20th Feb 2021 - Home vs Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

20th Feb 2021 - Home vs Wasps

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Right so last night wasn't a great result even though we competed well and IMO deserved a couple of bonus points.

How go selection wise.

I'd bring back (if fit) Wiese, Van Wyk & Nadolo.

I think I'd give Taute a start at 12, not 13.

I'd also look to try out Bonilla again and therefore ask Moroni to be rotate. Team I'd pick

So also depending on Porter and Potter's fitness

Steward
Van Wyk/Potter/Simmons
Porter/Kelly
Taute
Nadolo/Murimurivalu
Bonilla
JVP

De Bruin
Montoya
Cole
Lavannini
Martin
Liebenberg
Brink
Wiese

Youngs
Leatigaga
Heyes
Green
Reffell
Wigglesworth
Henry
Scott
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: 20th Feb Home vs Wasps

Post by drc_007 »

I'd prefer too have Reffell on the pitch from the start.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:38 am I'd prefer too have Reffell on the pitch from the start.
+1
A balanced back row is essential.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Agree on Reffell needing to start.

I'd also keep Murimurivalu starting on one wing regardless of if Nadolo is fit. I thought he was excellent. His carrying of 9 reminded me of Goneva at times. He runs fantastic lines with pace and power. If Nadolo is fit then Murimurivalu can take the right wing berth instead with Nadolo returning on the left.

Lavanini, Montoya and Moroni started together against Worcester so one of them is exempt from the foreign player rules, presumably due to European citizenship, perhaps Italian.

For the most part I've praised Lavanini at Tigers more than most fans. He's often added what we brought him in for by being brutal in fringe defence and stopping runners from 9 dead in their tracks, which when he arrived Tigers desperately needed. Between Salvi leaving and the recent (slight) upturn in defence our tackling around the fringes was so passive. Lavanini had a poor game yesterday though so I'd probably bench him.

1.de Bruin
2.Montoya
3.Cole
4.Wells
5.Martin
6.Liebenberg
7.Reffell
8.Wiese

9.JvP
10.Bonilla

11.Nadolo/Van Wyk
12.Taute
13.Moroni
14.Murimurivalu
15.Steward

16.Youngs
17.Leatigaga
18.Heyes
19.Lavanini
20.Brink
21.White
22.Henry
23.Scott
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:42 am Agree on Reffell needing to start.

I'd also keep Murimurivalu starting on one wing regardless of if Nadolo is fit. I thought he was excellent. His carrying of 9 reminded me of Goneva at times. He runs fantastic lines with pace and power. If Nadolo is fit then Murimurivalu can take the right wing berth instead with Nadolo returning on the left.

Lavanini, Montoya and Moroni started together against Worcester so one of them is exempt from the foreign player rules, presumably due to European citizenship, perhaps Italian.

For the most part I've praised Lavanini at Tigers more than most fans. He's often added what we brought him in for by being brutal in fringe defence and stopping runners from 9 dead in their tracks, which when he arrived Tigers desperately needed. Between Salvi leaving and the recent (slight) upturn in defence our tackling around the fringes was so passive. Lavanini had a poor game yesterday though so I'd probably bench him.

1.de Bruin
2.Montoya
3.Cole
4.Wells
5.Martin
6.Liebenberg
7.Reffell
8.Wiese

9.JvP
10.Bonilla

11.Nadolo/Van Wyk
12.Taute
13.Moroni
14.Murimurivalu
15.Steward

16.Youngs
17.Leatigaga
18.Heyes
19.Lavanini
20.Brink
21.White
22.Henry
23.Scott
Whilst I'd love to play that team

1. Think it's been heavily suggested that Lavannini is the one who has an Italian passport, so it is likely Bonilla, Montoya & Moroni all on the same pitch at once is not allowed.

2. If that is allowed and Lavannini is one of the overseas players SB is unlikely to have him on the bench as an injury in the secondary row means having to take off another player.

IF Lavannini is one of the overseas players, then I really would give the overseas slot to Bonilla now relegation has been scrapped and he has signed to move elsewhere.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: 20th Feb 2021 - Home vs Wasps

Post by sam16111986 »

Lavanini doesn't often fair well with games where the opposition are playing expansive. He comes into his own in the more physical contests where he can make those trademark big tackles.

