Has Rugby Got a Fan Problem?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Has Rugby Got a Fan Problem?

Post by ourla »

Most fans haven't got experience of playing rugby at a high level and yet they slag off coaches and players telling them they should be doing their job better. Many of no idea of the laws or understand how they are interpreted at the elite level.

Fans are going on social media daily being rude, offensive and in some cases threatening.

At matches they turn up half cut, don't watch the game half the time, constantly going to the bar/toilet and then leave before the end, not even clapping the players off the pitch.

I remember in the 1990's when fans just enjoyed the day out, cheered their team on and were respectful to the participants.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Has Rugby Got a Fan Problem?

Post by ay2oh »

ourla wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:01 am Most fans haven't got experience of playing rugby at a high level and yet they slag off coaches and players telling them they should be doing their job better. Many of no idea of the laws or understand how they are interpreted at the elite level.

Fans are going on social media daily being rude, offensive and in some cases threatening.

At matches they turn up half cut, don't watch the game half the time, constantly going to the bar/toilet and then leave before the end, not even clapping the players off the pitch.

I remember in the 1990's when fans just enjoyed the day out, cheered their team on and were respectful to the participants.
The corporate crowd in particular just seem interested in drinking as much as they can as quick as possible. In the Crumbie we often have people up and down the steps blocking the view of the game and being asked to sit down
A2O
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Ourla I agree with many of the things you say but I think your memories of the 90's a little rose tinted. We on the whole were very well behaved at Welford Road but it was not the same at every ground, I had no real problems but there are many who have interesting stories to tell about Gloucester, Sale and Llanelli. As the game went professional and crowds increased standards of behaviour changed it was and is still very much a minority that misbehave but that minority is a little more substantial than it used to be. On the other hand the Heineken Cup has brought fans together, trips to Ospreys and Scarlets are much more pleasant than they used to be and any club in France is a delight even on the rare occasions when we win.
Of course the sale of alcohol throughout the match has an adverse effect on fan movement, in many ways it was better when the bar was shut shortly before kick off and not open till the Bar Volunteers were in place after the final whistle.
The biggest change in fan behaviour and attitudes is down to social media and messageboards such as this where some fans think that they have licence to say just what they like almost to the point of abuse, on this site comments are well moderated but other sites less so and sometimes the comment is out there and seen before being closed.
I have never done " twitter " but I understand it can be far more abusive, personal and threatening than on forums like this.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Like in all walks of life there will always be some idiots who aren’t genuine rugby fans.
Having supported Tigers home and away since the 80s after I stopped playing all competitive sport in my mid twenties due to knee injuries, my wife and I have, on the whole, had many wonderful, untroubled years of supporting Tigers.
I also remember a fight breaking out at one of the finals v Bath: some woeful behaviour at Saracens’ Vicarage Road ground which resulted in some away supporters never going again. At Saints, a few years ago, my mate ( ex tough forward) and I ( ex weedy winger) had to protect one of our more senior fans from some so called Saints’ fans yet until then I’d never seen any trouble at Saints where the fans are mostly excellent. Sale used to be another hostile place but since going to the AJ Bell they’ve been brilliant.I know too that on the Crumbiest some of our fans can be obnoxious.
Best places for fans, in my opinion, undoubtedly, Newcastle and Quins.
These two sets of fans are always welcoming and I stood with all the Newcastle fans on our last away win to stave off relegation: they were a credit to themselves, their club and the sport.
Quins’ fans always give us a great welcome in the restaurants, pubs and they are
very knowledgeable.
London Irish fans at all their grounds are great and for banter then Gloucester fans are second to none.
Never been to Bristol but know fans who support them and they are lovely people.
Only been to one England international as I prefer the atmosphere at club games where you get honest, friendly, genuine rugby fans.
Lastly, in Europe, Munster, Leinster and Stade have been, in our experiences, excellent fans.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Best fans for me are Ulsters,had some incredible nights at WR!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Stradey Park in the 90s set the bar incredibly high for boorish behaviour in the flesh. I'm sure t'was they who begat the urine in the beer glass throwing that caused a short-lived issue at the Millenium. :smt004
Newcastle fans great, Bath pasty boys(next to the players entrance) very welcoming and good fun.
Exeter get a double minus, siblings are STHs plus a guy tried to feel Mrs G's bum in the East stand :smt044
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Abuse and threats via social media are rife across all parts of life, and unfortunately rugby 'fans' are no exception.
This weekend's death threats made to Ellis Genge, and the abuse sent to the BBC reporter are the latest examples.
It's a huge and growing societal problem, and allowing the social media organisations to self-regulate will not work.

The Corporates on the lash is nothing new though.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I too have had some great away trips at Munster, Bath, Toulouse , Treviso etc where the fans have been great. The only places where I was disappointed with opposition fans behaviour was Edinburgh and Gloucester.
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:48 am Best fans for me are Ulsters,had some incredible nights at WR!
Certainly the best away fans I have ever experienced at WR, although Munster's weren't bad either. I have no bad personal experiences of away fans on the Crumbie during the last ten years or so, but I remember the Glasgow supporters being hardly humble back in 2017. However that was a really bad day anyway so maybe the pain of that loss is diluting my memories.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Sorry if I misled anyone.

This was largely a parody on the "Has Rugby Got a Refereeing Problem?" thread which I thought quite laughable really.

I mean of course refereeing should be discussed, scrutinised even but there is so much hyperbole.

And the point really was you could apply many of the same constructs/hyperbole to fans.

Let's not lose sight of what is good in rugby - and by and large that includes the officiating, the players, coaches and staff... and indeed the fans.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

To answer the question - no. There is a problem however with certain sections of society where there is an obvious problem. What I don’t understand is how these people manage to get away with it so often. I’m sure it isn’t beyond the wit of man to track these people down and punish them accordingly.

The abuse directed to Sonja McLaughlan and Ellis Genge are just the most recent examples. However, it isn’t specifically a rugby problem in my opinion.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Possibly the question ought to be "Do we have a problem with Social Media"
Fans are a cross section of society and as we know the minority always spoil it for the silent majority.
Bobmac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Bobmac »

I think the problem with Social Media is that the Pandemic with lockdown and restrictions have made the kids of the world bored and this is there only outlet.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bobmac wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:02 pm I think the problem with Social Media is that the Pandemic with lockdown and restrictions have made the kids of the world bored and this is there only outlet.
It's not just the Kids.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Social media has given all the morons a voice and rugby has more than their fair share. I much prefer the face-to-face debates in the clubhouse so when someone over steps the line and become abusive they either apologise or get a fat lip. Love a keyboard warrior! :smt005