Rebuilding England By The Pound

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Rebuilding England By The Pound

Post by Tiglon »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:36 pm Barbeary starts at 8 for Wasps this weekend. Surely he’ll be Billy’s replacement.
He would get my vote. Looks like he could be a sensational player and I would be surprised if he isn't in the next England squad.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:08 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:36 pm Barbeary starts at 8 for Wasps this weekend. Surely he’ll be Billy’s replacement.
He would get my vote. Looks like he could be a sensational player and I would be surprised if he isn't in the next England squad.
I thought he was a Hooker playing in the back row.
We might never find out if Simmonds could be...personally I doubt it, but he really should be in the 23, like Daly he might be best used off the bench.
Last edited by Wayne Richardson Fan Club on Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Furbank has been superb for Saints this season. I think he could get back in.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:12 pm
We might never find out if Simmonds could be...personally I doubt it, but he really should be in the 23, like Daly he might be best used off the bench.
Tom Youngs was once a centre 😂
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Dokie wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:46 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:12 pm

Tom Youngs was once a centre 😂
He certainly was, personally I think his last game should be at 12, nice career bookends, Meyer suggesting he became a hooker was his only positive influence on Tigers.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Neil Fissler in 'The Rugby Paper' (28/3/21) states that the position of Eddie Jones as England coach is under genuine scrutiny and threat.Two names the RFU have come up with as possible replacements are Warren Gatland and Rassie Erasmus.The latter , again according to the 'Blindside' column is also wanted by Harlequins as their next DoR.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

To me that just screams pure speculation.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With EJ there watching yesterday (assuming he keeps the job) I wonder if he'll be tempted to cap Kelly this summer to avoid Irish intrests?

I see Kelly on Twitter posted a pic of him in an England shirt by George Ford as a youngster so although he's played for Ireland U20's it suggests he may be willing to consider England too...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:20 am With EJ there watching yesterday (assuming he keeps the job) I wonder if he'll be tempted to cap Kelly this summer to avoid Irish intrests?

I see Kelly on Twitter posted a pic of him in an England shirt by George Ford as a youngster so although he's played for Ireland U20's it suggests he may be willing to consider England too...
I was thinking the exact same thing. 12 is a problem position for England and we’ve seen Williams and Redpath go to other nations. Really wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the summer tour.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Oh how the wind changes. It wasn’t that long ago everyone had EJ on a pedestal for taking England to a World Cup Final. Now everyone wants his head.

Many teams have dips. Ireland went from unbeatable pre World Cup to a bad run of form, Wales have gone from zero to hero this 6N (Everyone was calling for Pivacs head - now what?) South Africa went from bad to World Cup winners and bad again. Even the ABs have had some “soul searching”.

The difference to me is not about selection. It’s about parts of the British Media who just stoke division and hatred and then move on without care or regard for the person they’ve just destroyed. Rugby should be better than this.

Yes I’d like to see him bring through the talented youngsters that abound the Prem but I’m not an International Coach, for which good ones are as rare as hens teeth. I’d rather judge EJ on the next World Cup. Then watch SB take over....
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:04 am Oh how the wind changes. It wasn’t that long ago everyone had EJ on a pedestal for taking England to a World Cup Final. Now everyone wants his head.

Many teams have dips. Ireland went from unbeatable pre World Cup to a bad run of form, Wales have gone from zero to hero this 6N (Everyone was calling for Pivacs head - now what?) South Africa went from bad to World Cup winners and bad again. Even the ABs have had some “soul searching”.

The difference to me is not about selection. It’s about parts of the British Media who just stoke division and hatred and then move on without care or regard for the person they’ve just destroyed. Rugby should be better than this.

Yes I’d like to see him bring through the talented youngsters that abound the Prem but I’m not an International Coach, for which good ones are as rare as hens teeth. I’d rather judge EJ on the next World Cup. Then watch SB take over....
Agree 100% and also the same point remains on the likes of Billy V, Daly, Farrell, George etc who haven’t torn up trees for 6 months or so but are still as good as, if not better, than others in their positions over a 1-2 year period.

The only thing I disagree with is Borthwick leaving us in 2023 - that’s not long enough for him to sort out Tigers and get us back up to the top tier of Europe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Gatland? Oh please no!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I don't mind Gatland as a coach, but if the RFU want to choose someone who selects on form he's not your man.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:20 am With EJ there watching yesterday (assuming he keeps the job) I wonder if he'll be tempted to cap Kelly this summer to avoid Irish intrests?

Eddie Jones was watching yesterday. Kelly certainly put his hand up, I'd imagine Jones would also have his eyes on JVP, Heyes and Steward as well for the tour of North America this summer (if it goes ahead).
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Eddie Jones was watching yesterday. Kelly certainly put his hand up, I'd imagine Jones would also have his eyes on JVP, Heyes and Steward as well for the tour of North America this summer (if it goes ahead).
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ssion=true

Intrestingly there's talk of reviving the Saxons too this summer, reckon that may be to tie down a few guys
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.