Re-Shaping Leicester Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Re-Shaping Leicester Tigers

Post by Scott1 »

I do laugh at the different way the mauls are reffed depending on if it’s started from a lineout or choke tackle!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

I find the maul the dullest aspect of our sport. I know Neil Back et al scored shed loads of tries through it but there’s not really much to like for me.
Its one saving grace is that, moving forward, it draws in defenders from the edges and creates the potential of more space but how often is the ball released and that space utilised.
Moreover, the current laws just create a mess, whereby defenders hang around anywhere as long as they don’t change their bind. At the very least, go back to the old laws where, if they are in front of the ball, they have to go back and come in from their own side.
Admittedly, I’m struggling to think of how to make the maul more of a spectacle but in terms of the game as a whole, how about not allowing mauls from line outs in the 22, so teams have to find more inventive and entertaining ways to score!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I’m afraid that’s what is wrong with the game now. They are changing the laws to make the game more entertaining. I will take a 3 point win over an entertaining 50-49 defeat all day long.
A2O
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:28 pm I’m afraid that’s what is wrong with the game now. They are changing the laws to make the game more entertaining. I will take a 3 point win over an entertaining 50-49 defeat all day long.
Sorry, I just can’t relate to this. Why watch a sport if it doesn’t entertain you? That’s precisely why I don’t watch motor racing or synchronised swimming.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Because the term “entertaining “ can be used in many different ways. For many life long rugby fans, like me, the intricacies of a hard fought low scoring game with lots of mauls and scrums IS entertaining. A game that is often derided as “one for the connoisseurs “ is at the heart of why we love rugby so much. We see our game down graded to draw in new bums on seats, at the cost of what we value. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a flowing well worked backs try. But sometimes that just doesn’t work and there has to be balance, some grunt and heft to go with the twinkling toes. And on wet muddy freezing cold days, it’s the grunt that makes the game worth while

I’ve supported England and Tigers all my life, 2 sides that have often been accused in that time of being boring. Well, whenever we’ve lifted a trophy, and there have been many, one thing I’ve honestly never felt is bored. It’s rugby, it’s not Strictly. There are no points for style.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

loretta wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:04 am Because the term “entertaining “ can be used in many different ways. For many life long rugby fans, like me, the intricacies of a hard fought low scoring game with lots of mauls and scrums IS entertaining. A game that is often derided as “one for the connoisseurs “ is at the heart of why we love rugby so much. We see our game down graded to draw in new bums on seats, at the cost of what we value. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a flowing well worked backs try. But sometimes that just doesn’t work and there has to be balance, some grunt and heft to go with the twinkling toes. And on wet muddy freezing cold days, it’s the grunt that makes the game worth while

I’ve supported England and Tigers all my life, 2 sides that have often been accused in that time of being boring. Well, whenever we’ve lifted a trophy, and there have been many, one thing I’ve honestly never felt is bored. It’s rugby, it’s not Strictly. There are no points for style.
This. Couldn’t have put it better myself.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I subscribe to Meyers (this isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. This is a collision sport" philosophy. Give me a player running over a player rather than running around him all day long. Union to me is a war without weapons played in the right spirit. It's about dominating your opposite number. I love a good arm wrestle! But can easily get bored quick too if it's a poor game as you all know 😜
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I enjoy all aspects of rugby because it has it all, individual brilliance, precision, team cohesion, skill set and brute power. For me I like a stunning set-piece move such as Damian Penaud's try versus England as much as a latch-and-go try from our own Harry Wells versus Gloucester. Rugby is a sport where you need to have everything, you can't just be Harlem Globetrotter style attack from your 22 but England have also proved that you need more variation than boot the leather off the ball and hope for a turnover to be a successful side.

In Leicester this season, despite not having an attack coach and relying on a kicking-game based strategy in recent weeks I'm seeing enough evidence to suggest that we are trying to variate our attack more.

And I'm sure regardless of what style of rugby you prefer I'm sure we're all chomping at the bit to get back to Mattioli Woods Welford Road to cheer the lads on as soon as we can.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

There is the issue of filling seats at WR, you have your supporters who will come regardless, those that will come of the results pick up, but to fill the place (when/if that becomes an option) you unfortunately need to provide "entertainment" & something worth the money you pay out if Rugby isn't necessarily your "thing", now we don't play at the same time as the City, there is market to tap into.
The in-school work is essential, I liked Rugby, but the Free Schoolboy ticket got me to go to WR & caused so much enjoyment & angst.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

This weekend's episode has moved to Monday night, but I'm really excited to see it's Aled Walters this week...

We'll see whether they recorded it before or after the 6N game on Friday I think...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Really enjoyed tonight's episode again!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

At the end of the Channel 5 highlights programme George Ford interviewed. He said how much improvement he had noticed in the Tigers squad between his leaving for the England bubble and his return. Couldn't wait to play and praised Leibenberg and Weise.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It would appear that Aled (or Burt) is a fully paid up member of the wind up Dan Cole club.

Another interesting insight.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Interesting comments from Aled about how he gave up playing youth rugby because he wanted to watch Llanelli instead. I had a similar dilemma, was missing way too many Tigers home games because of Colts, but that wasn't the full reason why I stopped playing.

I also have no intention of becoming a Head of S&C either :smt003.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni