Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Rebuilding England By The Pound

Post by Traveller »

LE18 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:27 pm
Traveller wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:04 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:57 pm

Very sorry Traveller I'm obviously very wrong with my assessment, and no one else thinks anything like me. :smt022
No need to apologise. It's a forum isn't it? We express opinions, arguments for and against. That's the whole point. I often start with my contributions we two words - I agree - I don't agree with you. But I'd still let you buy me a beer. :smt052
I forgot to mention Jones stale tactics, but I guess I'm wrong again :smt017
Forum. Opinions - agree / disagree. No need for apologies. Not sure what other peoples opinions have to do with your own.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:40 am Neil Fissler in 'The Rugby Paper' (28/3/21) states that the position of Eddie Jones as England coach is under genuine scrutiny and threat.Two names the RFU have come up with as possible replacements are Warren Gatland and Rassie Erasmus.The latter , again according to the 'Blindside' column is also wanted by Harlequins as their next DoR.
Personally Garland and Erasmus are old hat in my opinion and not much of an upgrade on Jones!
For me the RFU should be looking for someone who is fresh and is and has been delivering some excellent and entertaining rugby for the last few years, ladies and Gentlemen I give you none other than Scott Robertson.
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

chappie wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:00 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:40 am Neil Fissler in 'The Rugby Paper' (28/3/21) states that the position of Eddie Jones as England coach is under genuine scrutiny and threat.Two names the RFU have come up with as possible replacements are Warren Gatland and Rassie Erasmus.The latter , again according to the 'Blindside' column is also wanted by Harlequins as their next DoR.
Personally Garland and Erasmus are old hat in my opinion and not much of an upgrade on Jones!
For me the RFU should be looking for someone who is fresh and is and has been delivering some excellent and entertaining rugby for the last few years, ladies and Gentlemen I give you none other than Scott Robertson.
100% be happy with Robertson.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Surely the fact that in Robertson's 26 years of rugby he has only spent 4 years total away from Canterbury/Crusaders is a concern?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:22 pm Surely the fact that in Robertson's 26 years of rugby he has only spent 4 years total away from Canterbury/Crusaders is a concern?
& that point is why I would of liked Tigers to try to tempt him here, pretty sure NZ would prefer him to get some more overseas experience.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:22 pm Surely the fact that in Robertson's 26 years of rugby he has only spent 4 years total away from Canterbury/Crusaders is a concern?
Is it in any way a concern: yes

However there are positive aspects to that too, it shows loyalty and longevity. You don't stay in a place long term unless you can perform consistently and you aren't also dedicated to the cause.

Which side of the fence would I fall on, I'd take him as a coach.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It's England International rugby Loyalty shouldn't play any part in it IMO.
And on the "longevity" part he's only been Crusaders head coach 4 years.

Don't get me wrong great coach.
But a job like England is just not something I would want a younger coach to dive into, the media pressure alone will be something he never experienced. He's done a great job with the crusaders don't get me wrong, BUT it's a pretty easy job even a coach like Blackadder was given 5 years with them with little pressure (In fact he left rather than given the boot), compare that to the literal pressure cooker that is the RFU.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

To me it doesn't really matter how well Care and Brown have been playing for Harlequins, their respective ages means that they are going to offer little to England in the long-term. With Brown especially, he's not the only EQP fullback playing really well at the moment, look at Steward and Tom Parton at Irish while Lt. Furbank has rediscovered some form for the Saints for example.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni