Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Re-Shaping Leicester Tigers | Episode 1

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:54 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:11 pm episode 3 tonight is with Steve Borthwick, should be a good one
Well that depends on if he chooses to actually answer any of the questions...
But in seriousness it might be more insightful than some of his more normal press utterances.
I hope there is an Episode with Aled as that could be entertaining & informative.
Well if it's an hour long episode of him saying nothing then Bondi has a lot of talking to get through....

Bondi said at the start he was planning on having about 5 or 6 episodes in this series so hopefully.

Personally if they can swing it I'd like the last one to be the new guy Leigh Jones, a bit of an outsiders view, what his plan is etc.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I reckon Bondi could happily talk for an hour...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

This is such a clash lol
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Oof Borthwick saying that on his first day he asked a training group to leave the field as it wasn't too his standard.
Talk about laying down a marker.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:15 pm Oof Borthwick saying that on his first day he asked a training group to leave the field as it wasn't too his standard.
Talk about laying down a marker.
Yeah that sounds like it was needed, I wonder who may have been in that group? He did say they responded well.

I am pleased to see he has set himself goals and targets including a timeline, even if we get soundbites about the journey. I also liked the bit at the end where he said support from fans is conditional on giving everything.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I thought it was a interesting interview
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:22 pm I thought it was a interesting interview
100% agree
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Very interesting interview...dedication and standards - great characteristics to have and instill where at all possible.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Just finished watching it - had to watch Line Of Duty half way through - and am more impressed with both of them. Borthwick isn’t as fluent and verbose ‘speaker’ by any stretch than many but you get a good sense of his standards and expectations. Credit to them both, well done and looking forward to the next one.

Would be interested to get a different aspect on roles within the club such as Cheryl the grounds person, maybe a dietician if one exists. Just some ideas.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

He’s spot on with the working hard thing. Anyone can work hard but you’ve got to know where you’re going and collectively work towards that. We were behind everyone else, I wonder if he thinks we’ve drawn level or gone past any clubs ?
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Couple have gone backwards in my opinion. Wuss, Glaws - usually league table is pretty accurate reflection.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Given the improvements we have seen over the past few weeks I would be very disappointed if we didn’t finish in the top 7.
A2O
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Re-Shaping Leicester Tigers

Post by Snoopydog68 »

I'm really happy with the progress of the club since Borthwick's arrival. Enjoyed last night's episode. However I feel for the players who have missed out on opportunities due to the last few years coaching. Some good younger players have missed out on Borthwick's magic and I feel for them. If he had arrived earlier then we would have a good mix of established players and academy graduates. I feel that this is changing now and that more graduates will stay with the club but the likes of Lewis, Kerr, Worth and Olowofela have missed out on good coaching and this maybe why some of them have been loaned out to other clubs to get them up to speed, or Borthwick feels he can't do anything further with them? They should be able to get up to speed with Tigers so we can use them to cover injuries etc. Hopefully this is the start of a return to Tigers that we all remember and love but I feel some players careers have been put on hold and jeopardised because of the complete lack of forward thinking from the club prior to SB's arrival.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Well he's not the most eloquent of speakers, but he clearly does get his message across to the players - 'hard work' and 'not going away', being two key requirements he repeatedly comes back to.

Nice that he acknowledged Aled Walters as being a top 'coach', citing his ability to get more out of the players.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

An interesting interview, the obsession with hard work is mildly annoying, playing rugby is their job, professional sport is a profession where your workers can not be putting in the graft, yet you rarely sack them as you would in the real world, the boss gets the sack, I expect anyone with a job to work hard, not just the employees of my Rugby Team. Just because at one point we had a fantastic set of forwards & dominated nearly ever other team that isn't necessarily what all Tigers Supporters see as our DNA & I am not entirely convinced our HC realises that.
But credit for doing the Interview as he obviously isn't comfortable with that aspect of his role, but there were parts where the mask slipped a little with his interactions with Bondi, it was a shame laddergate wasn't bought up.
To win is not as important as playing with style!