Re-Shaping Leicester Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re-Shaping Leicester Tigers

Post by ourla »

I may have missed but don't think there has been a thread.... interview with Peter and Andrea....

https://youtu.be/NfxORUD3Cno

They were asked about the legal action by the players Manu, Bateman, Telusa, etc. and I think the answer was it's all done. Again, maybe I missed it previously but I didn't know that had all been sorted.. :smt017
Last edited by ourla on Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Re-Shaping Leicester Tigers | Episode 1

Post by ourla »

Peter also admits to have been a year or two behind the curve on certain things.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Yeah I think bits of it were mentioned elsewhere, but key points I took from it:

Yes they stated that the club was settled or settling before June all outstanding claims so next accounts would be very clean.

Discussed how Leigh Jones was appointed and how they think he's the right man for the job., plus how player recruitment is much more in depth.

How they now have a much more streamlined staffing including much better roles and responsibilities.

How the loan money is not just to pay the next few months salaries but secures the future of the club for the next few years, alongside the other plans put in place.

How the hotel is planned for completion next year and how that will provide revenue streams for the club.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Leigh Jones came via Elite Performance Partners, as did Aled they said.

I bet EPP services don't come cheap but then again if the guys they get in are top notch ultimately we'll be quids in!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

When you reflect upon the legal case taken by the players it was a pretty disgusting course of action on their part. It would appear that future recruitment seems to be and should be considering character and values as well as an ability to play. Recruiting players and staff that fit the vision and fit each other’s common value set will be an Important building block for future success ...I’m buoyed by the prospect
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

KiwiTig wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:03 am When you reflect upon the legal case taken by the players it was a pretty disgusting course of action on their part. It would appear that future recruitment seems to be and should be considering character and values as well as an ability to play. Recruiting players and staff that fit the vision and fit each other’s common value set will be an Important building block for future success ...I’m buoyed by the prospect
I am a great believer in fate and, whilst many will have differing opinions on the decisions made by those players, I think that few can argue that their stance and departure has not left the club in a better place. The emergence of Steward at full back, the release of a significant chunk of salary cap, players who are more consistently available and who are showing real Tiger's spirit etc. Their decision was disappointing but I cannot help but feel that the club and the playing staff available are stronger as a result. What I am relieved about is that we appear to have got our ducks in a row pretty early, taken our medicine and moved on. I still suspect that there are a number of clubs who may well have this all still to go through.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

KiwiTig wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:03 am When you reflect upon the legal case taken by the players it was a pretty disgusting course of action on their part. It would appear that future recruitment seems to be and should be considering character and values as well as an ability to play. Recruiting players and staff that fit the vision and fit each other’s common value set will be an Important building block for future success ...I’m buoyed by the prospect
It's just amazing, I mean really amazing, that this wasn't happening before in a really disciplined manner. The old adage in any role. It's 80% who you are and 20% what you do.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

:smt041
GB72 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:44 am
I am a great believer in fate and, whilst many will have differing opinions on the decisions made by those players, I think that few can argue that their stance and departure has not left the club in a better place. The emergence of Steward at full back, the release of a significant chunk of salary cap, players who are more consistently available and who are showing real Tiger's spirit etc. Their decision was disappointing but I cannot help but feel that the club and the playing staff available are stronger as a result. What I am relieved about is that we appear to have got our ducks in a row pretty early, taken our medicine and moved on. I still suspect that there are a number of clubs who may well have this all still to go through.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Yeah, you kind of got the feeling, without them actually saying it, they felt the same way.

It's maybe taken longer than it should but perhaps we have knocked ourselves into a bit of shape.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Regarding the “Rebels” whilst I can understand that suddenly having a 25% pay cut imposed on you would be a shock and understandably may force you to look elsewhere for employment, I find it totally bewildering under the circumstances of the pandemic that you would look to sue your employers.
The majority of the squad accepted the pay cuts and whilst Lavanini and Taufua have decided to move on since then, what were the club supposed to do.
As someone stated earlier on this thread Tigers dealt with this situation at the time and I suspect other clubs will still have this fallout to come.
A2O
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:29 am Regarding the “Rebels” whilst I can understand that suddenly having a 25% pay cut imposed on you would be a shock and understandably may force you to look elsewhere for employment, I find it totally bewildering under the circumstances of the pandemic that you would look to sue your employers.
The majority of the squad accepted the pay cuts and whilst Lavanini and Taufua have decided to move on since then, what were the club supposed to do.
As someone stated earlier on this thread Tigers dealt with this situation at the time and I suspect other clubs will still have this fallout to come.
Well put. I think they were badly advised by agents and egged on by the media.

Legally they had a strong case and would probably have won, but why bother! Tigers would keep their money for 18 months before it got to court. They wouldn't be awarded legal fees or damages.

I wouldn't be suprised if they settled for pretty much what they were originally offered.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

BrightonTiger wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:06 pm
ay2oh wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:29 am Regarding the “Rebels” whilst I can understand that suddenly having a 25% pay cut imposed on you would be a shock and understandably may force you to look elsewhere for employment, I find it totally bewildering under the circumstances of the pandemic that you would look to sue your employers.
Well put. I think they were badly advised by agents and egged on by the media.

Legally they had a strong case and would probably have won, but why bother! Tigers would keep their money for 18 months before it got to court. They wouldn't be awarded legal fees or damages.

I wouldn't be suprised if they settled for pretty much what they were originally offered.
It does somewhat surprise me that they took that approach when there was, to my mind, a relatively simple solution. The players signed new contracts with a pay cut and a clause that allowed them to enter talks with other clubs and leave if they so wished if an offer was made with no ongoing liability on either side.

My personal, and very uninformed opinion is that the club was not disappointed to see the back of some of them and by taking a hard stance, they managed that without the probable outcry when people's favourite players left. After all, and this is me looking at things very harshly, what did we lose, a full back who was never quite the same after injury, a reserve prop who was not on the best form at the time, one centre who seemed like a bit of a panic signing at the time and never quite hit the expected highs and a very expensive centre who hardly wore the Tigers shirt for a number of years.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Should have said Andrea also said that actually she didn't blame them (or something like that) and that she had been speaking to a couple of them at least throughout. Maybe she was trying to keep it all "sensible" and adult like I don't know but the impression given was that it was never as big a deal as some may have perceived it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dont forget one of the rebels had very loose lips too,hes lucky he got anything tbf!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

ourla wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:23 pm Leigh Jones came via Elite Performance Partners, as did Aled they said.

I bet EPP services don't come cheap but then again if the guys they get in are top notch ultimately we'll be quids in!
Elite Performance Partners did conduct the necessary world wide search to recruit Leigh Jones however! :smt002
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!