Re-Shaping Leicester Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Re-Shaping Leicester Tigers | Episode 1

Post by Dangerous4 »

Losing Manu was no bad thing, It released a huge amount of money. He moved to Sale, but how much good has he done them? Injuries are still a massive issue, though rather them than us.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think we are seeing things evolve into a Borthwick team.

I think he inherited a side in chaos, with years of looking inwards without the objectivity of an outsider.

We had too many years of internal coaching appointments. Even with the best of intentions it is hard to be objective when selecting players you have known for many years, played with some and haven't played or coached elsewhere.
Some young players have been given their chance, others the heave ho and some of the senior players have gone too and those that remain are those that buy into the new ethos. The salary cut issue was perhaps a crossroads, in the short term it hurt the side but also made it clear that no player is more important than the team. That's not a criticism of the players who left, they have short careers, mortgages to pay and futures to plan for and have to make considerations for themselves and their families. However it may well have shocked some to the core to discover we wre not going to treat anyone as special or more important than the team. A good thing for those that stayed.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:28 pm I think we are seeing things evolve into a Borthwick team.

I think he inherited a side in chaos, with years of looking inwards without the objectivity of an outsider.

We had too many years of internal coaching appointments. Even with the best of intentions it is hard to be objective when selecting players you have known for many years, played with some and haven't played or coached elsewhere.
Some young players have been given their chance, others the heave ho and some of the senior players have gone too and those that remain are those that buy into the new ethos. The salary cut issue was perhaps a crossroads, in the short term it hurt the side but also made it clear that no player is more important than the team. That's not a criticism of the players who left, they have short careers, mortgages to pay and futures to plan for and have to make considerations for themselves and their families. However it may well have shocked some to the core to discover we wre not going to treat anyone as special or more important than the team. A good thing for those that stayed.
I agree with some of that, but Dean Richards made the change well and so did John Wells, the game has changed and maybe there was an element of some of those that followed not controlling the squad, you can only have person calling the shots, Borthwick seems to have everyone's attention and those that don't want to be onboard will be left behind, for me using our academy players more is key, that gives us the Tigers core, people here for the shirt just as much as the money.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Under Borthwick it would appear that The Club has one voice and one direction to take it forward.No bad thing.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:10 am Under Borthwick it would appear that The Club has one voice and one direction to take it forward.No bad thing.
That's true, but it mustn't become an environment where people are afraid to question.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree that people should not be afraid to question, but having raised the question they should accept the answer, on match day all should be working to the same basic game plan, individuals with their own agenda will just cause confusion, that is not to say that there is no room for some individual flare when an opportunity presents its self but it should be of the moment and not leave the rest of the team behind.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:40 am I agree that people should not be afraid to question, but having raised the question they should accept the answer, on match day all should be working to the same basic game plan, individuals with their own agenda will just cause confusion, that is not to say that there is no room for some individual flare when an opportunity presents its self but it should be of the moment and not leave the rest of the team behind.
Cannot wait for a return to matchdays in the Crumbie shouting on Tigers with the great crowd around us, plus the thought of another Fans Forum to air these questions directly.. Keep well John, hoping it is not too long now. :smt023
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:28 pm I think we are seeing things evolve into a Borthwick team.

Agreed. I have a friend who worked at Loughborough University in the Sports Science department for a number of years. Directly involved with the co-ordinating the degree programmes for elite performers. Worked with nine world champions in different sports. He knew I was a Tigers supporter, and said how arrogant Tigers were on the coaching front. That the people at Loughborough could teach them nothing. Borthwick comes across as a coach who is desperate to keep on learning.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I'm looking forward to episode 2 tonight.
Hopefully Bondi will have another popcorn container in the background too!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:44 pm I'm looking forward to episode 2 tonight.
Hopefully Bondi will have another popcorn container in the background too!
I think that’s pretty wishful thinking I’m afraid.

Who knows in future it might be a sushi container in the background instead, if current rumours are to be believed...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott Clarke - Head of Community & Global Partnerships is in the hot seat tonight.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bondi sporting a fine tache.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:47 am Bondi sporting a fine tache.
So long as he doesn't start singing 'In the navy....' :smt040
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

episode 3 tonight is with Steve Borthwick, should be a good one
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:11 pm episode 3 tonight is with Steve Borthwick, should be a good one
Well that depends on if he chooses to actually answer any of the questions...
But in seriousness it might be more insightful than some of his more normal press utterances.
I hope there is an Episode with Aled as that could be entertaining & informative.
To win is not as important as playing with style!