LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by RagingBull »

I still reckon there will be a sizeable turnover of players.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by kpj tiger »

I think that squad churn is going to be the new norm for all teams moving forwards, the days of 1 club men are mostly gone now and the growing amount of competitive leagues around the world (MLR, Top League etc) mean that players have even more options of where to play going forwards
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:34 pm I think that squad churn is going to be the new norm for all teams moving forwards, the days of 1 club men are mostly gone now and the growing amount of competitive leagues around the world (MLR, Top League etc) mean that players have even more options of where to play going forwards
I think the big thing though is how much. There has always been player movement, even in the amateur era guys like Woodward, Cusworth, Back, Cockerill, moved around a bit and you did get guys who moved around a lot too.

Anyway, point being 6/7 new players in the squad with 2 or 3 as aiming for the main starting 23 and the rest as development potential buys is no issue at all. Combined with some academy promotions that's probably 8 or 9 leavers a season + usual young lads moving on without really playing (e.g. Dimen leaving development squad). That's not far off what the more settled sides manage.

We've been averaging double and last yer treble that. Having no leavers is unrealistic for many reasons but getting to single figures is definitely achievable.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:59 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:34 pm I think that squad churn is going to be the new norm for all teams moving forwards, the days of 1 club men are mostly gone now and the growing amount of competitive leagues around the world (MLR, Top League etc) mean that players have even more options of where to play going forwards
I think the big thing though is how much. There has always been player movement, even in the amateur era guys like Woodward, Cusworth, Back, Cockerill, moved around a bit and you did get guys who moved around a lot too.

Anyway, point being 6/7 new players in the squad with 2 or 3 as aiming for the main starting 23 and the rest as development potential buys is no issue at all. Combined with some academy promotions that's probably 8 or 9 leavers a season + usual young lads moving on without really playing (e.g. Dimen leaving development squad). That's not far off what the more settled sides manage.

We've been averaging double and last yer treble that. Having no leavers is unrealistic for many reasons but getting to single figures is definitely achievable.
If you keep it under 10 leavers and recruits nowadays your probably going to be doing well IMO
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:27 pm I still reckon there will be a sizeable turnover of players.
At Tigers?

Based on what?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ourla wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:03 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:27 pm I still reckon there will be a sizeable turnover of players.
At Tigers?

Based on what?
Well we currently already have 6 leavers from the start of season
I expect a further 2 based on signings we have already made coming in and looking at the squad could easily see a further 4 leavers.

Which would make it 12 + leavers from the squad at the start of season (Not Counting loans)
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Let us be realistic, we have an Academy now thankfully producing genuine young prospects, at age eighteen some may choose to go to University rather than pursue a rugby career, and some will be judged not likely to reach standard required but hopefully half a dozen or so may be thought worth keeping in our Development squad. To make room for them others have to go. Space might be created by promoting from Development to main squad but again existing players will need to leave to make room.
It might be decided that for the immediate situation there is a need for a player of a certain standard in a certain position and no young player ready to move up so a signing from outside is required and again another player has to go. We fans will be quick to tell the management where we are lacking or advise that we should sign this or that player. We will always want our team to improve, we may be able to do that as young players mature and get better, there will always be the need for comings and goings but hopefully once we have a reasonably settled squad that will at a minimum not twenty or so each season.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:11 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:03 pm
At Tigers?

Based on what?
I expect a further 2 based on signings we have already made coming in and looking at the squad could easily see a further 4 leavers.

Which would make it 12 + leavers from the squad at the start of season (Not Counting loans)
I was looking forward rather than backwards based on this statement "There seem to be a few rumours doing the rounds about players at other clubs moving. I wonder if, bar any last minute purchases, if our signings for next season are largely done?"
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=ourla post_id=777208 time=1618847115 user_id=10130]
[quote=RagingBull post_id=777205 time=1618845109 user_id=10459]
[quote=ourla post_id=777203 time=1618844627 user_id=10130]
[quote=RagingBull post_id=777196 time=1618835249 user_id=10459]
I still reckon there will be a sizeable turnover of players.
[/quote]
At Tigers?

Based on what?
[/quote]

[/quote]
I was looking forward rather than backwards based on this statement "There seem to be a few rumours doing the rounds about players at other clubs moving. I wonder if, bar any last minute purchases, if our signings for next season are largely done?"
[/quote]

Yes, that was my view too. Other than what we know, looking forward. Beyond this, there will always be some player movement, but with, hopefully a settled coaching set up and a clear perspective on playing style, the nucleus of the team will stay together and we will not see the wholesale player churn that we have in recent years.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The Rugby Paper (18/4/21) produced a centre spread story by Paul Rees who undertook an interview with George Kruis.Nothing earth shattering , a defence of Eddie Jones , his methods and pedigree ; his affection and appreciation for the 'good' that Sarries have brought to the community - whilst admitting that they did infringe the laws of the game ; life in Japan and his own Lions aspirations and chances - which he admits are now largely based on hope rather than expectation...
Taking into account the recent speculation linking him with Leicester is the fact that he signed a two year contract with Japanese Club White Knights and that, according to the article, when this ends his choices (as of now) stand between continuing his playing career (no mention of where , though at this stage he will be 32) or devoting himself full time to a wellness company ('Fourfive') set up with former Saracen Dominic Day.
As we all know however things can and do change.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Am I right in saying most of the comings and goings are normally announced by the end of April right?

If so are we expecting a list of leavers to come, then a popcorn day with some more extensions and then one or two new signings?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:19 am Am I right in saying most of the comings and goings are normally announced by the end of April right?

If so are we expecting a list of leavers to come, then a popcorn day with some more extensions and then one or two new signings?
I remember a lot were announced in April last year but unsure if that was because the season was curtailed and we were unlikely to see any further games before the new contracts began.

I can’t remember what it was like the year before but can imagine it’s not too long before we find out more of the player news.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Most signings recently have been announced late April onwards.
May and June have tended to have the most.

The formal leavers announcement is usually end of season, unless their clubs they are going to have already announced it.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jake Kerr released
Writing on the wall with the Dolly signing.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:03 am Jake Kerr released
Writing on the wall with the Dolly signing.
Dolly was always his replacement, who came early to cover Montoya's injury.

Wonder if the timing of this early release a day after Borthwick has stated that Montoya is back running means he's closer to fitness than initially thought?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.