LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercub21

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by tigercub21 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:16 pm Well for me personally I generally don't count development squad numbers to senior players on the whole. (Not sure why Costelow isn't down as a development player when he was either) I also don't really count short term injury signings as they are always intended to be a fill in.

It's a crazy amount for sure though.

I feel the end of season leavers number so
Tomas Lavanini (Clermont)
Luan De Bruin (Edinburgh)
Zak Henry (Pau)
Johnny McPhillips (US Carcassonne)
Joaquin Tito Bonilla
Ben White
Ryan Bower

Gives me hope to a degree.
I do feel Borthwick is the first Tigers coach since Cockerill to have a large core in the squad.

At this stage looking at the current senior squad next season I do have question marks over in terms of looking into the 2022/23 season
Leatigaga (French clubs just love his style of prop)
Reffell (When will Wales call potentially)
Van Wyk (Make or break year)
Olowofela (As above)
Worth (As above)
Aspland-Robinson (As above)

Which funny enough is prob a third of the amount of question marks I usually have on players coming into a new season.
Turnover is inevitable, 3rd choice players will always be looking generally these days, unless you can sell them a clear pathway into the main group and the big non English stars will always be target from the rich teams

IMO the aim should be to try and keep it to around 10 at the highest.
I was also thinking into the next set of leavers we may get next year, down to the fact that presumably quite a few of our players are signed on two year deals. Kini and Nadolo are players i can see leaving next season and i have a feeling Moroni is also on a two year deal as that tends to be the length tigers normally offer out. Alongside the leavers previously mentioned by RB, unless some extensions are signed i can see a few key names on the move next year.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RagingBull »

Internationals tend to be more 3 years
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Think we can take it Nemani is another 1 year deal, it should be noted he is going home (Australia) for the 1st time in 5 years over the summer, (after the NZ tour now presumably).
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I think people can be a bit too quick to want to chuck out older players at times.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Goneva springs to mind. He easily had some more years left in him - as showed at Newcastle. Guy Thompson joined us at 31 and was instrumental that season in us not being relegated.

It’s great how many young players we’ve got with Eng seniors and U20s, but some experience doesn’t hurt either.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yep Goneva was player of the season at 34.
Murimurivalu for example IMO is the type of player we should be looking at keeping for a few more season at least.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

I would love to keep players like Kini, i’m just not entirely sure of the realities of it as the lure of French riches is always there.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Murimurivalu signed after over 10 years playing France. It's hardly like we plucked him from the NPC in NZ before anyone had heard of him! He'd have had plenty of offers in France.

I think Murimurivalu has been really strong. Covers 15/11/14/13, runs really great attacking lines off the scrum-half (something we've lacked a bit in the backs since Goneva left) and good availability throughout the season. His defence at times on the wing hasn't been perfect but the same is true of most wingers. Overall a cracking signing.

There can be a temptation sometimes to only seek or praise signings that seem to make a massive and immediate improvement to the full strength starting XV but lots of small improvements add up to something far more significant over the course of the season.

The depth Murimurivalu offers is a great example of those sorts of improvements. At full strength I'd probably have him on the bench but by the time you add up injuries and internationals we are below full strength often enough that he will start more often than not when available and do a very good job.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Muri is quality and if everyone is fit our starting right winger in my book. He’s a great threat off the ruck too and how many turnovers has he won at the breakdown. Also can cover 13/15, great player to have.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

You're right there. For me Murimurivalu isn't a fullback, a winger or a centre; he's simply a rugby player, and a very good one. The way he tackles, immediately jumps to his feet and jackals over the ball puts many number sevens to shame. Exactly the sort of player we need.
Ancient Mariner
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

On Rhodes I reckon he will head to SA.
Seems to be the in thing now for SA players nearing retirement age, go to SA play for a currie cup team or franchise and start/run the family business.

Especially with the franchises playing in Europe their experience will be helpful
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I believe Murimurivalu resents not starting more often.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Resents is a pretty strong word isn't it?

Also not sure how true that is considering he started more games this season than he had done the previous 2 seasons at La Rochelle.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Last edited by anz3001 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

anz3001 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:35 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:21 pm Resents is a pretty strong word isn't it?

Also not sure how true that is considering he started more games this season than he had done the previous 2 seasons at La Rochelle.
Is it? Dunno

The statement isn’t a fact, I’ve just noted that on the little media I have seen of him he’s mentioned it more than once.