20th Feb 2021 - Home vs Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: 20th Feb 2021 - Home vs Wasps

Post by westwinds31 »

How many “Red Leicester” headlines are we thinking ? Along with the “Double Gloucester”....well nearly.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Offside wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:01 pm I agree that something needs to be done about the player jumping into someone on the ground. I am not sure what the rules could be though. If the player on the ground is stationary then the could have the right to the space but usually both players are moving but one has jumped and is literally flying at the moving player still on the ground. When the player on the ground jumps a bit vertically they still seems to get pinged if they touch the player flying above them. Difficult to decide how it can be made better and clearer consistently.
Perhaps ban jumping in the air? Make it the same as jumping to avoid a tackle.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

chewbacca wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:20 pm
Offside wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:01 pm I agree that something needs to be done about the player jumping into someone on the ground. I am not sure what the rules could be though. If the player on the ground is stationary then the could have the right to the space but usually both players are moving but one has jumped and is literally flying at the moving player still on the ground. When the player on the ground jumps a bit vertically they still seems to get pinged if they touch the player flying above them. Difficult to decide how it can be made better and clearer consistently.
Hanro was effectively stood still and had someone take a running jump towards him when he wasn't looking, just like a player shouldn't be able to run head first at the defensive line you shouldn't be able to do that
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

chewbacca wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:20 pm
Or allow the defending player to jump, attacking player has to stay at ground level. A player like Basset comes in and recklessly knees someone in the head they get red carded and a lengthy ban.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:33 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:31 pm Wonder how Sam Lewis played today.....

A win, all 3 red cards correct, 2 soft but correct, backs still very disjointed, but they are individually playing well, Henry really isn't the 10 if we are going to play maul & kick.

Move on to next week & if we keep the deficit to 20 points it wouldn't be bad.
You just had to finish with a negative didn’t you?!
Realistic, it would be an improvement on our last visit...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:31 pm Wonder how Sam Lewis played today.....

Pretty well according to this match report - https://www.coventryrugby.co.uk/2021/02 ... try-rugby/

Coventry could have won that match but gave away silly penalties in the second half. No red cards either :smt022
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Was this a league match or a friendly?

If it was a league match then it would be OK but if leagues below the Premiership are suspended, how is it that Sarries are allowed to play friendlies?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:55 pm Was this a league match or a friendly?

If it was a league match then it would be OK but if leagues below the Premiership are suspended, how is it that Sarries are allowed to play friendlies?
because the Championship is retuning and these are warm up games?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I don't know if this has been noted in earlier pages, but, I thought Sir had a decent game. Even handed and communicated well with the players and his officiating team.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thought Hanro was very unlucky. What’s the lower end for a red,I believe he will get the lowest ban possible.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:19 pm I don't know if this has been noted in earlier pages, but, I thought Sir had a decent game. Even handed and communicated well with the players and his officiating team.
Thought he was pretty good to be honest too. Would have liked at least a warning to Wasps if not a yellow for repeat offending and high penalty count (19 in total) but otherwise can’t complain too much
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I posted a couple of years ago about this issue. It's been going on since Halfpenny starting milking penalties by leaping in the air, boots or knees forward. I was only a few metres from North vs Thommo - Thommo was confronted with a bloke way up in the air, legs up, he tried to avoid contact (which wasn't substantial) and down and out went North - the architect of his own misfortune in my view. I have always held the view that each incident should be judged on its own merits - someone leaping into a grounded player in my mind is the one who should be penalised for dangerous play.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rugby never used to be an aerial game, there should be one foot on the ground in all open play situations except diving over the line to score. No diving into rucks it is just as bad.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It's a another part of the game that needs reviewing, I think Bassett was blameless on this occasion, but the whole challenge in the air area needs looking at make it safer for both parties. By the law it was a Red for Hanro but definitely no intent, Weisse on the other hand was just dull & a bit of a cheap shot tbh.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:33 pm It's a another part of the game that needs reviewing, I think Bassett was blameless on this occasion, but the whole challenge in the air area needs looking at make it safer for both parties. By the law it was a Red for Hanro but definitely no intent, Weisse on the other hand was just dull & a bit of a cheap shot tbh.
just seen it back on Twitter, Bassett took off 2m away from Hanro and got nowhere near the ball before the contact was made, Hanro couldn't possibly be expected to know he was there as he was no where close when he took off, he made contact to Hanro's head with his knee.

There was dangerous play in that incident but it wasn't from the Tigers 6, jumping straight up is one thing but he jumped into the defensive line