Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Super Rugby 2021

Post by JP14 »

As requested a thread on all things Super Rugby AU and Aotearoa:

Aotearoa doesn’t kick off until next week so it was just the Aussies this week with both matches being played out yesterday (Friday).

Firstly Brad Thorn’s Queensland Reds came out of the blocks with an impressive 34-7 victory over the Waratahs at home, the shockingly blatant forward passes aside the Reds looked really really good and the Tahs didn’t help themselves with a red card. https://youtu.be/xALY64YUcPI

Then the Brumbies managed an away victory over the Western Force in Perth, the scoreline 27-11. https://youtu.be/WAP4oqplNyw
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Super Rugby 2021

Post by JP14 »

Also here’s a useful link outlining the different law variations and trials going on at the minute in the New Zealand tournament: https://www.superrugby.co.nz/news/goal- ... y-aotearoa
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

And one on the different law changes trialled in Super Rugby AU: https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2021/02/0 ... -variation
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Thanks JP14!

Great for Thorn to be getting some good performances from the Reds! Thought they looked good last season, hope that continues!

Interesting to see the new laws trialled and implemented. Could be quite confusing!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:52 pm Thanks JP14!

Great for Thorn to be getting some good performances from the Reds! Thought they looked good last season, hope that continues!

Interesting to see the new laws trialled and implemented. Could be quite confusing!
No problem!! I like the idea of captain referrals.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:56 pm

The 20min red card and replacement could be useful...!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:57 pm

That’s one I don’t like to be honest.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:59 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:57 pm

That’s one I don’t like to be honest.
Agree it sets the wrong precedent completely for foul play.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

It's been a loooong wait for the chance to see live Super Rugby in Perth but, even though Western Force lost on Friday night, I was grateful to be able to watch the team run out and compete against the reigning champions.

OK, we haven't been devoid of live professional rugby in Western Australia since then, but this was the first genuinely competitive pro club game in a number of years.

Force won't win the SR-Au title this year, but they won't finish bottom either. I think 3rd is highly achievable if they can get their 9/10 partnership sorted early.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

No deal with Sky on this so we won’t see any of it in the UK ?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

tjs10inOz wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:33 am It's been a loooong wait for the chance to see live Super Rugby in Perth but, even though Western Force lost on Friday night, I was grateful to be able to watch the team run out and compete against the reigning champions.

OK, we haven't been devoid of live professional rugby in Western Australia since then, but this was the first genuinely competitive pro club game in a number of years.

Force won't win the SR-Au title this year, but they won't finish bottom either. I think 3rd is highly achievable if they can get their 9/10 partnership sorted early.
Any chance you could sneak me into Australia? :smt026
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Sorry, it's hard enough for Aus citizens to get in at the moment!

I'm still hoping the 2021 Lions tour gets moved to Aus as then I would get to watch a tour game vs Force, and likely 2 tests, but I doubt it will happen.

Sky lost access to SR-AU, SR-NZ and SR-TT in the UK because fellow NewsCorp entity Foxtel lost the main broadcast rights in Australia. For the first time since Super Rugby started, rights moved away from NewsCorp and were acquired by Nine Media, with one free-to-air game per week with the other one streamed live on their sister channel, Stan Sports.
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

tjs10inOz wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:19 pm Sorry, it's hard enough for Aus citizens to get in at the moment!

I'm still hoping the 2021 Lions tour gets moved to Aus as then I would get to watch a tour game vs Force, and likely 2 tests, but I doubt it will happen.

Sky lost access to SR-AU, SR-NZ and SR-TT in the UK because fellow NewsCorp entity Foxtel lost the main broadcast rights in Australia. For the first time since Super Rugby started, rights moved away from NewsCorp and were acquired by Nine Media, with one free-to-air game per week with the other one streamed live on their sister channel, Stan Sports.
And rightly so!

I think the Lions getting moved to Australia is likely, but I think the preferred option is to play South African sides and the Boks in down under rather playing an “Australian tour” per say.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

If the Tour is moved, I can't see the provincial games being against SA franchises, as they wouldn't all get the clearance to come over & quarantine for 14 days beforehand.

The wider SA Test squad could easily do so (and if it happens, all 3 tests will be Lions vs SA. There is no likelihood of any tests being Lions vs Aus), but why would you send Stormers to Australia to spend 14 days in a hotel to then play a midweek game against a tourist Lions side? Surely it is far more sensible to use the existing local pro sides that are already here as opposition? All of the profit from any games would still go back to SARU, regardless of who the opposition is, and avoiding the costs of 14 days mandatory quarantine for 5 provincial teams & support staff would obviously mean that profit pot would be much higher, even before you consider the need to select the individual travelling squads WEEKS before the game even takes place!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

In that case you probably are right but we'll see.