Super Rugby 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Super Rugby 2021

Post by Scott1 »

tjs10inOz wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:37 pm I'm really not a fan of the Finals play-offs that are being proposed for Super Rugby Pacific.

Quarter finals: 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5

Semis: highest ranked QF winner v lowest ranked QF winner & 2nd highest ranked v 3rd highest ranked.

Final: Highest ranked Semi finalist at home to lowest ranked.

Not a fan of the sudden death nature when it includes 2/3rds of the teams in the whole comp!

Essentially you could go the whole season undefeated but then lose to the 8th placed side and you are out of the comp.
This has always been the set up in any competition I can think of,in other sports too. If you've finished top in a league that has playoffs then you deserve to the play the lowest ranked team. What would you suggest,1st v 2nd? I do agree that 8 teams is too much,they could perhaps do something along the lines of the Top 14 playoffs,something like that. But I fully agree with the seeding system.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Speaking of SR,does anyone know if SKY/BT/Premier Sports etc have acquired any TV rights?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:22 pm Speaking of SR,does anyone know if SKY/BT/Premier Sports etc have acquired any TV rights?
It’s probably a bit early right now.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:54 pm
tjs10inOz wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:37 pm I'm really not a fan of the Finals play-offs that are being proposed for Super Rugby Pacific.

Semis: highest ranked QF winner v lowest ranked QF winner & 2nd highest ranked v 3rd highest ranked.

Not a fan of the sudden death nature when it includes 2/3rds of the teams in the whole comp!

Essentially you could go the whole season undefeated but then lose to the 8th placed side and you are out of the comp.
This has always been the set up in any competition I can think of,in other sports too. If you've finished top in a league that has playoffs then you deserve to the play the lowest ranked team. What would you suggest,1st v 2nd? I do agree that 8 teams is too much,they could perhaps do something along the lines of the Top 14 playoffs,something like that. But I fully agree with the seeding system.
If you're going to have a play off then yes, a seeding system is a must, but not involving the top 8 of a 12 team comp!

I still remember the one year they tried to include the top 8 in the English rugby premiership, and Tigers (1st) lost to Bristol (8th) in the QFs. Thankfully they had decided NOT to award the title to the winner of the playoffs that year, and rebranded it as the end of season "Zurich Championship".

Incidentally, plenty of sports have playoffs that aren't sudden death knock outs, and are instead weighted to favour the table toppers.

Rugby League's Superleague and NRL, as well as Australia's AFL are three well known examples.
Superleague DOES actually have 1st v 2nd, with the winner getting direct passage to the final and the lower getting a second chance later in the playoffs.

And also, the Premiership playoff has NOT always been as it is now. Initially the table topper went straight to the final & 2nd played 3rd for the right to meet them in the final.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

tjs10inOz wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:04 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:54 pm

If you're going to have a play off then yes, a seeding system is a must, but not involving the top 8 of a 12 team comp!

I still remember the one year they tried to include the top 8 in the English rugby premiership, and Tigers (1st) lost to Bristol (8th) in the QFs. Thankfully they had decided NOT to award the title to the winner of the playoffs that year, and rebranded it as the end of season "Zurich Championship".

Incidentally, plenty of sports have playoffs that aren't sudden death knock outs, and are instead weighted to favour the table toppers.

Rugby League's Superleague and NRL, as well as Australia's AFL are three well known examples.
Superleague DOES actually have 1st v 2nd, with the winner getting direct passage to the final and the lower getting a second chance later in the playoffs.

And also, the Premiership playoff has NOT always been as it is now. Initially the table topper went straight to the final & 2nd played 3rd for the right to meet them in the final.
Rugby leagues play off system
Is an absolute farce mate,at both ends of the table. You give some good examples while I threw a blanket over it tbf but I stand by my statement that the table toppers should be rewarded ,in football tournaments that's the case too.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:40 pm Rugby leagues play off system
Is an absolute farce mate,at both ends of the table. You give some good examples while I threw a blanket over it tbf but I stand by my statement that the table toppers should be rewarded ,in football tournaments that's the case too.
And I agree that table-toppers should be rewarded. I actually dislike play-offs in any competition where there is a full H/A fixture list being played.
I just feel that the table-toppers deserve more of a reward (such as a second-chance, or a first-week bye) than just home advantage against the team that finished 8th.

Even a Finals series involving the top 4 would be more sensible than the top 8, but if that were to happen in SR-Pacific, all 4 finalists would be Kiwi...and that doesn't work for the broadcasters or sponsors, so they've come up with this ludicrous version instead.

Remember the 2001/02 Zurich Premiership season?
Tigers were rightly crowned Champions, for finishing top of the table (14 points clear of 2nd placed Sale), in the last year the table-toppers automatically won the title.
That year there was also a play-off between the top 8 for the Zurich Championship.

Bristol, who finished in 8th place & 33 points behind Leicester & only 22 points above relegation, beat us 27-13 in the QFs, beat 5th place Saints in the Semi, and nearly won the trophy but narrowly lost in the final thanks to Mercier's boot. If Premier Rugby had adopted the same model as SR-P is doing, Bristol could have been in with a shout of winning the Premiership
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

tjs10inOz wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:48 am
Scott1 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:40 pm Rugby leagues play off system
And I agree that table-toppers should be rewarded. I actually dislike play-offs in any competition where there is a full H/A fixture list being played.
I just feel that the table-toppers deserve more of a reward (such as a second-chance, or a first-week bye) than just home advantage against the team that finished 8th.

Even a Finals series involving the top 4 would be more sensible than the top 8, but if that were to happen in SR-Pacific, all 4 finalists would be Kiwi...and that doesn't work for the broadcasters or sponsors, so they've come up with this ludicrous version instead.

Remember the 2001/02 Zurich Premiership season?
Tigers were rightly crowned Champions, for finishing top of the table (14 points clear of 2nd placed Sale), in the last year the table-toppers automatically won the title.
That year there was also a play-off between the top 8 for the Zurich Championship.

Bristol, who finished in 8th place & 33 points behind Leicester & only 22 points above relegation, beat us 27-13 in the QFs, beat 5th place Saints in the Semi, and nearly won the trophy but narrowly lost in the final thanks to Mercier's boot. If Premier Rugby had adopted the same model as SR-P is doing, Bristol could have been in with a shout of winning the Premiership
I struggle to remember that far back but will look it up. Thanks!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Fijian Drua Australian based for 2022 :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fijian-d ... y-pacific/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Fijian Drua announce first five players for their inaugural Super Rugby campaign :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/ar ... eason.html
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Mick Byrne named as Head Coach for Fijian Drua :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/ar ... eason.html
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Fijian Drua announce five more players :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fijian-d ... fic-squad/
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Moana Pasifika home venue now known :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/moana-pa ... ntil-2028/
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Chiefs accommodate Gatland with coaching re-structure :

https://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id ... rugby-role
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

In the pipeline for a while , now official .Aaron Mauger named Head Coach at Moana Pasifika :

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... coach-role
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Fijian Drua name six more signings :

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pac ... e-signings