Super Rugby 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Super Rugby 2021

Post by JP14 »

Thanks for sharing, interesting article. Sounds like behind the scenes the Tahs are in a right old mess.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

JP14 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:26 am Thanks for sharing, interesting article. Sounds like behind the scenes the Tahs are in a right old mess.
Part of the problem with the Waratahs is the disconnect between the Sydney rugby community and the professional franchise.

Whereas in some other states, there is a stronger pathway from amateur teams, through the elite state comp to the Super Franchise (either as a player pathway or even just a supporter connection), that doesn't really exist in NSW from what I can see.

Most Sydney rugby fans appear to care far more about the Shute Shield competition than the Tahs, and not just because of their recent poor form. With that disconnect, there just isn't the passion that could be there, and the franchisr is dying both on and off the field.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tahs just lost to the Force at home.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

JP14 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:35 pm Tahs just lost to the Force at home.
I know, I left work early to watch it (on TV) live!

Force nearly lost it, rather than Tahs nearly winning it, as they had most of the possession but Force just kept making silly mistakes or couldn't complete a string of good phases.

However, that monkey is off their backs now, with their first Super Rugby victory in over 1000 days (admittedly they were booted out of the comp for most of that time!)

Onwards & upwards to next weekend when Force are back in Perth to face Melbourne Rebels.

Prediction for tonight's game: Brumbies to beat Rebels by 30-18.
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

https://youtu.be/XhIJ27665yA

A nip-and-tuck affair, with an absolute beauty of a penalty conversion from the replacement scrum half getting the win for the Brumbies!
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

JP14 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:15 pm https://youtu.be/XhIJ27665yA

A nip-and-tuck affair, with an absolute beauty of a penalty conversion from the replacement scrum half getting the win for the Brumbies!

Rebels could have won but they threw away their best try opportunity all game, in the corner with a couple of minutes to go.

That's 2 games from 2 this year that Rebels have lost due to penalties after the siren: One that they missed last week, and one that they conceded today.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Super Rugby AU available for free online in the UK via World Rugby website:

https://www.world.rugby/news/622772
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Super Rugby AU Round 4 Results:
  • The Melbourne Rebels just about held onto victory away to the Western Force
  • In a high-scoring encounter, a last minute converted try from Jordan Petaia gave Brad Thorn's Reds a massive victory over fellow title-favourites the Brumbies
Super Rugby Aotearoa Round 3 Results:
  • A simply unbelievable finish from Leicester Fainga'anuku was the highlight as Crusaders add to the Chiefs ongoing woes as their record run of defeats extends
  • On the day that the local lockdown in Auckland was lifted, the Blues comfortably beat the Highlanders in a bonus-point win
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:18 am Super Rugby AU Round 4 Results:
  • The Melbourne Rebels just about held onto victory away to the Western Force
  • In a high-scoring encounter, a last minute converted try from Jordan Petaia gave Brad Thorn's Reds a massive victory over fellow title-favourites the Brumbies
Super Rugby Aotearoa Round 3 Results:
  • A simply unbelievable finish from Leicester Fainga'anuku was the highlight as Crusaders add to the Chiefs ongoing woes as their record run of defeats extends
  • On the day that the local lockdown in Auckland was lifted, the Blues comfortably beat the Highlanders in a bonus-point win
Sounds like some good matches - with the name alone... surely Leicester Fainga’anuku might be tempted to WR at some stage in his career?!!

Looks like a two horse race in Aotearoa between the Blues and ‘Saders
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bryce Heem (formerly of Worcester, liked to score tries against us) to make his debut for the Blues against the Crusaders this weekend.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Super Rugby Aotearoa Round 4 Results:
  • The Chiefs fight back to upset the Hurricanes at home to end their losing draught, winning 29-35
  • Meanwhile in a much anticipated fixture, Crusaders have given their title hopes the edge after beating the Blues at Eden Park 27-43
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It was the Jordie Barrett show as the fullback scored all of the Hurricanes’ 30 points in today’s fixture against the Highlanders.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Jordan Olowofela did indeed make his debut for the Force today by coming off the bench: https://twitter.com/westernforce/status ... 48833?s=21
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Chiefs have now won two on the bounce whereas conversely the Blues have lost two on the trot as a controversially awarded Damian McKenzie try in the 79th minute steals a win for the Chiefs in Hamilton 15-12.

A rule being trialled in Aotearoa at the moment that I would certainly like to see deployed in the game as a whole is the captain’s referral.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Super Rugby highlights about to start on S4C channel 134 free on SKY. Not sure about English commentary
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer