LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:21 pm Gonna add on here some speculation about Mike Rhodes, just announced he's leaving Sarries. (There's a bit on the non Tigers transfer thread)

Could he be the Back Row Eggchasers were discussing.

He'd add significant depth to our back row.
If Martin moved to lock that would mean our back row could be

Liebenberg / Rhodes
Van Staden / Reffell
Wiese / Brink

What's more he can also play lock if it's felt that Martin isn't quite ready to play there.

He's north of 30 but that doesn't need to be a big thing as we have plenty of younger back rows.

Sarries could know we're annoucing tomorrow so have been given chance to say he's leaving before our announcement... (checks any fly halves being announced that they're leaving)
Would take Rhodes in a heartbeat - would be a great squad player to have. Can play 6 or 4 and knows what it takes to be a winner.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by teds »

I don’t follow rugby league much, but having heard Sinfield speak, I am pretty positive. As players, league converts generally struggle with the complexities of union, but as coaches especially defence they are often very successful. He seems to have his eyes wide open about some of the challenges that he will face and I think will fit in and enhance the culture at Tigers.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

teds wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:34 pm I don’t follow rugby league much, but having heard Sinfield speak, I am pretty positive. As players, league converts generally struggle with the complexities of union, but as coaches especially defence they are often very successful. He seems to have his eyes wide open about some of the challenges that he will face and I think will fit in and enhance the culture at Tigers.
As a fellow Oldhamer, a quota of Roughyeds enhances the hardness of the defence: "Move tha'sel lest ah move thee!"
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:06 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:21 pm Gonna add on here some speculation about Mike Rhodes, just announced he's leaving Sarries. (There's a bit on the non Tigers transfer thread)

Could he be the Back Row Eggchasers were discussing.

He'd add significant depth to our back row.
If Martin moved to lock that would mean our back row could be

Liebenberg / Rhodes
Van Staden / Reffell
Wiese / Brink

What's more he can also play lock if it's felt that Martin isn't quite ready to play there.

He's north of 30 but that doesn't need to be a big thing as we have plenty of younger back rows.

Sarries could know we're annoucing tomorrow so have been given chance to say he's leaving before our announcement... (checks any fly halves being announced that they're leaving)
Would take Rhodes in a heartbeat - would be a great squad player to have. Can play 6 or 4 and knows what it takes to be a winner.
At 33 and only staying at Sarries because the deal for Cobus Weise fell through last summer. Wouldn't bother, they don't consider him good enough for Prem rugby and I doubt he'd get near the team. Either bring in quality or leave it to the young lads that have done us proud this season.

Agree with those on Sinfield. Liked the interview with Bondi, he seems switched on and exactly the type of character we want behind the scenes. Ford has left him something to work with so it'll be interesting to see if he can take it on to the next level.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Just looked on Twitter

Rhodes follows the following people

Genge
Burns
Taute

All quite near the top of people (which I think means he's only recently started following them as they tend to be most recent on top)

Yet outside of Sarries there's only a few other players he follows
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Anyone know where will hooley is off to imagine he would be a good pick up for someone maybe not first choice but as a back up. Maybe a little older than we would want with Ford and Burns already at the club . Him and Rhodes would certainly offer something to someone
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:35 pm At 33 and only staying at Sarries because the deal for Cobus Weise fell through last summer. Wouldn't bother, they don't consider him good enough for Prem rugby and I doubt he'd get near the team. Either bring in quality or leave it to the young lads that have done us proud this season.
He's good enough to be starting in the playoff final so they rate him pretty highly. Don't think he would be a starter by any means but in terms of squad depth I reckon he adds it. They still needed to trim the salary cap down especially with loanees returning, don't think they judge him as not prem level just yet.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Not sure Rhodes would be seen as the big signing they was implying on the podcast but certainly a good player 1 or 2 year deal could work well. There’s bound to be 1 or 2 names Borthwick has signed who We will no nothing about like Snyman which is always more interesting because we don’t know what to expect . Nobody paid much attention to wiese when he signed and he’s now in the squad to face the lions
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Would appear that the backroom staff shape and purpose is solidifying.Can only be good news as we move forward....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Thanks and best wishes to Mike Ford...
Congratulations Matt Smith and Tom Harrison...
Welcome Kevin Sinfield....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rhodes, why block the progress of younger players, we have had a problem with that in the season just concluded.

As for our invisible General Manager, to not even have one of Bondi's Twitter pics is very odd & no mention whatsoever since his appointment. I sort of get the lack of an interview with him, but we get one with Sinfield in hours.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally don't think White would've been too happy being behind JVP as 3rd choice anyway.

On Rhodes a lot will depend on what Martin and Chessum long term future is.
6 or lock, Chessum has even played 8 this season.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:11 pm
teds wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:34 pm I don’t follow rugby league much, but having heard Sinfield speak, I am pretty positive. As players, league converts generally struggle with the complexities of union, but as coaches especially defence they are often very successful. He seems to have his eyes wide open about some of the challenges that he will face and I think will fit in and enhance the culture at Tigers.
As a fellow Oldhamer, a quota of Roughyeds enhances the hardness of the defence: "Move tha'sel lest ah move thee!"
Eh! You’ll know the song when a buxom lady in Manchester asks a taxi driver, « How much will you charge me old’em ? »!!!
Semper in excretia
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So sounds like it's confirmed that Seb Smith has a contract.
Not really a shock.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

I’ll be honest, after Sinfields interview i’m not that convinced…yet. What i gathered from the interview is that yes he is a great rugby league player, but his only proper coaching experience so far is with an u16s team and that he is a novice when it comes to defence. Everything else in the interview came across alright apart from his coaching credentials. Getting rid of an ex lions defence coach and replacing him with someone who has never coached D in union before, really struggles to fill me with much confidence.