Rebuilding England By The Pound

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Rebuilding England By The Pound

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:46 pm All the pundits rave about Lawrence and Odogwu but I’m surprised Marchant doesn’t get mentioned more. For me he’s better than both, pacey attacker in the Joseph mould but also reads the game very well and can lead the defence. Can also cover wing and is great under the high ball.

Devoto has always looked good too at 12, plays club rugby with Slade. It’s not like we haven’t got any talented centres, Jones just doesn’t pick them.
I'm similar in thinking.
Trying to be a step ahead of how the game might change due to red cards for high contact I'd try Marchant at 12 and Jospeh at 13.
Odogwu is also worth involving in how contact techniques might evolve.
I think quick feet, pace and a low centre of gravity can be beneficial.
Devoto is a bit of a forgotten man and quite possibly has more to offer than just being direct, he's not just big.
As you say it's not like we haven't got any talented centres.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

As a previous poster mentioned, what approach to take re Manu? Undoubtedly a shoe-in when fit and well, but has his ship sailed? One last hurrah? That being the case, would he be in consideration if the thought is he is unlikely to contribute to an England team much due to the next injury or clearing off to Japan or similar to make his fortune.

Unless he demonstrates a resurgence which he can sustain over at least a couple of years, I’m inclined to exclude him.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

https://tinyl.io/3mc8

While we will celebrate, dropping Ford for Smith or Simmonds (or indeed for Simmonds Bro, outplayed by Hanro) when many observers rate Ford as the best 10 in Europe, and retaining Farrell, would be evidence of Jones losing the plot IMO. There are clearly some past their sell-by date (e.g. Mako, Billy, Daly) , and some who aren't going to make it (e.g. Furbank). There are some nailed on (Curry, Itoje) but the rest are up for a churn IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Looks like we will have Ford with us very soon then,good! Smith and Simmonds can look forward to getting splinters while coming on for the last 10 minutes when Farrell moves to 12!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Let’s get it straight, these are all good players who have performed in the past and some have had a decent 6 Nations, in some area. Eddie Jones is a top coach, so if there’s someone better than him to slot in now, I’d like to see them. It’s been well documented, the Sarries players haven’t performed, although Itoje was consistently 7/10 (yeah yeah penalties) and Farrell was excellent vs France (watch again). Covid....no crowds...same for everyone. I don’t think many will be moved out of this squad as in my view, it’s a few tweaks, some confidence and a mind set change and we’ll be back. I would like to see the likes of Smith, Dombrandt, Simmonds, Barbeary etc have a crack, as long as people realised that they’d make mistakes as international rugby is tougher, faster with a very small margin for error. It would take a brave man to slot Smith in and stick with him until the World Cup and say “you’re the man”. Can you imagine the grief Eddie would get if it didn’t work out. Perks of being head coach I guess !

Eddie is very structured and doesn’t like “loose”, which puts Dombrandt in a tricky position. He has all the skills but they don’t always come off. In a tight international battle one error and the game’s gone. How do you balance a back row with Simmonds in it ? Easy from the sofa but more difficult trying to fit a game plan around these talented players waiting in the wings I suspect. Wholesale changes could spell disaster, as long as fans and media were willing to except that - I doubt it.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Some good points there and a bigger picture issue in that England have few games to actually integrate new players. The focus of the season is the 6 Nations (where were are expected to be aiming to win) and the Autumn Internationals (where we are expected to show where we stand against the Southern Hemisphere sides). None of these periods are really the time for blooding new internationals or trying new ways of playing. You sometimes have a summer tour but that is often a full B side and not a mix of new and experienced that is needed to see if players or playing styles fit.

With no room for more fixtures in the calendar, it is hardly surprising that the tendency is to go with the safe or known as opposed to taking any form of risk either with playing personnel or playing style.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:12 pm https://tinyl.io/3mc8

While we will celebrate, dropping Ford for Smith or Simmonds (or indeed for Simmonds Bro, outplayed by Hanro) when many observers rate Ford as the best 10 in Europe, and retaining Farrell, would be evidence of Jones losing the plot IMO. There are clearly some past their sell-by date (e.g. Mako, Billy, Daly) , and some who aren't going to make it (e.g. Furbank). There are some nailed on (Curry, Itoje) but the rest are up for a churn IMO.
Andy Goode said in the Rugby Pod that they should drop Ford for Smith... absolutely ridiculous and just pettiness from Goodey over Ford Sr. Smith 100% should be in that England squad, but it shouldn't be at Ford's expense. It should be Farrell who gets his marching orders :smt013.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

