BRISTOL vs TIGERS - Sat 27 Feb 21 (1300)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: BRISTOL vs TIGERS - Sat 27 Feb 21 (1300)

Post by kk20gb30 »

.. once completed ,the half way point of the season..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I don't think copying the Exiles will work this time round, Lam will have adapted if he can but he is somewhat restricted by injury and unavailability.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Bedlow has been cited in addition to the other 5 red cards, so Bristol may well be missing him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:00 pm Bedlow has been cited in addition to the other 5 red cards, so Bristol may well be missing him.
Thought he would be. Might help even out the absentees a little
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bristol will probably have to go for a backline then of Uren, Lloyd, Naulago, Leiua, O'Conor, Morahan and Piutau. Leiua can play 12 but is much more suited on the wings.

Despite last weekend's superb performance, I still yet find myself reluctant to call for a Tigers victory. However put it this way, I don't think we'll be seeing a repeat of the 18/19 or 19/20 affairs.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Bristol Unavailable players for the Irish match: Bryan Byrne, Harry Thacker, Kyle Sinckler, Max Lahiff, Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, Joe Joyce, Ben Earl, James Dun, Nathan Hughes, , Harry Randall, Chris Cook, Max Malins, Semi Radradra, Siale Piutau, Henry Purdy.

Potentially add in Callum Sheedy who is likely to return to the Wales squad and Sam Bedlow who may be suspended.

Not sure if any of these will be returning but they are missing a huge number of players.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

PM76 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:17 am Based on selection vs. Quins I wonder if we may see a few more players "rested" or "rotated" this week?

I would certainly be in favour of seeing 3 or 4 players miss one game rather than 15 changes and a drubbing. Presuming Wigglesworth and Wiese missed the game vs. Quins due to "rotation" rather than short-term injuries then perhaps Steward, Moroni, Scott and Henry could miss out this week. If that is SB's plan, then I certainly prefer it to the "15 changes and get battered by 40 points" approach we have seen in the past. I don't mention any of the front rowers or Lavanini for rotation as they are often playing only 45-50 mins per week but I would like to see some further rotation with the starting front row. This would allow for the strongest available XV to play vs. Irish (H) and Gloucester (A) which are two games we really need to target.

My side would be:

Leatigaga, Youngs, Cole
Lavanini, Green
Wells, Brink, Reffell
Wigglesworth, Bonilla
Kelly, Taute
Porter/ Potter, Murimurivalu, Van Wyk

Montoya, De Bruin, Heyes, Henderson, Wallace, JVP, McPhillips, Porter/ Potter
My bold. I thought that this period of time and what happened in it had been consigned to the dustbin of history due to the completely unique circumstances. There was no fear of relegation, it generally happened when we were playing 3 games in 9 or so days and was just after SB had arrived. He was giving 'everyone' a few outings to give them a chance to show what they could do and him a chance to see everyone play. We weren't the only ones to do it either. It was just as the 5 'unhappy' players left and when we had new players arriving in fits and starts. With the more 'normal' situation this season, rotation has generally been limited to no more than a handful of players.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:06 pm
PM76 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:17 am Based on selection vs. Quins I wonder if we may see a few more players "rested" or "rotated" this week?

I would certainly be in favour of seeing 3 or 4 players miss one game rather than 15 changes and a drubbing. Presuming Wigglesworth and Wiese missed the game vs. Quins due to "rotation" rather than short-term injuries then perhaps Steward, Moroni, Scott and Henry could miss out this week. If that is SB's plan, then I certainly prefer it to the "15 changes and get battered by 40 points" approach we have seen in the past. I don't mention any of the front rowers or Lavanini for rotation as they are often playing only 45-50 mins per week but I would like to see some further rotation with the starting front row. This would allow for the strongest available XV to play vs. Irish (H) and Gloucester (A) which are two games we really need to target.

My side would be:

Leatigaga, Youngs, Cole
Lavanini, Green
Wells, Brink, Reffell
Wigglesworth, Bonilla
Kelly, Taute

My bold. I thought that this period of time and what happened in it had been consigned to the dustbin of history due to the completely unique circumstances. There was no fear of relegation, it generally happened when we were playing 3 games in 9 or so days and was just after SB had arrived. He was giving 'everyone' a few outings to give them a chance to show what they could do and him a chance to see everyone play. We weren't the only ones to do it either. It was just as the 5 'unhappy' players left and when we had new players arriving in fits and starts. With the more 'normal' situation this season, rotation has generally been limited to no more than a handful of players.
Complete unique circumstances indeed, but lessons can still be learnt from it. I appreciate SB's method but I think a happier equilibrium could have been found between looking at players and not being on the receiving end of drubbings.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I really hope SB puts out a balanced competitive side rather than the more weakened and less experienced 23s that he did at the end of last season for a number of reasons. 1. Momentum, morale and winning mentality for one! 2. It’s not great for us as supporters to see 3. It’s tougher and harder on the players who come into a weakened and unsettled core of an all round match day squad to impress or excel....I hope for a “softer” rotation of players in key areas but suspect it will be a large squad overhaul ...It’s not an easy job to get right I’m sure but rather than “feast or famine” I would prefer to “eat sufficiently” every week...I hope to be proven wrong
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

KiwiTig wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:33 am I really hope SB puts out a balanced competitive side rather than the more weakened and less experienced 23s that he did at the end of last season for a number of reasons. 1. Momentum, morale and winning mentality for one! 2. It’s not great for us as supporters to see 3. It’s tougher and harder on the players who come into a weakened and unsettled core of an all round match day squad to impress or excel....I hope for a “softer” rotation of players in key areas but suspect it will be a large squad overhaul ...It’s not an easy job to get right I’m sure but rather than “feast or famine” I would prefer to “eat sufficiently” every week...I hope to be proven wrong
Last season we were in a situation where there were midweek games, you basically would struggle to get through it without 30 different players per week, the only choice was do a 1st XV and 2nd XV or do two split XV's, most of the clubs who split really struggled.

Even with some rotation we will put out a strong team.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Oh I definitely hope I’m wrong !
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

PM76 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:32 am
Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:06 pm

My side would be:

Leatigaga, Youngs, Cole
Lavanini, Green
Wells, Brink, Reffell
Wigglesworth, Bonilla
Kelly, Taute

Complete unique circumstances indeed, but lessons can still be learnt from it. I appreciate SB's method but I think a happier equilibrium could have been found between looking at players and not being on the receiving end of drubbings.
I agree with you, but hey-ho, hopefully the situation will never remotely arise again so...
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

KiwiTig wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:45 am Oh I definitely hope I’m wrong !
Based on what has happened in the 9(?) Premiership games that we have actually played this season (my memory is terrible at times), I'm pretty confident that you will be :smt023
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Borthwick is saying he saw Nadolo back running in training today.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Post by OakhamTiger32 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 pm

Bristol Unavailable players for the Irish match: Bryan Byrne, Harry Thacker, Kyle Sinckler, Max Lahiff, Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, Joe Joyce, Ben Earl, James Dun, Nathan Hughes, , Harry Randall, Chris Cook, Max Malins, Semi Radradra, Siale Piutau, Henry Purdy.

Quite a few of those players are likely to be available this week.
No matter what the Bristol team no one will expect anything other than a Bristol win.
A good chance for Tigers to show the squad is going to be a force to be reckoned with.