I'd be tempted to go;

de Bruin, Montoya, Cole
Wells, Martin
Liebenburg, Reffell, Weise

Keep the pack mobile and physical. Reffell will be needed for the breakdown battle.

JVP, Henry
Taute, Moroni
Murimurivalu, Steward, Nadolo/Potter

The Fijians would be invaluable Vs Wasps with the experience and power. Potter deserves a chance if Nadolo isn't fit, like his chasing game and he's good when the game breaks up.

Youngs, Leatigaga, Heyes, Brink, Wallace, Wigglesworth, Bonilla, Porter.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Match is live on BT Sport 2 for those wanting to watch the game :smt023

Back at home and hopefully we can bounce back from last weekend with another solid performance and much needed 4 or 5 points. Expect a few rested players to come back in to the mix. Not sure about Nadolo, clearly depends on fitness but I'm hoping he might be available. Something like:

15 Freddie Steward
14 Jacobus Van Wyk
13 Matias Moroni
12 Matt Scott
11 Nemani Nadolo (if not fit then Kini Murimurivalu)
10 Zack Henry
9 Jack Van Poortvliet

1 Luan de Bruin
2 Julián Montoya
3 Dan Cole
4 Cameron Henderson
5 Tomás Lavanini
6 Hanro Liebenberg
7 Tommy Reffell
8 Jasper Wiese

Replacements

16 Tom Youngs
17 Nephi Leatigaga
18 Joe Heyes
19 George Martin
20 Cyle Brink
21 Richard Wigglesworth
22 Johnny McPhillips
23 Guy Porter (or Jaco Taute if not available)

Perhaps Ben White will get the spot on the bench but Wigglesworth might provide the calm, experienced head required if we are trying to close the game out late on. Would perhaps continue with a little rotation and give Green a rest after a fair few matches; plus I would really like to see Henderson back in the mix. If Porter is fit I would start him at 12 to give Scott a rest but not heard anything about him or Potter for some time so I'll stick with Scott at 12. Would potentially give Moroni a rest allowing Bonilla to have a start at 10 with Henry dropping to the bench but the overseas player rule slightly scuppers Bonilla getting in the side regularly with Montoya and Moroni likely to be favoured going forward.

The Overseas player rule is an interesting one as Montoya surely is a nailed on starter and I think Moroni is likely to be favoured at 13 so I'm struggling to work out if SB is not using Bonilla as Montoya has arrived early and he can't fit him in, whether he's injured or whether SB is trying to keep faith with Henry as he sees him as the one for the future cover at 10.

Prefer the 5/3 split on the bench over the 6/2 but potentially Wells coming in for Porter if we opt for a 6/2 split.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
rugbym4dmike
Tiger Cub

Post by rugbym4dmike »

I'd like to see Muri given a run at 13, he had a few games for Fiji and looked comfortable, it would also give us a bit more pace and power in the backline IMO he is too good to be a back up wing or bench warmer.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Looking at Twitter for injury updates on those who may have had niggles.

Bonilla
Wigglesworth
Porter
(And someone who may be a blurry Van Wyk in the background of a Joe Heyes pic)

All photographed at training today.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

No easy games anymore.Wasps perhaps more pragmatic under Blackwell but the key remains enough control to prevent their free - flowing offense gaining momentum.In addition,for Leicester any territory and possession must be used to greater effect - what ever the game plan.Could well be a interesting game to watch develop.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Think I'm right in saying Wasps haven't won at Welford Road since 2016.

I am quietly confident that that run can continue.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:48 am Think I'm right in saying Wasps haven't won at Welford Road since 2016.

Yes that's right, they haven't beaten us at Welford Road since the first home game of the 2016/17 season. Although alternatively we haven't beaten Wasps at the Ricoh since the 2014/15 season as far as I'm aware.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:26 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:48 am Think I'm right in saying Wasps haven't won at Welford Road since 2016.

Yes that's right, they haven't beaten us at Welford Road since the first home game of the 2016/17 season. Although alternatively we haven't beaten Wasps at the Ricoh since the 2014/15 season as far as I'm aware.
That's correct. The home side has won this fixture for the last 5 years.. here's hoping that tradition continues!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’d play the most attacking side possible. We will need to score at least 30 points to win this game
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:05 am I’d play the most attacking side possible. We will need to score at least 30 points to win this game
I’d say play to our strengths. Don’t change because of the opposition.