Tigers vs Falcons - 28th March 2021 at 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tigers vs Falcons - 28th March 2021 at 15:00

Post by Goodevibrations »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:53 pm Slightly off topic, thought the Falcons were really poor, Hodgson threw away a couple of decent attacking platforms. One player who did stand out was young Stevenson on the wing. Hadn’t seen much of him at all, at 22 looks a prospect.
I agree to an extent. I think the game revealed why we're not a top four side. Any of the current top four would have wrapped up the bonus point against them quite early on.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

teds wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:40 pm
Goodevibrations wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:51 pm I think Wigglesworth has been a very good signing for us. Vastly experienced and intelligent scrum-half and I think he's had a positive impact on JVP. I must say though that we look much more dangerous with JVP on the pitch. At what point do we give Jack more starts?
Welcome to the forum. Totally agree JVP should be getting more starts.

To be honest I don’t agree with you on the value Wigglesworth brings, but it would be boring if we all agreed on everything.
I think Wigglesworth has been an excellent signing. Clearly not everyone's cup of tea but he is a leader on the pitch and will be a good mentor for the young lads, especially when Youngs is away. I think the expectation is that he will slip into more of a coaching role, maybe even next season and I imagine JvP will be firmly in the backup 9 jersey. White still has a huge amount to offer too and shouldn't be written off yet.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Harry Potter has got something. Going forward he looks more of a threat than van Wyk. Happy to see more of him over the next few weeks.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Getting Hipkiss vibes from Kelly. :smt023
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:05 pm Getting Hipkiss vibes from Kelly. :smt023
Yeah... but Kelly passes :smt044 :smt044
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:05 pm Getting Hipkiss vibes from Kelly. :smt023
I was thinking the same thing. Very strong, stay on his feet and a bit of a nuisance.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:59 pm
teds wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:40 pm
Goodevibrations wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:51 pm I think Wigglesworth has been a very good signing for us. Vastly experienced and intelligent scrum-half and I think he's had a positive impact on JVP. I must say though that we look much more dangerous with JVP on the pitch. At what point do we give Jack more starts?
Welcome to the forum. Totally agree JVP should be getting more starts.

To be honest I don’t agree with you on the value Wigglesworth brings, but it would be boring if we all agreed on everything.
I think Wigglesworth has been an excellent signing. Clearly not everyone's cup of tea but he is a leader on the pitch and will be a good mentor for the young lads, especially when Youngs is away. I think the expectation is that he will slip into more of a coaching role, maybe even next season and I imagine JvP will be firmly in the backup 9 jersey. White still has a huge amount to offer too and shouldn't be written off yet.
White's development seemed to stall last season, he looks to have improved again this season. Wigglesworth looked off the pace today, he too will have to start performing or with Youngs back he won't be in the 23. Wigglesworth was an essential signing this season and if the young guys push him out then the succession plan we put in place last summer has worked perfectly.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Goodevibrations wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:03 pm Harry Potter has got something. Going forward he looks more of a threat than van Wyk. Happy to see more of him over the next few weeks.
Agree massively on this. Impresses every time I see him play. Looks hungry in attack and defence, has the look of a nice deft boot, and is a quick winger. Compliments Nadolo and Steward as a first choice back 3 in my view.
A very shrewd signing. Wouldn't mind some more under the radar signings like Kelly, Potter, Porter, Henderson, Chessum etc and thats where you build your squad depth. Here's hoping Dolly and Hurd come along in a similar vein.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:06 pm There needs to be an element of common sense, this seems to have fallen out of the game at the minutes.
Yesterday in the Sale game, Luke James lined up Josh Bassett, set his height a metre or so ahead of contact, below Bassett, but then within that last metre Bassett slipped and it ended up a high shot. What more can James do? You can’t account for slips. Equally the Robinson one on Steward that didn’t get picked up today, if argue the same again, Robinson was at a safe height until Wilson’s impact rocked Steward back and changed his level.
As for the De Bruin incident. TMO actually overrules the ref. Dickson quite clearly says when watching the replay, that he is not concerned by it unless the TMO says otherwise. Kitt then proceeds to overrule Dickson. De Bruin was on a decoy line, but ultimately he’s so far away from the ball, did he actually impact the defenders ability to get across, not likely.
Flip side of that coin, the Welch try, TMO states he can see the ball is held up, but Dickson ignores it. Lack of consistency must be a killer when your on the park.
Common sense needs to prevail. We can sit and make these observations a lot clearer having won. If we’d lost and made the same views, it would have seemed bitter.
As for Wiese, his disciplinary record wasn’t great back in SA either. The incident with Welsh, was I it a red, I’d say not. It was a technical offence, not foul play, and as such I don’t think it could (or should) warrant a red. But, he does need to take a look at his decision making on the pitch, and how he continues to leave himself open to refs calls. Playing on the edge is one thing, but when you start to risk missing more games than you play, is it worth it?
And Genge? Quiet today, think the prematch shenanigans actually detracted from his game. Not sure if his head was right from the off. That may sound harsh, but he has set his own standards very high, and today he was not quite firing on all cylinders. International hangover maybe. Perhaps would have been better starting on the bench and easing back in.
Good summary 👍
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I love Gengey, but honestly, his form has been bang average since Covid.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I think the underlying theme here is that we could and should have had a tbp against that side. Its not all the refs fault but he and the tmo were clearly not on the same page and both were poor at times. We do however need to be smarter and not give them a reason. Wiese could be our best player or biggest liability, I really think the former. Ultimately if not many are happy after a win it does show how much we have moved forward.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I honestly think, with 20k+ fans screaming them on, we’d have got the try bonus.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Bit of a meh game all round really.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Believe that we saw the game out well after a rocky period in the second half.However discipline (lack of) could have cost us more.We simply have to adapt to what is obviously required by the referee's when it comes to physical contact.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
glenn

Post by glenn »

I think with 20k+ fans in the house that some of the referee and tmo decisions would not have occured. Dickson would have been booed out of welford road yesterday and rightly so.