LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=TigerFeetSteve post_id=773632 time=1616755601 user_id=34255]
[quote=TigerMac3 post_id=773623 time=1616754292 user_id=11625]
Seems even stranger given that we’ve only recently released a Georgian international hooker. Spinning plates with cap space maybe. Can’t see Kerr sticking around. Expect him to head North.
[/quote]

That I think is cap induced, he may well of been the guy brought in to cover till Montoya arrived, he came early we let him go. Mamukashvilli was never really wanting to be 3rd or 4th choice, a young 21 year old makes more sense in this role IMO.
[/quote]

You may well be right, but do you think the foreign player rule also counted against Mamukashvilli?.
VernonAtrium

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by VernonAtrium »

'Return of the Fredi' works, as well.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

MurphysLaw wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:28 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:46 am
TigerMac3 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 am Seems even stranger given that we’ve only recently released a Georgian international hooker. Spinning plates with cap space maybe. Can’t see Kerr sticking around. Expect him to head North.
That I think is cap induced, he may well of been the guy brought in to cover till Montoya arrived, he came early we let him go. Mamukashvilli was never really wanting to be 3rd or 4th choice, a young 21 year old makes more sense in this role IMO.
You may well be right, but do you think the foreign player rule also counted against Mamukashvilli?.
Yes, TILL the arrival of Montoya. When you have someone of his talent you use Hooker as an overseas slot, so having overseas on the bench is no issue really as you don't play both Hookers at the same time, problem for him was by that time in the season, Clare and Youngs had been playing so well he'd dropped down the pecking order.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

VernonAtrium wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:33 pm 'Return of the Fredi' works, as well.
Nice!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The thing some fans seem to miss about Mamukashvilli is that having signed him as back up, he needed special fitness work before we could play him in the Premiership, shortly after that he was not available to us, in his previous periods in the Premiership he had functioned as a support player and in his time with us he did nothing to show that he was actually of the standard we require, was too old to be considered an improver and was not around enough to be seen to be putting the effort in to prove himself as even our first choice bench option and probably too expensive for third or fourth choice.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:59 am The thing some fans seem to miss about Mamukashvilli is that having signed him as back up, he needed special fitness work before we could play him in the Premiership, shortly after that he was not available to us, in his previous periods in the Premiership he had functioned as a support player and in his time with us he did nothing to show that he was actually of the standard we require, was too old to be considered an improver and was not around enough to be seen to be putting the effort in to prove himself as even our first choice bench option and probably too expensive for third or fourth choice.
Perfectly put

Our balance of Hookers is really good atm. Assuming Kerr leaves then it leaves us.

27 yo 1st choice Hooker in prime International Hooker who is in the mix as best Hooker in the world.

34 yo 2nd choice Hooker real clubman former International, passing on knowledge and experience.

29 yo 3rd choice Hooker does basics well can be relied on whenever he puts the shirt on to put in a shift.

21 yo new signing scored 3 tries in 3 games (despite 2 losses) seems to have potential to be at least a solid club player.

19 yo development prop with bags of potential.

That's a nice balance with Vanes expected to be able to hold down one of the 4 needed squad roles by the time Youngs steps down, even if Kerr is retained we have a 24 yo Internationally capped who still has good potential to improve.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:59 am The thing some fans seem to miss about Mamukashvilli is that having signed him as back up, he needed special fitness work before we could play him in the Premiership, shortly after that he was not available to us, in his previous periods in the Premiership he had functioned as a support player and in his time with us he did nothing to show that he was actually of the standard we require, was too old to be considered an improver and was not around enough to be seen to be putting the effort in to prove himself as even our first choice bench option and probably too expensive for third or fourth choice.
Yeah, but he's Georgian and has a beard = we all overestimate his ability. It's not our fault, we just like bearded Georgians.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:15 pm
Perfectly put

Our balance of Hookers is really good atm. Assuming Kerr leaves then it leaves us.

