Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Suspensions

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Better than expected.

Wiese suspended for 4 weeks and is free to play again on March 23.
Liebenberg misses 2 weeks and is free to play again on March 9.

Next fixtures:

Bristol (A) 27 Feb 21
Irish (H) 05 Mar 21
Glos (A)13 Mar 21
Exeter (A) 20 Mar 21

Independent panel statement:

"Jasper Wiese accepted that he had committed the offence of dangerous play in a ruck or maul, contrary to law 9.20a by making contact with the head of a Wasps player. The Wasps player had a head injury assessment and was fit to return to play in the match, and subsequent investigations have shown no injury. As this was an act of foul play which resulted in contact with the head, at least a mid-range entry point was required by RFU Regulation 19. It was determined that this was a mid-range entry point which was 6 weeks. It was common ground that there were no aggravating factors.

“The mitigation available to the player was reduced to 33 per cent because of two previous relevant disciplinary matters. This meant that the sanction was a suspension of 4 weeks. The player is suspended until 22 March and will be free to play from 23 March 2021."

"Hanro Liebenberg accepted that he had committed the offence of tackling the jumper in the air, contrary to law 9.17 when he had come into contact with a Wasps player who was in the air. When falling to the ground, the Wasps player managed to place his hands above his head to avoid injury when landing and continued to play and remains fit to play. This was determined to be a low-end entry point which is 4 weeks. Full mitigation of 50 per cent was applied. This resulted in a sanction of 2 weeks. The player is suspended until 8 March and will be free to play on 9 March 2021."
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Suspensions

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Weise is lucky, Hanro the opposite, but it could of been worse in both cases.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:09 pm Weise is lucky, Hanro the opposite, but it could of been worse in both cases.
Yep all things considered I think that's a good outcome for us
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:09 pm Weise is lucky, Hanro the opposite, but it could of been worse in both cases.
Tbf unless Hanro went with a innocent plea, 2 weeks was the best he'd get.

Low end taking someone in the air has an entry point sanction of 4 weeks, 50% reduction is the maximum they can apply, so only way he gets less is argue that he's not guilty and risk harsher sanction.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Super User
Super User

Hanro was guilty of not seeing someone in the last minute of the game having played 50mins a man down, it would be beneficial for the game if it opened up a discussion at "Rules/Law level" about the "Aerial" part of the game, you can also include May's try v Italy in that debate, I was disappointed BT didn't ask Nigel about that after he had discussed the other Red Cards last weekend.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Discussed that today in Exeter with Chiefs sibs. Consensus was "he wasn't at fault" leading to a discussion about jumping into someone. The main topic was, of course, Simmonds.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

What did Brookes get? Wiese and Berg going to be missed hugely.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

baz1664 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:57 pm What did Brookes get? Wiese and Berg going to be missed hugely.
Brookes got 3 weeks
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The best we could've hoped for really so not too bad.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Super User
Super User

ay2oh wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:10 pm
baz1664 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:57 pm What did Brookes get? Wiese and Berg going to be missed hugely.
Brookes got 3 weeks
Bet Wasps were hoping for longer. :smt005
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.englandrugby.com/governance ... -decisions

Just been reading the decisions on Wiese and Liebenberg.

Wiese is even luckier than I thought to be eligible again after 4 weeks....

Turns out he'd fractured his finger and therefore possibly going to be missing due to injury, but the medical evidence suggests that some people "may" be able to play on withthe injuryand Jasper managed to take part in training on Monday so the committee were happy that despite the swelling etc he would have been eligible for selection this weekend. Otherwise the ban could have been postponed till he recovered from the fracture.

He's tough as nails that's for sure!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Both have performed exceptionally well for us this season , and both will be missed.Length of suspensions justifiable , hopefully we can take any lessons on board.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 pm https://www.englandrugby.com/governance ... -decisions

Turns out he'd fractured his finger and therefore possibly going to be missing due to injury, but the medical evidence suggests that some people "may" be able to play on withthe injuryand Jasper managed to take part in training on Monday so the committee were happy that despite the swelling etc he would have been eligible for selection this weekend. Otherwise the ban could have been postponed till he recovered from the fracture.

To be fair he probably would have played, if not this week next. I recall seeing a few players with heavily strapped fingers.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:10 am To be fair he probably would have played, if not this week next. I recall seeing a few players with heavily strapped fingers.
True but that's also different from training a couple of days after to prove he's fit for selection. Whichever way you look at it he's showing a massive desire to play for us as soon as he can which is a great thing
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 pm https://www.englandrugby.com/governance ... -decisions

He's definitely tough as nails. I'm not a medical expert but I'd assume that it would depend on the type of fracture as to whether that would effect his fitness and availability. Also training on Monday was probably the lightest session of the week so a fractured finger might not have held him back too much there.