LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by TigerMac3 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:48 pm I hope Worth proves me wrong but really not sold on him.
Will be interesting to see how the Aus guys do, super rugby can be very loose compared to here.

Unpopular opinion maybe but happy Kobus Van Wyk is remaining I feel that if we can get this backs coach sort he could do extremely well.

Lewis and White IMO will do well if they go to the right club.
Kit Smith unlucky with covid limiting his chances at club rugby this season.
Could see Sam Lewis doing well at Bristol
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Imagine Worth has been kept to cover 15 when Steward is away. All it would take is an injury to Muri during an international period and we’d be looking thin on the ground at the back.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Will just add to my previous comment, happy to see that Harry Simmons stays put! Think he has a lot of potential! Although no idea if he's a 9, 11, 14 or 15....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Lewis will surely get picked up by someone & you can hardly blame White for leaving, if WW is staying as a player it's a massive waste of Cap Money for a player who got worse as the season went on from a low base.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So incomings/promotions v Outgoings of
Marco Van Staden ---------> Jordan Taufua
Francois Van Wyk ----------> Facundo Gigena
Eli Snyman ---------------------> Blake Enever
Julian Montoya --------------> Mamukashvili (By way of TPN)
Dan Kelly ------------------------> Tom Hardwick
Nic Dolly ------------------------> Jake Kerr
George Martin ----------------> Luke Wallace (Harlequins)
Freddie Burns -----------------> Zak Henry
Jack Van Poorvliet ---------> Ben White
James Whitcombe ----------> Ryan Bower
Ollie Chessum -----------------> Jordan Coghlan
Cameron Henderson -------> Sam Lewis

Tomas Lavanini
Johnny McPhillips
Joaquin Tito Bonilla
Luan De Bruin
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:07 pm So incomings/promotions v Outgoings of
Marco Van Staden ---------> Jordan Taufua
Francois Van Wyk ----------> Facundo Gigena
Eli Snyman ---------------------> Blake Enever
Julian Montoya --------------> Mamukashvili (By way of TPN)
Dan Kelly ------------------------> Tom Hardwick
Nic Dolly ------------------------> Jake Kerr
George Martin ----------------> Luke Wallace (Harlequins)
Freddie Burns -----------------> Zak Henry
Jack Van Poorvliet ---------> Ben White
James Whitcombe ----------> Ryan Bower
Ollie Chessum -----------------> Jordan Coghlan
Cameron Henderson -------> Sam Lewis

Tomas Lavanini
Johnny McPhillips
Joaquin Tito Bonilla
Luan De Bruin
The majority of the leavers really haven’t played a large part in this seasons exploits, which has turned out a good thing as it means players like Martin and JVP will be able to strut their stuff more and more.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I would expect that, Steward, JVP, Martin, Kelly, Henderson Chessum, Whitcombe and probably Smith will be promoted from Development squad to allow Academy graduates to move up. I am certain we will need a Fly half possibly two depending on who, if any is deemed ready from the under 18's. A fit Sam A R and the return of Worth and Olowofela may answer our backs shortage although I would like to see someone of really exceptional pace added. Forwards seem pretty much o.k to me with Martin and Chessum spending more time in the second row. I am also interested to see how Manz has come on in the last eighteen months as I was impressed by him at age group level.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

So looking at the outgoings and rumours, I’d imagine three more players coming in. Established flanker/lock hybrid, established prop and young 10.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:18 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:16 pm will start a new thread soon give time for the leavers talk to settle
Hooker: Clare, Dolly, Montoya, Van Wyk, Youngs
Props: Cole, de Bruin, Genge, Heyes, Hurd, Leatigaga,
Locks: Green, Snyman, Wells,
Back Row: Brink, Liebenberg, Reffell, Van Staden, Wiese
Scrum Half: Wigglesworth, Youngs
Fly Half: Burns, Ford,
Centre: Moroni, Porter, Scott, Taute,
Winger: Aslpand-Robinson, Nadolo Olowofela, Potter, Simmons, Williams, Van Wyk
Full Back: Murimurivalu, Worth

As things stand.
Wonder what the situation is with Williams.
JvP?
I'm waiting to see who is classed as development still etc.
Down to contracts one presumes.

Not surprised by either White or Lewis. Disappointing maybe that they haven’t fulfilled their potential here, but unfortunately for them there are better players in the squads.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Odds on Mike Ford confirmed off today?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Where's that come from?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:28 pm Odds on Mike Ford confirmed off today?
50:50, if he's off I'd suspect it may have been announced today, but possibly not. They tend to do announcements every half hour or every hour. Could be delaying that one till a replacement signed though and the Telegraph seemed to think negotiations were still ongoing with Sinfield
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:31 pm Where's that come from?
The Mike Ford rumour? TRP a couple days ago and the Telegraph today.

Wasn't sure when it first broke but with the Telegraph writing about it today confirms it IMO smells like the club or the fords have talked to them off record just to try and ease the feeling that George is unsettled before an announcement.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Bondi on Twitter has put some semi-teasing responses regarding popcorn day, where normally he doesn't reply to questions about it. I'm starting to think popcorn day is tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/SammDoubleu/status/ ... 62693?s=19

https://twitter.com/SammDoubleu/status/ ... 86688?s=19

In which case I suspect all leavers (inc staff) to be announced today then tomorrow for promotions and signings.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

no surprise with any of the departures, most have barely played if at all, good luck to them, unless they play us then I have they are totally useless