Injury/Suspensions List

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Injury/Suspensions List

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rugby is a contact sport and over the years the authorities have done a lot to clean up the game to prevent injuries. Contact with the head has its consequences and is rightly addressed with protocols including sanctions and HIAs etc.
There have been some incidents in recent weeks (Banahan, Van Wyk, Thorley) where the contact has been head on head and all the players have been red carded and subsequently banned...
In my opinion, these were all rugby accidents and did not warrant a Red card.
There was no intent, no forearm or shoulder aiming for the players head. The tackle was made below shoulder height and heads subsequently clashed, tackling player not leading with his head to make contact. Soon we are going to have an instruction that all tackles must be 6" above the waste........may seem ridiculous but there are going to be accidents and this needs to be recognised. The refs are very much in a tunnel where they cannot deviate from the outcome of a red card being awarded.
Am all for players safety, but there are going to be accidental collisions............it is a contact sport.
Red cards should used for foul play where the contact has been made with a forearm, shoulder etc........
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:31 pm Going on the severity of the injuries to the player is ridiculous too! So Banahans accident caused more damage than Hepetemas shoulder to the head so he gets a longer ban?! Laughable!
Banahan injured himself!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ads wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:35 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:31 pm Going on the severity of the injuries to the player is ridiculous too! So Banahans accident caused more damage than Hepetemas shoulder to the head so he gets a longer ban?! Laughable!
Banahan injured himself!
I was talking about the other player. Someone just posted that because he was injured more than Hepetemas victim Van Wyk it meant that his ban was longer. Unless I misread.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:55 pm
Banahan injured himself!
I was talking about the other player. Someone just posted that because he was injured more than Hepetemas victim Van Wyk it meant that his ban was longer. Unless I misread.
https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status ... 79811?s=19

It was me who posted about the injury, I was just quoting off the tweet from the RFU where it has a tick in the player injured column, what would be the real kick in the teeth is if it does mean himself, that means potentially not only is his ban longer because he injured himself (daft I know) but remember the ban doesn't start until he is deemed fit to play again, that means his injury counts double against him...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Banahan injured himself!

It was me who posted about the injury, I was just quoting off the tweet from the RFU where it has a tick in the player injured column, what would be the real kick in the teeth is if it does mean himself, that means potentially not only is his ban longer because he injured himself (daft I know) but remember the ban doesn't start until he is deemed fit to play again, that means his injury counts double against him...
Thanks TS. In a bit of a tantrum about this whole situation as you’ve probably guessed 😂
Needs ripping up and starting again for me,common sense needed!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:07 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Thanks TS. In a bit of a tantrum about this whole situation as you’ve probably guessed 😂
Needs ripping up and starting again for me,common sense needed!
Well I will seriously lose it if the Carreras gouging incident isn't harshly punished, that was a REAL shocker, but after seeing the French guy only got 2 weeks I'm a little nervous that he may get away without the big ban that deserves...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We have to remember what the authorities are trying to achieve here. They aren't trying to get rid of intentional head contact, they're trying to get rid of all avoidable head contact.

The message to Van Wyk is that you need to tackle lower. If you go in completely upright you risk head contact. In fact it's pretty likely you're going to make head contact if you run in upright at another upright person.

Just. Tackle. Lower.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Just checked the video to the game and it seems the quins player that Banahan tackled got straght up and didn't look injured to me!!

2:01.07 into the video below:

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/ ... y-round-14
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Has Carreras been cited?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:49 pm Has Carreras been cited?
https://www.ruck.co.uk/premiership-star ... -the-eyes/

An RFU statement reads: "Mateo Carreras of Newcastle Falcons will appear before an online independent disciplinary panel on Wednesday evening (24 March 2021)”
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:22 pm We have to remember what the authorities are trying to achieve here. They aren't trying to get rid of intentional head contact, they're trying to get rid of all avoidable head contact.

The message to Van Wyk is that you need to tackle lower. If you go in completely upright you risk head contact. In fact it's pretty likely you're going to make head contact if you run in upright at another upright person.

Just. Tackle. Lower.
Great...but at the moment, if you tackle at a level where head on head contact is likely but it doesn't happen there is no penalty. Have a clash of heads and it's a red card.

Doesn't seem quite right. IMHO
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Willemse got 2 weeks?! What?????!!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:08 pm Willemse got 2 weeks?! What?????!!!
Stated it was only "contact with the eye area" not either "intentional contact with the eye" or "reckless contact with the eye" and insufficient evidence to the contrary meant it only went in as a low end breach at that. So 4 weeks, down to 2 due to no previous...

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/sta ... 01479?s=19

I hope the RFU citing committee don't take that sort of line with the Carreras...
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:21 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:08 pm Willemse got 2 weeks?! What?????!!!
Stated it was only "contact with the eye area" not either "intentional contact with the eye" or "reckless contact with the eye" and insufficient evidence to the contrary meant it only went in as a low end breach at that. So 4 weeks, down to 2 due to no previous...

https://twitter.com/RugbyInsideLine/sta ... 01479?s=19

I hope the RFU citing committee don't take that sort of line with the Carreras...
I'm really surprised it wasn't deemed reckless contact with the eye - can only assume that Willemse's fingers were on the cheekbone & brow.

Also assume it was longer & reduced for good record & behaviour etc.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:35 pm Rugby is a contact sport and over the years the authorities have done a lot to clean up the game to prevent injuries. Contact with the head has its consequences and is rightly addressed with protocols including sanctions and HIAs etc.
There have been some incidents in recent weeks (Banahan, Van Wyk, Thorley) where the contact has been head on head and all the players have been red carded and subsequently banned...
In my opinion, these were all rugby accidents and did not warrant a Red card.
There was no intent, no forearm or shoulder aiming for the players head. The tackle was made below shoulder height and heads subsequently clashed, tackling player not leading with his head to make contact. Soon we are going to have an instruction that all tackles must be 6" above the waste........may seem ridiculous but there are going to be accidents and this needs to be recognised. The refs are very much in a tunnel where they cannot deviate from the outcome of a red card being awarded.
Am all for players safety, but there are going to be accidental collisions............it is a contact sport.
Red cards should used for foul play where the contact has been made with a forearm, shoulder etc........
Your post is contradictory:

If "Contact with the head has its consequences and is rightly addressed with protocols including sanctions and HIAs etc." how can you then say "In my opinion, these were all rugby accidents and did not warrant a Red card."? How you would rightly address contact with head with little (sin bin) or no sanction?

You say they tackle's were made "below shoulder height" so how can there be direct contact to the head?

You say it's "accidental" but it's not accidental that they are making upright tackes is it?

Players should ideally be tackling waist or below. Chest height is OK but potentially leads to rising to the neck which becomes foul play. Players agree and accept this, why can't fans?