South African Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: South African Tigers

Post by Traveller »

At what point do supporters have a responsibility to get behind their team and commit. Wholeheartedly. Rather than with a series of caveats. To really support the players that put on the shirt and represent US and as long as they represent us well, and who at this point could say that Leibenberg, Brink, Lavanini, Montoya, Weise, Van Wyk, Moroni, Nadolo, Scot, Taute Murimurivalu, aren’t doing that. They've moved their families here, they're making a commitment to us in our community. Personally, I find this ‘Saffers’ stuff deeply unpleasant. It's not as if we don't have home grown players representing out Great club. Cole, Ford, Youngs, Youngs, Steward, Martin, Chessum, Heyes, JVP, green, Wells, Reffell, to name but a few. All for one and one for all gets you over the line in the last minute of the last game when you're a pint down. Woodward once wrote about energy sappers. Well 'supporters' can sap energy as well. Sorry, opened a very good Chianti at 8pm and getting quite emotional.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I really do think the term World Class needs to be reassessed.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Traveller wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:48 pm At what point do supporters have a responsibility to get behind their team and commit. Wholeheartedly. Rather than with a series of caveats. To really support the players that put on the shirt and represent US and as long as they represent us well, and who at this point could say that Leibenberg, Brink, Lavanini, Montoya, Weise, Van Wyk, Moroni, Nadolo, Scot, Taute Murimurivalu, aren’t doing that. They've moved their families here, they're making a commitment to us in our community. Personally, I find this ‘Saffers’ stuff deeply unpleasant. It's not as if we don't have home grown players representing out Great club. Cole, Ford, Youngs, Youngs, Steward, Martin, Chessum, Heyes, JVP, green, Wells, Reffell, to name but a few. All for one and one for all gets you over the line in the last minute of the last game when you're a pint down. Woodward once wrote about energy sappers. Well 'supporters' can sap energy as well. Sorry, opened a very good Chianti at 8pm and getting quite emotional.
Did you have some fava beans with it? 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:49 pm I really do think the term World Class needs to be reassessed.
Of course you do. Is it light at the end of the tunnel or a train?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:50 pm
Traveller wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:48 pm At what point do supporters have a responsibility to get behind their team and commit. Wholeheartedly. Rather than with a series of caveats. To really support the players that put on the shirt and represent US and as long as they represent us well, and who at this point could say that Leibenberg, Brink, Lavanini, Montoya, Weise, Van Wyk, Moroni, Nadolo, Scot, Taute Murimurivalu, aren’t doing that. They've moved their families here, they're making a commitment to us in our community. Personally, I find this ‘Saffers’ stuff deeply unpleasant. It's not as if we don't have home grown players representing out Great club. Cole, Ford, Youngs, Youngs, Steward, Martin, Chessum, Heyes, JVP, green, Wells, Reffell, to name but a few. All for one and one for all gets you over the line in the last minute of the last game when you're a pint down. Woodward once wrote about energy sappers. Well 'supporters' can sap energy as well. Sorry, opened a very good Chianti at 8pm and getting quite emotional.
Did you have some fava beans with it? 😂
A rather nice slice of Pecorino and some olives. Get's the juices going.
Super User
Super User

Traveller wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:03 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:49 pm I really do think the term World Class needs to be reassessed.
Train.

For how often "World Class" is used in all forms of life these days, virtually everything & everyone is "World Class" making the statement pointless.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:42 pm Must be blind,Van Wyk has been getting better every game .
Haha
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:15 pm
Train.

For how often "World Class" is used in all forms of life these days, virtually everything & everyone is "World Class" making the statement pointless.
To me world class in club rugby means those who do not look out of place on a International (world) scene

Currently we have a number.

Montoya
Ford
Genge
Youngs
Lavannini
Moroni

I also think the likes of Wiese are world class even if they haven't been capped. And we have a number of players in Martin, Steward & JVP which are heading towards World class at a rate of knots.

That is a bit different to world beating where I think you have to be in the top 2 or 3 players in a posotion in thr world at the moment.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

wormus wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:33 pm
ay2oh wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:58 pm Don’t forget Harry Roberts
Yes how could you forget Harry Roberts, I was informed that he spent many years as a "resident" very close to Welford Road in the 80's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Roberts_(criminal)
I think that’s the wrong link you have put there?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I have no issue with any nationality playing for the Tiger as long as it does not negate the progression of young players within the Tigers set-up aspiring to get to the 1st XV and even an England shirt. The plan, according to SB, is to put the Tigers back at the top in all competitions which ain't going to happen over night. So if the non-UK players are committed to making that happen there can be no gripe. Players will come and go but if the non-nationals can provide a good foundation, as happened with Sarries, for the Tigers to build on then so be it.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Super User
Super User

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:16 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:15 pm

Train.

To me world class in club rugby means those who do not look out of place on a International (world) scene

Currently we have a number.

Montoya
Ford
Genge
Youngs
Lavannini
Moroni

I also think the likes of Wiese are world class even if they haven't been capped. And we have a number of players in Martin, Steward & JVP which are heading towards World class at a rate of knots.

That is a bit different to world beating where I think you have to be in the top 2 or 3 players in a posotion in thr world at the moment.
Personally I would class that as International class, world class for Montoya, Aled Waters & Borthwick as a lineout coach.
Wiese needs to prove himself over the rest of this season & into next as do the youngsters, its easier when people don't know who you are.
Of our usual England 3, there is a chance none of them will be on the Lions tour.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Got to agree with WRFC. Just because you play international rugby doens't mean you are world class.

We do have world class players though and potential international class that may lead to world class in the right circumstances.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

For me world class is a player who would walk into any team in the world, not just a player who has a few caps under his belt.
I respect Lavannini a lot but to suggest he is world class is stretching the definition a bit, world class penalty machine may be!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

The following would be I think in most eyes
Waters
Borthwick (as a forwards coach)
Ford- he could play for any team in the world. The hype around the fly half spot in England is so distorted by a lack of options at 12 that really hinders him.

I would say one world class player and the following as international class
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Youngs
Nadolo
Moroni
Brink (controversial perhaps)
Murimurivalu

Potentially international class
Heyes
Martin
Weise
Leibenberg
Reffell
Steward
JVP (only a few games but he looks excellent)

Other first XV players are excellent but perhaps are not going to develop into international class players or are past their prime.
Green
Wells
OTY
Scott
Van Wyke

Van Staden I have never seen play but he appears to be signed with the expectation that he will be international class.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

3 categories for me. International class thats self explanatory,world class that walks into any squad or mixes it with any of the top teams and doesn’t look out of place and then there’s elite that gets into a world XV or just misses out on one.I’ve added that extra one because i do it with boxing too with world class,world champions and then elite fighters who comfortably beat world champions.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer