Super Rugby 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Super Rugby 2021

Post by Cardiff Tig »

tjs10inOz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:21 am If the Tour is moved, I can't see the provincial games being against SA franchises, as they wouldn't all get the clearance to come over & quarantine for 14 days beforehand.

The wider SA Test squad could easily do so (and if it happens, all 3 tests will be Lions vs SA. There is no likelihood of any tests being Lions vs Aus), but why would you send Stormers to Australia to spend 14 days in a hotel to then play a midweek game against a tourist Lions side? Surely it is far more sensible to use the existing local pro sides that are already here as opposition? All of the profit from any games would still go back to SARU, regardless of who the opposition is, and avoiding the costs of 14 days mandatory quarantine for 5 provincial teams & support staff would obviously mean that profit pot would be much higher, even before you consider the need to select the individual travelling squads WEEKS before the game even takes place!
I really don't understand why they don't just play a full Australian tour including the test side, and move the SA tour to 2025. I understand that there will be other test matches scheduled but so much has been cancelled/rearranged/changed this season that it doesn't make much sense to try and force a series with SA that has numerous issues.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:45 am
tjs10inOz wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:21 am If the Tour is moved, I can't see the provincial games being against SA franchises, as they wouldn't all get the clearance to come over & quarantine for 14 days beforehand.

The wider SA Test squad could easily do so (and if it happens, all 3 tests will be Lions vs SA. There is no likelihood of any tests being Lions vs Aus), but why would you send Stormers to Australia to spend 14 days in a hotel to then play a midweek game against a tourist Lions side? Surely it is far more sensible to use the existing local pro sides that are already here as opposition? All of the profit from any games would still go back to SARU, regardless of who the opposition is, and avoiding the costs of 14 days mandatory quarantine for 5 provincial teams & support staff would obviously mean that profit pot would be much higher, even before you consider the need to select the individual travelling squads WEEKS before the game even takes place!
I really don't understand why they don't just play a full Australian tour including the test side, and move the SA tour to 2025. I understand that there will be other test matches scheduled but so much has been cancelled/rearranged/changed this season that it doesn't make much sense to try and force a series with SA that has numerous issues.
100% agree give SA the other tour, make this a tour of Aus
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:45 amI really don't understand why they don't just play a full Australian tour including the test side, and move the SA tour to 2025. I understand that there will be other test matches scheduled but so much has been cancelled/rearranged/changed this season that it doesn't make much sense to try and force a series with SA that has numerous issues.
Because the SH unions rely heavily on inbound tourism to generate revenue. With no inbound supporters possible, Australia wouldn't swap their financially favourable 2025 tour window for a lesser 2021 opportunity.

Plus, they already have France coming in June/July to play the Wallabies (likely to still go ahead according to reports) so would be unlikely to want two inbound tours vs Wallabies around the same time.

Housing the 2021 Lions v SA tour would be a cost-covering exercise for Australia, with excess revenue shared between Lions and SA as if the tour was still in SA. The benefits for Australia would be global publicity, and also potentially garnering favourable support for their World Cup bid.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Super Rugby Aotearoa is now going to be live-streamed by Rugby Pass in the UK where fans can purchase weekend or season long passes.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rugbypas ... ia-and-me/
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Quick Round up on Super Rugby Aotearoa this week as the Kiwi competition kicked off on Friday:
  • Meanwhile, the Blues (who I have been supporting since Aotearoa 2020) achieved an impressive away victory against the Hurricanes in Wellington - https://youtu.be/6XmucgoHO6Y
Got to say that the whoever wins Aotearoa 2021 will be between the Blues and the Crusaders again this year in my opinion...
Last edited by JP14 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mauger left the Highlanders last year.
Cape Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Cape Tiger »

Zero enthusiasm for Lions v Boks being moved to Oz in South Africa, or being moved to the UK, particularly as currently COVID infections/deaths etc are per capita lower in SA than the UK despite no strict lockdown measures or extensive vaccinations.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:35 am Mauger left the Highlanders last year.
My bad.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Just seen the score in the Brumbies Waratahs game... wouldn’t want to be a NSW fan right now... 61:10 to the Brumbies!
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:54 am Just seen the score in the Brumbies Waratahs game... wouldn’t want to be a NSW fan right now... 61:10 to the Brumbies!
Brumbies will finish bottom this year. They have a developing squad because of a number of key departures since last year.
One young talent they have is Carlo Tizzano (who joined them in 2020 from Western Force), stepping in to Michael Hooper's shoes. This won't be the last heavy loss that the NSW side receive this season. Super Rugby TransTasman will be especially tough on the Tahs I suspect...assuming it even goes ahead with lockdowns etc.

I think Force should get their first win of Super Rugby AU next week when they travel to Parramatta.
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

tjs10inOz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:32 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:54 am Just seen the score in the Brumbies Waratahs game... wouldn’t want to be a NSW fan right now... 61:10 to the Brumbies!
Brumbies will finish bottom this year. They have a developing squad because of a number of key departures since last year.
One young talent they have is Carlo Tizzano (who joined them in 2020 from Western Force), stepping in to Michael Hooper's shoes. This won't be the last heavy loss that the NSW side receive this season. Super Rugby TransTasman will be especially tough on the Tahs I suspect...assuming it even goes ahead with lockdowns etc.

I think Force should get their first win of Super Rugby AU next week when they travel to Parramatta.
Did you mean the Waratahs finishing bottom not the Brumbies?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:47 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:35 am Mauger left the Highlanders last year.
My bad.
No worries :smt023 . Was the only reason I supported them in the same comp last year.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:37 pm
tjs10inOz wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:32 pm

Did you mean the Waratahs finishing bottom not the Brumbies?
Doh, yes!

Tahs to finish bottom. Brumbies to top the ladder and win the GF.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api/v1 ... ssion=true

Really interesting article on NSW's troubles recently
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.