Think Jordan Olowofela will come back full of confidence. Under Murphy he had shown excellent potential with good pace, some outstanding finishing and good lines of running. He then had a really awful shoulder injury v Quins ( was at the Stoop ) trying to stop what proved to be Quins’ winning try. I met him a week later at Welford Road where I said I was sorry he’d got injured. His reply, “ Thanks but I’m very sorry I didn’t stop Quins’ scoring!” I’d imagine that sort of attitude has impressed Steve Borthwick. Let’s not forget( for different reasons) Tom Varndel was sent to Bedford, came back and went on to be one of the Premierships’ top try scorers for us and Wasps.
Jordan’s pace, bursts into the line( he set TV and May up for a few tries)is just what we need.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Of all the loanees, if we wanted to offload them (even if they had been under contract) Olowafela would have been the one to get an offer. Western Force I think would have taken him permanently, so his return suggests we wanted to keep him. Some of the other loanees who were out last year may nkt have had other clubs trying to sign them so as they were contracted to employ them we may well have had to take them back, but Jordan it only makes sense that we're keeping him because Borthwick wants him.

Personally as much as I'd like to see the new signings we've got I don't expect them to be first XV players in the main so I'm more interested to see who we've signed up to an extension. If some of the youngsters like Steward or Reffell have extended that will be huge for the club
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:45 pm Think Jordan Olowofela will come back full of confidence. Under Murphy he had shown excellent potential with good pace, some outstanding finishing and good lines of running. He then had a really awful shoulder injury v Quins ( was at the Stoop ) trying to stop what proved to be Quins’ winning try. I met him a week later at Welford Road where I said I was sorry he’d got injured. His reply, “ Thanks but I’m very sorry I didn’t stop Quins’ scoring!” I’d imagine that sort of attitude has impressed Steve Borthwick. Let’s not forget( for different reasons) Tom Varndel was sent to Bedford, came back and went on to be one of the Premierships’ top try scorers for us and Wasps.
Jordan’s pace, bursts into the line( he set TV and May up for a few tries)is just what we need.
It’s always been his defence that is his weakness so if that’s improved I can see him getting a look in.. if not then I doubt we will see much of him. Hope it’s the first scenario as he could do very well for us but the defence needs to be better
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:26 am
Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:45 pm Think Jordan Olowofela will come back full of confidence. Under Murphy he had shown excellent potential with good pace, some outstanding finishing and good lines of running. He then had a really awful shoulder injury v Quins ( was at the Stoop ) trying to stop what proved to be Quins’ winning try. I met him a week later at Welford Road where I said I was sorry he’d got injured. His reply, “ Thanks but I’m very sorry I didn’t stop Quins’ scoring!” I’d imagine that sort of attitude has impressed Steve Borthwick. Let’s not forget( for different reasons) Tom Varndel was sent to Bedford, came back and went on to be one of the Premierships’ top try scorers for us and Wasps.
It’s always been his defence that is his weakness so if that’s improved I can see him getting a look in.. if not then I doubt we will see much of him. Hope it’s the first scenario as he could do very well for us but the defence needs to be better
I agree his defence was his weakness, but also his confidence was shot, he certainly has got that back now it seems
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JO a nice lad (chat at Cardiff in a preseason) with an eye for a gap and the pace to exploit it. I would be glad to see him back and succeeding under SB.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:06 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:26 am
I agree his defence was his weakness, but also his confidence was shot, he certainly has got that back now it seems
I agree TFS.. it was a tough place to be mentally for sure and he seems to have bounced back. Must be in SB's plans otherwise he would have been let go so let's hope he can bring some of that red hot try scoring form back to MWWR next season :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Simmons is the young back 3 player I’m most interested.

Either at wing or fullback.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:57 am Simmons is the young back 3 player I’m most interested.

I agree, he definitely has potential. But why do you think SB isnot yet trying him out? He does have some speed!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Pellsey wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:05 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:57 am Simmons is the young back 3 player I’m most interested.

I agree, he definitely has potential. But why do you think SB isnot yet trying him out? He does have some speed!
SB does like kicking, so maybe some kicking and positional work. If he can get solid positioning and first phase kicking he will be a great asset at the back. His raw speed is something we have been crying out for. Would love to see him getting some game time next season that’s for sure!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Xavier Hastings has left bath.
Looking at the development squad currently wouldn't be the worst signing.