LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercub21

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by tigercub21 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:18 am Yes

Anyway so far the squad is looking like with confirmed (Unofficially confirmed counts) leavers

Hooker: Clare, Dolly, Montoya, Youngs
Props: Cole, Bower, Genge, Heyes, Hurd, Leatigaga, Van Wyk, whitcombe
Locks: Green, Henderson, Snyman, Wells,
Back Row: Brink, Chessum, Coghlan, Lewis, Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese, Van Staden,
Scrum Half: Wigglesworth, White, Van Poortvliet, Youngs
Fly Half: Burns, Ford,
Centre: Kelly, Moroni, Porter, Scott, Taute,
Winger: Aslpand-Robinson, Nadolo, Olowofela, Potter, Simmons, Williams, Van Wyk
Full Back: Steward, Murimurivalu, Worth
Wonder where martin comes in, back or second row?
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Postiger2 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:26 am Moroni confirming on his Instagram that Diaz Bonilla is off
With all due respect, as long as it's not Moroni leaving, I'm not too concerned about Bonilla's departure. That move didn't really work for numerous reasons.

I very much hope Moroni stays however. He's an outstanding player in my opinion. I think we have some very solid options at centre in Scott, Moroni and Kelly. I'd like to see that area strengthened yet further, not diminished by allowing someone of MMs quality to leave.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Thought Moroni played a brilliant cameo yesterday. Rock solid and positionally excellent. Based on SBs comments a week or so ago I’d be confident he’s one we can expect to see announced as ‘continuing the journey’
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Got a feeling Scott Might move on guess we will find out soon enough
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

For me with only Ford and Burns I would prefer an established 3rd choice FH then either have a young 4th choice or a hybrid 4th choice. With injuries and Ford away I would be uncomfortable with an inexperienced FH next off the rank
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Faulks04 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:47 am Got a feeling Scott Might move on guess we will find out soon enough
Hope not!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:49 am For me with only Ford and Burns I would prefer an established 3rd choice FH then either have a young 4th choice or a hybrid 4th choice. With injuries and Ford away I would be uncomfortable with an inexperienced FH next off the rank
It would be very silly for us to go into next season with only two fly half’s. A few other prem clubs seem to have very promising young talent coming through at 10, so i would like to think that is the way we might be looking.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

A lot of faith is being placed on the returning Freddie Burns. The fact is that when he left us for Bath he was never able to displace Rhys Priestland as their first choice. Playing in Japan is no preparation for the rigours of a Premiership season. Johnny
McPhilips has improved with every game he's played for us culminating in an excellent performance yesterday. It's a great pity he's leaving.
Ancient Mariner
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The thing is top known youngster won’t move to be 4th choice imo.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ancientmariner wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:58 am A lot of faith is being placed on the returning Freddie Burns. The fact is that when he left us for Bath he was never able to displace Rhys Priestland as their first choice. Playing in Japan is no preparation for the rigours of a Premiership season. Johnny
McPhilips has improved with every game he's played for us culminating in an excellent performance yesterday. It's a great pity he's leaving.
1. He didn’t leave us, we traded him
2. This time last year he was still playing prem rugby not like he has been gone long
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:12 am Who was Hughes?! Don’t remember him at all for some reason
Rory Hughes Scottish lad came on loan from Glasgow, thought he looked ok the only time I saw him.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Strikes me that parting with the likes of Bonilla, Henry, McPhillips, Lavanini, Kerr and Wallace must have freed up some cash for new signing(s) ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:01 pm The thing is top known youngster won’t move to be 4th choice imo.
True but the progress of Kelly in particular but also Steward and Martin; and to a certain extent van Poortvliet, Whitcombe and Chessum will show talented young fly halves that if they play better than Burns or Ford they will start.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:14 pm Strikes me that parting with the likes of Bonilla, Henry, McPhillips, Lavanini, Kerr and Wallace must have freed up some cash for new signing(s) ?
Hope you’re right, and in a ‘normal’ year I’d be hopeful. But in a year where the finances of all clubs will have been severely strained, it would not surprise me if there is a lot of belt-tightening going on and smaller squads for next year. With van Staden, Snyman, van Wyk and Burns already announced, will there be many more incoming?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wouldn’t this be the season for biggest belt tightening not next?