Gloucester away Sat 13th March

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Gloucester away Sat 13th March

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok, if we want to challenge for the top 6, we need to get an away win under our belt, get back to back victories and build a run, just like the one we have stopped Irish on.

Hanro's suspension is over, so he's eligible, comes straight back in.

Montoya hopefully is back from injury/covid/resting.

Nadolo may be close to returning, but I'd start him on the bench with the length of time he's been out so a gradual return.

I'd continue the rotation of Heyes and Cole, give Heyes the start.

Lavannini I'd rest, he has earnt it, but also we need to learn to live without him.

Murimurivalu played well and Porter struggled with the high ball early on, I want Murimurivalu starting on the wing ideally.

I'd go:

15. Steward
14. Van Wyk (assuming no delayed concussion)
13. Moroni
12. Scott
11. Murimurivalu
10. Henry
9. Wigglesworth
1. De Bruin
2. Montoya
3. Heyes
4. Green
5. Wells
6. Brink
7. Reffell
8. Liebenberg

16. Clare
17. Leatigaga
18. Cole
19. Henderson
20. Chessum
21. JVP
22. McPhillps
23. Nadolo/Porter
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester away Sat 13th March

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Long term I am not convinced with a Green/Wells 2nd row combo, they don't quite work as a pair, they are both play well when paired with Tomas, if the coaches think we have the answer in the squad already play that combo (unless its Martin).
Porter looked like a centre playing wing last night, so swap him & Kini round, Van Wyk looked like he was struggling near the end again.
For me Cole has to start, he just looks more comfortable that way, would like to see Whitcombe get some more game time & this wouldn't be the worst game to give him a start.
White to start at 9, JVP off the bench.
Hanro back in at 6, Chessum deserves his place in the 23.
Presume it was only cramp that Henry was struggling with, if it wasn't selection could become complicated.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:50 am Long term I am not convinced with a Green/Wells 2nd row combo, they don't quite work as a pair, they are both play well when paired with Tomas, if the coaches think we have the answer in the squad already play that combo (unless its Martin).
Porter looked like a centre playing wing last night, so swap him & Kini round, Van Wyk looked like he was struggling near the end again.
For me Cole has to start, he just looks more comfortable that way, would like to see Whitcombe get some more game time & this wouldn't be the worst game to give him a start.
White to start at 9, JVP off the bench.
Hanro back in at 6, Chessum deserves his place in the 23.
Presume it was only cramp that Henry was struggling with, if it wasn't selection could become complicated.....
I actually thought the lock combination worked well in the 2nd half yesterday.

Yeah really hope Henry is fit, otherwise we need a long think about who to play where...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I'd go:

15. Steward
14. Van Wyk (Muri if Van Wyk unavailable)
13. Moroni
12. Scott
11. Nadolo
10. Henry
9. Wigglesworth
1. De Bruin
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Green
5. Lavanini
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Brink

16. Youngs
17. Leatigaga
18. Heyes
19. Chessum
20. Wallace
21. JVP
22. McPhillps
23. Porter/Murimurivalu
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Agree with others in that we need to start getting some points away from home, and imo no better time for this than Gloucester away. Building consecutive wins will be important and whilst Gloucester are at the bottom, they have been improving. They’ll miss Harris and LRZ as it’s not a fallow week so that will help us.

I would almost be tempted to give McPhillips a shot from the start. If he plays in an otherwise settled backline with Henry on the bench to come on later in the game, I don’t think the change would be a massive issue. JMcP has looked sharp when he comes off the bench and I’d like to see him go from the off. Only other potential backline change would be if van Wyk has concussion protocol as has been mentioned.

The pack is a bit trickier. Liebenberg is a cert to come back for me, as is Montoya if fit. If Nadolo is fit enough for the bench I would start Nephi for a big ball carrier straight off. Either Heyes or Cole is good for me, don’t think there is that much between then this season other than experience. The back 5 is the tough one, Chessum deserves another start but with Liebenberg back and Brink and Reffell playing into form the only real slot is at lock (which Chessum can play I believe) so I’d partner him with Green and have Wells on the bench alongside Wallace.