England had a disastrous 6N anyway, they're clearly at a crossroad but it doesn't have to be set, they can turn back and choose another direction.
Just try.
I believe the talent is there to play at more pace with depth and width but this is a personal preference.
This backrow balance is mostly defined by how you demand that the team plays and I'm a bit surprised that both Tom and Ben Curry haven't been tried more together.
It's like having two potential Pocock's.
I just find the rigidity in selection quite bizarre at times.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I'm struggling with the calls for Farrell to be dropped. I can see a case for him passing the arm band over to Itoje perhaps, but why would you drop that level of experience, leadership, grit, determination and skill level ? To bring in a youngster who has done pretty well for a season or two at club level ? Really ? Most of the clips and commentary from former players, current players and most importantly, anyone who has been in and around the Eddie-led squads since he started have high praise about how Farrell leads the standards in the camp, his leadership qualities etc, so maybe that's the problem, it needs a different voice ? After the Scotland and Italy games, where he wasn't at his best, I watched closely how he went against the French, and quite frankly I was shocked at how many key contributions & interventions that he made, in defence and attack. So, removing him from the squad, based on what I've seen and heard, wouldn't be a good move.

I'm pretty certain some people think that if we (for example) drop Vunipola for Simmonds, Smith for Ford/Farrell or Dombrandt for Vunipola etc that England move from an indiscipline/kicking game/errors to an all-out attack/running game/pleasing on the eye-type game. The reality is that Eddie and the coaches, along with (I suspect) a senior player group, set out the game plan. From what I've seen the game plan is to use physicality to dominate teams and play a quick, flowing game, using forwards and backs, off-loading out of the tackle, stressing defences and finding space in the wide channels to get the points on the board (eg: NZ semi-final - most things worked). Clearly that doesn't always work (eg: Scotland 6 Nations), so when you're in that position and can't get over the gain line, the kicking game is an option that can also work, kick to compete and use May etc to challenge and get field position.

I'm not a believer that you can have a Plan B and then flip to it during a game. If your over-arching plan doesn't work then you try other ways of implementing it - which is where England are struggling I think, trying too hard to get back on track - which leads to penalties/errors etc. This goes back to leadership, where somehow the message didn't get across, if indeed it was communicated by Farrell to the players on the pitch, to watch the penalty count.

Assuming Eddie is staying on, you either a) stick to what has worked (sometimes) and bring a few other players in to shake the squad up, including a different coaching perspective and hope they can bring that game back to the table ...or b) make some significant changes, Simmonds, Smith, Dombrandt and others and change your style of play to suit it - tricky and a bold move at this stage, and amazing if it comes off.

Either way, I still think Eddie is one of the best and most innovative coaches in the game (forget about the sound bites and the winding up comments), who leaves no stone unturned. I'm backing him to get us back on track. If he doesn't it wouldn't have been for lack of trying. Comments I've seen calling for Rob Baxter to come in and save the day, in my view are completely barking mad.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Farrell wont be dropped! It will be Ford if anyone as Eddie has shown before.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

We have already heard some high profile (current) England players come to the defence of Eddie Jones - understandable in many ways .The Guardian (Online , Gerard Meagher) however states that as part of the RFU review of Englands 6 Nations campaign unattributed/anonymous feedback from the full England playing squad will be invited also.
Could well be very interesting.All told overall outcome expected to come next week (commencing 28 March).
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:55 am I'm struggling with the calls for Farrell to be dropped. I can see a case for him passing the arm band over to Itoje perhaps, but why would you drop that level of experience, leadership, grit, determination and skill level ? To bring in a youngster who has done pretty well for a season or two at club level ? Really ? Most of the clips and commentary from former players, current players and most importantly, anyone who has been in and around the Eddie-led squads since he started have high praise about how Farrell leads the standards in the camp, his leadership qualities etc, so maybe that's the problem, it needs a different voice ? After the Scotland and Italy games, where he wasn't at his best, I watched closely how he went against the French, and quite frankly I was shocked at how many key contributions & interventions that he made, in defence and attack. So, removing him from the squad, based on what I've seen and heard, wouldn't be a good move.

