Premiership Rugby Cup - is cancelled

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Premiership Rugby Cup - is cancelled

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Does anyone know any details of the Cup games starting?

Only thing I can find is this quote:
The Premiership Rugby Cup will be staged as a midweek competition in the 2020-21 season, starting after the Six Nations, with matches live on BT Sport.
This however was from an article (link below) back in September, prior to lockdown's 2 & 3.

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/f ... -announced

We're now heading towards the end of the 6N and I haven't seen any details on the competition/fixtures/format.

Given there's a lot of players still in the squad not getting much gametime I think it vital that something happens, it gives other players chances to push their cases forward for selection and ensures they are match sharp. The lack of any details around it however is concerning, given we're rapidly approaching the end of the 6 Nations.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Premiership Rugby Cup - This Season

Post by Dangerous4 »

This season is just so surreal.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Premiership Rugby Cup - This Season

Post by sk 88 »

The rugby paper reported it was happening recently.

I would be surprised if it was played with no crowds, but they are all getting tested anyway and if BT Sport is happy to broadcast the games and/or allow others to be streamed by the clubs then we might as well play it I think. The mid week element will force the kid of fringe teams many people seem to want from the competition.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Premiership Cup cancelled

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/no ... his-season

Looks like there won't be a midweek competition

That means the likes of this team is unlikely to get much if any game time once internationals are back...

Potter
Simmons
Taute
Porter
Aspland-Robinson
Bonilla/McPhillps
White
Whitcombe
Kerr
Leatigaga
Henderson
Chessum
Lavin
Wallace
Smith T

Vanes
Marfo
Dimen
Manz
Smith K
Wigglesworth (I think JVP/Youngs in 1st team)
McPhillps/Bonilla
Williams

Ok so I've made a few guesstimates as who may drop out once England players are back, but it shows that our squad has the depth to put out x2 23's even with a few injuries in our squad. Think it's a real pity these guys won't be getting any real gametime this year, was looking forward to the prem cup.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Rugby Cup - is cancelled

Post by JP14 »

It's a pity but for me it's the right decision. Although our internationals will be back, I suspect there will still be rotation as the season is going to get pretty relentless with Europe as well coming up.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
bendy

Post by bendy »

And how many of that second (/third) XV can we now quickly loan to Ealing, Jersey, Cornwall etc?

No reason... just asking....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Some of the younger players need to be found game time somewhere as a matter of priority.

The lack of opportunity for White to play behind a better set of forwards is just odd.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:07 pm Some of the younger players need to be found game time somewhere as a matter of priority.

The lack of opportunity for White to play behind a better set of forwards is just odd.
I don't think its that odd. he is 4th choice SH at the moment with Youngs (1st), Wigglesworth (2nd) and JVP (3rd). Yes he has potential but JVP is ahead of him at the moment and we aren't going to go into a game with both JVP and White when Wigglesworth is available as we need that experience.

Don't get me wrong, I think White is a good player, but JVP gives you that something extra. I know its going to be hard for him to get game time but WW isn't going to be a player for too much longer and then he will likely get his chance.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rob18C wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:31 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:07 pm Some of the younger players need to be found game time somewhere as a matter of priority.

I don't think its that odd. he is 4th choice SH at the moment with Youngs (1st), Wigglesworth (2nd) and JVP (3rd). Yes he has potential but JVP is ahead of him at the moment and we aren't going to go into a game with both JVP and White when Wigglesworth is available as we need that experience.

Don't get me wrong, I think White is a good player, but JVP gives you that something extra. I know its going to be hard for him to get game time but WW isn't going to be a player for too much longer and then he will likely get his chance.
We need to know if he is up to the job, as JVP is better deployed off the bench for a bit longer, YBY is only around for about 50% of the games, if White doesn't look the part we need another 9 in his mid 20's.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

This just highlights everything that is wrong with rugby. It’s all about the Premiership. Oh no, how will the fringe players get game time ? So, what about the Prem players who are already on loan at Championship clubs.....who are taking the place of younger players trying to make their way in the second tier ? No, forget about them. Some of those players have waited a year to get back into training and are now holding tackle bags for players who aren’t even part of their club. Sums it up.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:20 pm This just highlights everything that is wrong with rugby. It’s all about the Premiership.
It's because of Covid.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It is ok saying that young players need game time but where are they to get it, apart from the limited Championship there is no rugby below Premiership, no A League, no Academy games, no County and no Schools. there is only elite sport taking place. Many criticised Steve Borthwick for selecting what they saw as weakened teams at the end of last season when we had nothing to gain by fielding our strongest team. This season although there is no relegation there is a benefit to being in the top six so strong teams are being selected with a degree of rotation but whenever a team is announced there will be posts asking the where abouts of this or that player. I agree with WRFC that White needs game time and I am sure he will get some but it has to be managed for the overall and long term good of the team.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:20 pm This just highlights everything that is wrong with rugby. It’s all about the Premiership. Oh no, how will the fringe players get game time ? So, what about the Prem players who are already on loan at Championship clubs.....who are taking the place of younger players trying to make their way in the second tier ? No, forget about them. Some of those players have waited a year to get back into training and are now holding tackle bags for players who aren’t even part of their club. Sums it up.
The reason for the cancellation were made very clear:

“The 2020/21 Premiership Rugby Cup was planned as a development competition, but it was clear that in this unique season it would not be possible to add additional players to playing squads and properly prepare them for competition without compromising the club’s Covid-19 training bubble which everyone has fought so hard to protect.”

Protecting the Premiership competition has to take priority. It's what pays the wages and attracts the TV coverage which in turn is the spur for the commercial sponsorship.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

ourla wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:21 am
westwinds31 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:20 pm This just highlights everything that is wrong with rugby. It’s all about the Premiership.
It's because of Covid.
Yes it is, so why send players from one club to another ? The Championship players have waited long enough to train and play, so let them, rather than use squad players from Premiership sides.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Noggs wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:24 am
westwinds31 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:20 pm This just highlights everything that is wrong with rugby. It’s all about the Premiership. Oh no, how will the fringe players get game time ? So, what about the Prem players who are already on loan at Championship clubs.....who are taking the place of younger players trying to make their way in the second tier ? No, forget about them. Some of those players have waited a year to get back into training and are now holding tackle bags for players who aren’t even part of their club. Sums it up.
The reason for the cancellation were made very clear:

“The 2020/21 Premiership Rugby Cup was planned as a development competition, but it was clear that in this unique season it would not be possible to add additional players to playing squads and properly prepare them for competition without compromising the club’s Covid-19 training bubble which everyone has fought so hard to protect.”

Protecting the Premiership competition has to take priority. It's what pays the wages and attracts the TV coverage which in turn is the spur for the commercial sponsorship.
My point is that with that competition not happening, where will those players get game time ? In the Championship is part of the answer, stopping their squad players from developing and playing.