LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:24 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:07 pm I don't know who our marquee players are any more, have we been told?
Would assume Ford, Taufua was rumoured to be one but hasn't the 2nd marquee slot been removed now?
Goes in the summer I think. I presume it's Ford and Lavanini currently.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE VI: The Return of the Burns

Post by tigerburnie »

Ford came to us from another Premiership side so cannot be a Marquee player is my understanding of the rules, not sure about Lavinini, wasn't TPN a big tent signing?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:10 pm Ford came to us from another Premiership side so cannot be a Marquee player is my understanding of the rules, not sure about Lavinini, wasn't TPN a big tent signing?
I believe that expires after a number of years. Think three. The idea of it was that you couldn't use a big contract offer to tempt someone away from another club. After you've had them and developed them for a few years you can make them the marquee to retain them.

Happy to be corrected if wrong.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Under the original marquee player rules you were allowed one from within your own ranks or even from another Premiership club but the other at the time of signing had to be a player who had not played in the Premiership in the previous season. It was a system that destroyed the whole object of the salary cap which was to achieve a level playing field not unduly influenced by the wealth of the owners. We are now reducing to just one marquee player, the idea being that it will be a star player who fans will want to see or it will enable clubs to retain star (even English) players that might otherwise move abroad (France) for larger salaries than available in the Premiership.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Former Tiger Joe Thomas signs for Houston Sabercats.

Joins former academy U18 winner Zack Godfrey.

In case anyone is looking for Tigers connections to MLR teams
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 pm Former Tiger Joe Thomas signs for Houston Sabercats.

Joins former academy U18 winner Zack Godfrey.

In case anyone is looking for Tigers connections to MLR teams
Its interesting to see some young talent heading that way as well as the older players, wonder if some of it is the Eagles looking to pick people up on residency
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well Godfrey I believe was already qualified for America
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Freddie's team lost by just 1 point.
So his season is over.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:53 pm Freddie's team lost by just 1 point.
So his season is over.
Is he definitely not arriving before the summer? :smt017
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not sure why he would be.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:34 pm Not sure why he would be.
Just wondering if he may just hook up here early if not to play but from a fitness point of view?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

There seem to be a few rumours doing the rounds about players at other clubs moving. I wonder if, bar any last minute purchases, if our signings for next season are largely done?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:04 am There seem to be a few rumours doing the rounds about players at other clubs moving. I wonder if, bar any last minute purchases, if our signings for next season are largely done?
I think to some extent this is due to us dealing with salary cuts last year, we may have a few leaving still, don't see many coming in except a prop or two.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:04 am There seem to be a few rumours doing the rounds about players at other clubs moving. I wonder if, bar any last minute purchases, if our signings for next season are largely done?
I hope so. I've not been able to keep up with merry go round in recent seasons. And you can't or aren't being successful when you are churning so much.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=ourla post_id=777189 time=1618825844 user_id=10130]
[quote=longlivethecrumbie post_id=777175 time=1618812263 user_id=9597]
There seem to be a few rumours doing the rounds about players at other clubs moving. I wonder if, bar any last minute purchases, if our signings for next season are largely done?
[/quote]
I hope so. I've not been able to keep up with merry go round in recent seasons. And you can't or aren't being successful when you are churning so much.
[/quote]

I hope so too, and I do agree with your point about 'churn'. As Murphy said in the recent podcast, Tigers had a period in recent years with an almost constant change of Head Coach/DOR, who all wanted to bring in different players. That period saw so much chopping and changing of players. That, and poor recruitment generally, resulted in an unbalanced squad with several players who didn't want to be at the Club ( he didn't name names). Those players have now been moved on, and now with a bit of stability and continuity, hopefully the squad will continue to evolve under SB, with maybe just a gradual 're-shaping' where needed.