27 yo 1st choice Hooker in prime International Hooker who is in the mix as best Hooker in the world.

34 yo 2nd choice Hooker real clubman former International, passing on knowledge and experience.

29 yo 3rd choice Hooker does basics well can be relied on whenever he puts the shirt on to put in a shift.

21 yo new signing scored 3 tries in 3 games (despite 2 losses) seems to have potential to be at least a solid club player.

That's a nice balance with Vanes expected to be able to hold down one of the 4 needed squad roles by the time Youngs steps down, even if Kerr is retained we have a 24 yo Internationally capped who still has good potential to improve.
Absolutely this. 2 from 3 required out of Youngs, Kerr and Clare, but all three behind Montoya is overkill. One dropping away to be replaced by a more ‘developing’ option is a far better balance, both squad wise and no doubt salary cap wise. Prop and Lock for me, that’s it. Maybe look at development options at back row and outside backs depending on futures of some guys under doubt. How long did Murimurivalu sign for?
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:13 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:15 pm
Perfectly put

Absolutely this. 2 from 3 required out of Youngs, Kerr and Clare, but all three behind Montoya is overkill. One dropping away to be replaced by a more ‘developing’ option is a far better balance, both squad wise and no doubt salary cap wise. Prop and Lock for me, that’s it. Maybe look at development options at back row and outside backs depending on futures of some guys under doubt. How long did Murimurivalu sign for?
I agree, One or two more signings in terms of players and the squad is looking very nice. Only thing i would like to see is a top quality attach coach to be brought in to make sure that when our backs do get the ball, they can cause some damage with it .
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=TigerFeetSteve post_id=773693 time=1616765993 user_id=34255]
[quote=MurphysLaw post_id=773687 time=1616765289 user_id=3365]
[quote=TigerFeetSteve post_id=773632 time=1616755601 user_id=34255]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, TILL the arrival of Montoya. When you have someone of his talent you use Hooker as an overseas slot, so having overseas on the bench is no issue really as you don't play both Hookers at the same time, problem for him was by that time in the season, Clare and Youngs had been playing so well he'd dropped down the pecking order.
[/quote]

Yes, agree there have been a number of factors, but also the rule of having 2 foreign players on the pitch changed this season...
In the Premiership, the rule on foreign players has been amended to come into line with the regulations in European competitions. A maximum of two foreign players can now be in the matchday 23, at all periods during the season.
So, using a foreign hooker to replace another only works if there are no other foreign players in the 23, such as Moroni.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Just seen in the interviews after Wuss's loss that they have 20 players leaving the club this summer. I know it was painful last year but the new contracts and the pain we went through last year seems to have helped us in the long run. It certainly seems that some clubs just kicked the can down the road a bit.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:57 pm Just seen in the interviews after Wuss's loss that they have 20 players leaving the club this summer. I know it was painful last year but the new contracts and the pain we went through last year seems to have helped us in the long run. It certainly seems that some clubs just kicked the can down the road a bit.
20 is a huge number. I know someone who works there and he had said to me that there would be a sizeable turnover this year but I didn't expect that many
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So next season we potentially have:

First XV

1. Genge
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Snyman
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Van Staden
8. Wiese
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Kelly
13. Moroni
14. Potter
15. Steward

Second XV

1. Van Wyk
2. Youngs
3. Heyes
4. Henderson
5. Green
6. Martin
7. Reffell
8. Brink
9. JvP
10. Burns
11. Van Wyk
12. Scott
13. Taute
14. Porter
15. Murimurivalu

With the likes of Clare, Leatigaga, Chessum, Wallace, Wigglesworth, JMcP, Simmons, Henry waiting in the wings.

I’m not suggesting we rotate like that merely admiring the strength in depth
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I hope we don't but I could see some more potential leavers if that group.
I'm 80% sure another prop will come in leaning more an actual Tighthead now than loosehead with Leatigaga shift and still think we will bring in another lock currently.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is it just me but I don't rate Green.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer