TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Gouges

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

What's with eye gouges this weekend.

One by Falcons (not red carded)
One by France (red carded)
One against Sinkler - deemed accidental I think. And now seen on Twitter there's some alleging Sexton may have Gouged Genge?

Can't remember last time eye gouging had one incident let alone 4 in one weekend possibly ...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Gouges

Post by Big Dai »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:35 pm What's with eye gouges this weekend.

One against Sinkler - deemed accidental I think. And now seen on Twitter there's some alleging Sexton may have Gouged Genge?

Can't remember last time eye gouging had one incident let alone 4 in one weekend possibly ...
I think our old freind Dupuy was caught on camera.... And one on Dan Cole in the "Gypsygate" game.... I think.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If anyone thinks the Sinkler one is a gouge, the world really has gone mad, still trying to work out Aki's Red.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Williemses was shocking,just saw a replay! Friday nights was disgusting too,premeditated and I hope it’s a big a ban as possible!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:41 pm If anyone thinks the Sinkler one is a gouge, the world really has gone mad, still trying to work out Aki's Red.
Aki shouldered him in the head,no mitigation. And you know what I’m like about harsh reds. Definitely a red,a million %. See Banahans today for a dodgy red for reference
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:35 pm What's with eye gouges this weekend.

I've seen the video of Genge over the top of Sexton and using his arms/elbows but no idea what kicked it off
Super User
Super User

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:43 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:41 pm If anyone thinks the Sinkler one is a gouge, the world really has gone mad, still trying to work out Aki's Red.
Aki shouldered him in the head,no mitigation. And you know what I’m like about harsh reds. Definitely a red,a million %. See Banahans today for a dodgy red for reference
Specsavers...

No such thing as more than 100% btw..
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:07 pm
Specsavers...

There is when I’m making a point lol and it was defo a red,shoulder to head,no mitigation. Red. The end.
Super User
Super User

More head to shoulder.

I think you mean a millionth of a %.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:33 pm More head to shoulder.

I think you mean a millionth of a %.
That’s what I thought when I first saw it,looked like he fell into it. But upon further replays it was definitely shoulder to head. As you were...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:51 pm

I've seen the video of Genge over the top of Sexton and using his arms/elbows but no idea what kicked it off
Yeah I've not seen it myself, I just saw something on my phone yesterday where I couldn't tell exactly what was happening.

Gouging thankfully in the era of TMO's is a very rare event, just seems we've had one of those freak weekends where we have had a number of incidents.

Carreras IMO is far and away the worst incident I've seen in a couple of seasons, the premeditated way he checks where Bassett's eye is, then reaches in and gouges, where he thinks the cameras can't catch him.

Williemses was bad, but not even in the same league as Carreras...

As I said in the thread about the round 14 games there's 3 distinct levels to gouging in the sanctions.

1. Intentional contact with the eyes (low end 12 wk, mid range 18wk, top end 24+ wk)

2. Reckless contact with eyes (low end 6 wk, mid range 12 wk, top end 18+)

3. Contact with eye area (low end 4wk, mid range 8 wk, top end 12+)

Carreras is at least intentional mid range, reckon personally that Williemses is reckless more than international.

With the one on Sinkler, reading that it seems that intention is not a factor, like with head contact any contact seems to be deemed a red card so intentional or not there could be further sanction, we'll wait and see...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Galthié basically accused Wyn Jones (the prop) of milking it, bit of a stupid thing to say when it achieves nothing and you have also won the match. It may not have been premeditated by Willemse but there was clear contact to the eye area.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

https://www.buzz.ie/rugby/england-ellis ... ons-423371

Irish page so they are out for Genge's blood.

As the clip starts Sexton's hand is over Genge's face. Who knows what's happened there. Ellis doesn't normally react like that.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

It looked like Gengey was repeatedly punching with elbow/forearm/fair on the ground?? ...it’s hard to tell with the footage exactly what’s going on but it doesn’t look good 😳 ...can anyone clarify what they saw ?
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:07 pm
Specsavers...

Technically there is. If a company sets a target of £1000 profit but they actually make £2000 profit, they have achieved 200% of their target. 😉