South African Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

South African Tigers

Post by Goodevibrations »

I've seen a fair few negative comments about the number of South African players that we've signed. I personally don't care at all. If they're the players to take us forward then I'm more than happy about that, especially given how bad the last few years have been for the club. I'd understand those comments a little more if we weren't seeing anyone progressing from the academy, but that's not the case. In JVP, Martin and Steward we have three young players who in my opinion will all go on to play for England. I feel like we have a real identity now and that we're genuinely not that far away from having a team who can challenge. It's most positive I've felt as a Leicester Tigers supporter for quite some time.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: South African Tigers

Post by fentiger »

+1 :smt023
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Think I started that on the signings thread.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm well pleased with the signings and the timings of them. They are all clearly qualify players which is what we need, and I suppose having a few from the same country might be good for moral.

My issue, well not issue, worry I suppose, is that it could get in the way of progress. We have some great up and coming talent and some that are really on the cusp of becoming full first teamers or even internationals.

I really want this raft of new signings be great for the club, but we have to keep giving game time to the young academy lads. The recent rotations have really helped them IMO so we've got to keep up with it.

I don't actually think anyone is being negative about the SA signings just voicing an opinion like mine above. The young lads are the future of Tigers. End of.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So we have signed another 3 South Africans. If they are up to the task and play well and get Tigers back up where we all want to be regularly competing in the top 4 then, as mentioned by the OP who really cares what nationality they are?

Van Wyk (South Africa) replacing Gigena (Argentina)
Snyman (South Africa) replacing Enever (Australia)
Van Staden (South Africa) replacing Taufua (NZ)

And you could argue:

Wiese (South Africa) replaced Kalamafoni (Tonga)
Liebenberg (South Afica) replaced O'Connor (NZ) *not really as it's blindside and openside but still a backrow replacement

So it's overseas player replacing overseas player not overseas player replacing English player. We now have 5 South Africans compared to 2 players from New Zealand, one from Argentina, one from Australia and one from Tonga. Unless the overseas player ruling changes next season I don't think it makes any difference does it?

The young lads will still get a look in and many of them are likely to feature regularly (Steward, Martin, JvP, Heyes, Chessum, Henderson) so I really don't see the problem. Is it not better to have competition for places and great impact off the bench or injury/International cover than having a squad that quite frankly isn't up to the task and is scrapping it out at the bottom of the table year after year.

I think if Martin starts playing lock a bit more rather than back row (and let's face it he is listed as a lock on the Tigers website) then he is likely to be a starter come next season alongside Steward. Heyes, JvP, Chessum, Henderson and Whitcombe I think will still get plenty of time off the bench, perhaps starting in the Premiership Cup and some European games and also will be used during the International windows.

No concerns from me. If they are willing to fight for the shirt, put in a solid shift and give the young lads a good example to look up to and emulate then I can't see a problem personally. IMHO of course.
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ads wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:41 pm Think I started that on the signings thread.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm well pleased with the signings and the timings of them. They are all clearly qualify players which is what we need, and I suppose having a few from the same country might be good for moral.

My issue, well not issue, worry I suppose, is that it could get in the way of progress. We have some great up and coming talent and some that are really on the cusp of becoming full first teamers or even internationals.

I really want this raft of new signings be great for the club, but we have to keep giving game time to the young academy lads. The recent rotations have really helped them IMO so we've got to keep up with it.

I don't actually think anyone is being negative about the SA signings just voicing an opinion like mine above. The young lads are the future of Tigers. End of.
On here it's been ok, few more dissenting voices on Facebook and Twitter though...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

When Sarries brought in a lot of SA players they were disparagingly labelled as 'Saffacens'.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

I like the look of some of these signings . Wiese was signed to little fanfare , most of us didn’t know who he was but he’s taken the prem by storm . Van staden will be good , liebenberg has been excellent and hopefully snyman will be great too . Think those three may all know each other as all are similar age and played for the bulls . Youngsters will get game’s especially next season but in my opinion and it’s only an opinion, if the youngsters are good enough they will play if not they won’t , for quite a long time a lot of tigers fans have pinned hopes on the likes of worth , hardwick and olowofela. The truth is if they were good enough they wouldn’t be going out on loan . Not to say they aren’t talented but not every talented youngster makes it to the top level . The likes of jvp steward especially have forced their way in on merit , they’ve taken the chance . Genge Ford Young’s etc forced their way in at a young age because they were top notch . I think Borthwick will pick players on merit which hasn’t always seemed the case at tigers . Genuinely excited to see these African boys play and think they will have a positive impact on our young talented forwards and bring the levels of the whole squad up
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Which South Africans have played for Tigers in the past? I can only think of two, Fritz van Heerden and Joel Stransky. A third! JP Peterson! There must be some more that are beyond my fading memory.
Semper in excretia
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I would be understanding with all this "journey" stuff if it was consistent, some of these signings suggest a bit of trying to jump a couple of junctions on the way.
We already have one obvious case of blocking progression of younger players in the match day squad, it's the worry that there might be more cases of this rather than the personnel themselves.

Do all the South Africans have the same agent?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:27 pm Which South Africans have played for Tigers in the past? I can only think of two, Fritz van Heerden and Joel Stransky. A third! JP Peterson! There must be some more that are beyond my fading memory.
Jaco van der Westhuyzen, Pat Cilliers
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Jean de villiers played once or twice
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Faulks04 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:35 pm Jean de villiers played once or twice
Bet I’m not alone forgetting him !!
Semper in excretia
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

It was forgettable shall we say
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Faulks04 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:35 pm Jean de villiers played once or twice
You could place him in the category: knee jerk signings, there have been quite a few in the last several years.....
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Glenn gelderbloom was another . He was a top bloke . Coached me for a while here and there . Solid player