LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RunTigerRun »

Take with a pinch of salt as always but The Rick reporting that according to The Rugby Paper, London Irish have signed Leicester Tigers scrum half Ben White for next season...

This would be a real shame if so imo.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by ads »

Wouldn't surprise me tbh, if Tigers are going to continue with Wigg as a player Whites not gonna get a look in. JVP is well ahead of him now.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

We have a lot of young 9s all competing for 1 or 2 spots, we were never going to keep them all.

With the way JVP has stepped up, I wouldn't be too disappointed if White left.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Agree with JVP having overtaken White in the likely pecking order. Hopefully we’ll keep and develop Jonny Law as he’s looked good in the 7s and in some highlights for Ampthill.

Would be a shame for White to leave, maybe wouldn’t be surprised if he was offered a better deal elsewhere - but still think I’d be disappointed to see him go.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Too many scrum halves, JVP , Youngs, Wrigglesworth. Let the lad get a game elsewhere.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:31 am Take with a pinch of salt as always but The Rick reporting that according to The Rugby Paper, London Irish have signed Leicester Tigers scrum half Ben White for next season...

This would be a real shame if so imo.
I’m not surprised really with Youngs, Wigg and JVP how much game time would he get? I think he is good Prem player but JVP has a higher ceiling.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I know which one of the 4 I would jettison.

If Law isn't ready for Premiership next season we have a recruitment requirement if White leaves.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think that's fair, unfortunately for him JVP has overtaken him, also with Youngs England career possibly coming towards the back end, opportunities to play may well be limited.

Essentially I can't think of many clubs that he wouldn't at least be 2nd choice. No other club where he may be 4th choice (rightly or wrongly) as he is here.

Wish him all the best he's been a good club player
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Erm....I’m reading it now and it says ‘Irish want to take Ben White from Tigers’. ‘..Irish have added White to their wanted list....’. How does that go to ‘have signed’?
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Even if you take Wigglesworth out of it Youngs still has a few more years in him and maybe not all as England No. 9 so will be hard for him to get much game time.

Can see why he might want a shot somewhere else and wish him well.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I would be really surprised to see White go, yes he is currently 4th choice but Wigglesworth has 1 season left in him at most and Youngs isn't getting any younger either, he seems like a well respected member of the squad having been captain on multiple occasions in the last couple seasons and was one of the few players that really showed some fight, clearly seems that he cares about the club so not sure he'd be prepared to jump ship just as things get going in the right direction.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

High chance of it being a rumour plucked from thin air due to the departure of Ben Meehan
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

tigercub21 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:11 am High chance of it being a rumour plucked from thin air due to the departure of Ben Meehan
Rumour or not would you blame him if he did go? Second choice to 4th choice in a matter of months. His worth will go down if he just stays waiting for game time. He hasn't been in the first team squad for the past 4 games. I understand he re-signed last year for this season and 2 more years. Long time to hold tackle bags.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

People will say it would be because of Wigglesworth reality is if he was to leave I suspect it would be more down to JVP.
Funny how views can change last season most was ready to say bye to him.

JVP England U20
Law England U19
Edwards England U18

We do seem to be well stocked with upcoming 9's one way or another.
But would be a shame to lose a young 9 with 70 appearances.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

For me it might depend whether Wigglesworth will still be here next season. Can anyone confirm?