I'm pretty certain some people think that if we (for example) drop Vunipola for Simmonds, Smith for Ford/Farrell or Dombrandt for Vunipola etc that England move from an indiscipline/kicking game/errors to an all-out attack/running game/pleasing on the eye-type game. The reality is that Eddie and the coaches, along with (I suspect) a senior player group, set out the game plan. From what I've seen the game plan is to use physicality to dominate teams and play a quick, flowing game, using forwards and backs, off-loading out of the tackle, stressing defences and finding space in the wide channels to get the points on the board (eg: NZ semi-final - most things worked). Clearly that doesn't always work (eg: Scotland 6 Nations), so when you're in that position and can't get over the gain line, the kicking game is an option that can also work, kick to compete and use May etc to challenge and get field position.

I'm not a believer that you can have a Plan B and then flip to it during a game. If your over-arching plan doesn't work then you try other ways of implementing it - which is where England are struggling I think, trying too hard to get back on track - which leads to penalties/errors etc. This goes back to leadership, where somehow the message didn't get across, if indeed it was communicated by Farrell to the players on the pitch, to watch the penalty count.

Assuming Eddie is staying on, you either a) stick to what has worked (sometimes) and bring a few other players in to shake the squad up, including a different coaching perspective and hope they can bring that game back to the table ...or b) make some significant changes, Simmonds, Smith, Dombrandt and others and change your style of play to suit it - tricky and a bold move at this stage, and amazing if it comes off.

Either way, I still think Eddie is one of the best and most innovative coaches in the game (forget about the sound bites and the winding up comments), who leaves no stone unturned. I'm backing him to get us back on track. If he doesn't it wouldn't have been for lack of trying. Comments I've seen calling for Rob Baxter to come in and save the day, in my view are completely barking mad.
I agree with all of this. The challenges of this season covid, undercooked Saracens have already been listed so I won't repeat. However in 2018 EJ dropped eight players from the squad and six playing regulars in Brown, Robshaw, Haskell, Care, Hartley (forced) and Te'o. So he has proven himself perfectly willing to do that. The question is who? There is nothing to be gained in dropping both of George & LCD. Drop George and you just are left with LCD and a.n.Other Sinkler, Itoje, Curry, Underhill (on his return). So five of the forwards would definitely stay. then to the backs Youngs, Ford, Farrell, Daly below - 11. May 14. Watson.

1. Mako is now targeted as a weakness at scrum time. In the absence of Marler (who for me would be first choice) EJ has few options. I know it is sacrilegious to say it, but I doubt Ellis is going to become a starting international LH for England.

2. 2nd Row - We should not be surprised to lose Kruis and find it hard to replace him. In the absence of Launchberry due to injury who was EJ to pick. Launchberry was playing out of his skin pre-injury. Would Ewells or Hill get into the Ireland, Welsh or even Scottish teams. Only possibly.

4. Billy V. For me he has never been the same since his injuries and if he says he's been an imposter of himself, why should the rest of us disagree. Given the choice of Alldritt, Faletou, Stander, Fagerson or Vunipola in my England team based on this 6N performance, he wouldn't make the first four. .

5. Wilson is a stop gap. For a reshuffled back row. Willis was getting a look in. No doubt Barbeary will get a look in with a bit of luck.

6.Youngs - fine - we will need a change eventually. But is he really the problem?

7. Marcus Smith looks like a real talent - but at club level. Not his fault, but George Ford looks like a real talent at international level. I just can't see what is achieved by dropping one (when he is 27) and selecting the other. If one was a Dan Biggar type 10 and the other a Smith / Ford- fine. But they aren't. In many ways Smith and Ford are identikits.

8. Farrell. I have never warmed to the man, but too many more knowledgeable people than me say he is the best thing since sliced bread. Not an on field captain, would mean he was no longer a certainty. But to drop him. Madness.

9. Tualagi - at international level is irreplaceable, and just as his absence at Tigers stunted the development of the team because he is so influential - so it has done for England this 6N.

10. Daly - anyone but Daly. Apart from Furbank (what was that about?)

11. And then to the coaches. Proudfoot, Amor, Mitchell?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Good analysis Traveller
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I can't stand Farrell but there's no doubting his consistency as a goal kicker and can deliver a great pass of his left land close to the line (we shouldn't keep harking back to the team of 2019, but it's hard to argue against Squidge Rugby that his pass to Daly versus Ireland was the pass of the year). However he is not a captain, he is a yes-man. Nonetheless, one thing Wales has done well this tournament is rotate their halfbacks to switch up the game when necessary. England could do well to drop Farrell as captain but it might work out rotating him against Smith or Ford starting at 10 or coming off the bench, however under EJ that is unlikely as he seems dead set against selecting Ford on his own.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Barbeary starts at 8 for Wasps this weekend. Surely he’ll be Billy’s replacement.