Injuries and unforeseen changes aside, this is what I would go for:

Steward
van Wyk (Simmons or Potter if not fit)
Moroni
Scott
Murimurivalu
McPhillips
Wigglesworth (C)
Brink
Reffell
Liebenberg
Chessum
Green
Heyes/Cole
Montoya
Leatigaga

Youngs
de Bruin
Heyes/Cole
Wells
Wallace
JVP
Henry
Nadolo (Porter if not fit)

I’m no Borthwick so who knows what we will go for but it is pleasing to see more of a settled side throughout games, even when we have made changes there has always been a core of the squad still present. Progress!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Gloucester is a good opportunity to get our first away win in nearly two years!

1. Leatigaga
2. Youngs (c)
3. Cole
4. Green
5. Chessum
6. Brink
7. Reffell
8. Liebenberg
9. White
10. Henry
11. Murimurivalu
12. Scott
13. Moroni
14. van Wyk
15. Steward
16. Montoya
17. Whitecombe
18. Heyes (I mean I don't think he's going to get cited is he?)
19. Wells
20. Wallace
21. JVP
22. McPhilips
23. Nadolo

You could have Brink and Liebenberg play either 6/8, it wouldn't matter as last night Wells was packing down at the rear for defensive scrums. Think Chessum deserves a start actually.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:09 am 18. Heyes (I mean I don't think he's going to get cited is he?)
Would be an absolute joke if he is. Was never a yellow card. Hit the chest and slid up. Penalty only for me but stranger things have happened...
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:15 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:09 am 18. Heyes (I mean I don't think he's going to get cited is he?)
Would be an absolute joke if he is. Was never a yellow card. Hit the chest and slid up. Penalty only for me but stranger things have happened...
Can you get cited if it’s been looked at by the ref/TMO? I thought citing was only if it had been completely missed by the officials?
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

I wouldn’t make many, if any changes from last nights team apart from injury/suspensions now being available

Steward
Van wyk
Moroni
Scott
Muri
Henry
Wigglesworth

De bruin
Montoya
Cole
Lavanini
Green
Liebenberg
Reffell
Brink

Leatigaga
Heyes
Youngs
Wells
Chessum
Jvp
McPhillips
Porter

If nadolo is fit he starts and murimurivalu joins the bench but then if van wyk is injured muri starts for him or Porter if muri is already in because nadolo is injured.
Would be tempted by chessum starting for lavanini especially with him coming on at half time and performing well so there may be a possible injury to lavanini?

I think you start with our most experienced front row and bring heyes/leatigaga of the bench
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rob18C wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:26 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:15 am
Can you get cited if it’s been looked at by the ref/TMO? I thought citing was only if it had been completely missed by the officials?
It can be cited if the citing officer believes it should have been a red card....no case to answer in this instance.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Thought the only genuine yellow last night was JVP, actually if he had left it it probably might of been missing its target.
The ban for the Red will be interesting as it wasn't like some of the others recently, that made Wiese v Wasps look Stephen Hawkings level. .
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:40 am Thought the only genuine yellow last night was JVP, actually if he had left it it probably might of been missing its target.
The ban for the Red will be interesting as it wasn't like some of the others recently, that made Wiese v Wasps look Stephen Hawkings level. .
Thought their yellow in the first half was definitely a card. Yes there were mitigating circumstances i.e. the push and the dip but head contact so yellow for me. Thought the only card that was incorrect was the Heyes yellow
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

Just read that lavanini had an ankle injury hence the half time substitution so would be surprised if he is available for next week

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... dVi5rbED_g
Last edited by Rob18C on Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Brink at 8 and Liebenberg at 6 for me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rob18C wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:42 pm Just read that lavanini had an ankle injury hence the half time substitution so would be surprised if he is available for next week

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... dVi5rbED_g
Just read the Mercury article myself too.

Makes sense to rest him even if he's just about able to play. No point risking him. In Green, Wells & Henderson, we've got some good options, plus Chessum is a lock (though one, like Martin, that SB sees as a 6 to begin with)