20th Feb 2021 - Home vs Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: 20th Feb 2021 - Home vs Wasps

Post by RagingBull »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:31 pm Wonder how Sam Lewis played today.....

A win, all 3 red cards correct, 2 soft but correct, backs still very disjointed, but they are individually playing well, Henry really isn't the 10 if we are going to play maul & kick.

Move on to next week & if we keep the deficit to 20 points it wouldn't be bad.
Good in attack made a massive break.
So so in defence but all the players on both teams were rusty in defence
moorsman1
Tiger Cub

Post by moorsman1 »

:smt041
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Excellent result, pity about the red cards, but offset by a great effort.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:35 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:33 pm And what about Zac Henry’s kicks to touch that got us the tries again. His kicking from the t will get better. He also tackled brilliantly today causing Wasps to abandon targeting him.
Hanford was a bit unlucky as when watching at full speed I don’t see how he could have got out of the way!
I was more annoyed with the amount of penalties Wasps gave away( and got away with) in their 22 and no card even though Maxwell could be heard saying to them , “ That’s cynical!’
Next week is a free shot as Bristol will be missing hardly anyone.
Maybe Borthwick can ask Eddie Jones to release George Martin as he won’t be in the 23!
Great effort today by all and last season the 3 red cards would be yellow!
Saints beating Exeter shows any team could rise to top 4 with a good run.
His kicking from the tee got him top spot in the league before today. He had an off day from the tee today but was good in other areas.
And by the looks of it the conditions didn’t help
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Not sure we're really play to Zack's strengths. I wish we'd let him loose a bit more. Suppose we're still setting foundations.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

Think Wasps dropped a real clanger in taking Gopperth off when they had to bring a prop on after Brookes' red card. He's the glue that keeps their backline working, especially when Umaga came on given his recent dip in form/confidence.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:40 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:35 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:33 pm And what about Zac Henry’s kicks to touch that got us the tries again. His kicking from the t will get better. He also tackled brilliantly today causing Wasps to abandon targeting him.
Hanford was a bit unlucky as when watching at full speed I don’t see how he could have got out of the way!
I was more annoyed with the amount of penalties Wasps gave away( and got away with) in their 22 and no card even though Maxwell could be heard saying to them , “ That’s cynical!’
Next week is a free shot as Bristol will be missing hardly anyone.
Maybe Borthwick can ask Eddie Jones to release George Martin as he won’t be in the 23!
Great effort today by all and last season the 3 red cards would be yellow!
Saints beating Exeter shows any team could rise to top 4 with a good run.
His kicking from the tee got him top spot in the league before today. He had an off day from the tee today but was good in other areas.
And by the looks of it the conditions didn’t help
Absolutely, he’s been a solid kicker from the tee since day one. The sticks were swaying about quite a bit.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:36 pm Nod to Moroni. Seems to be finally showing to be the player we thought we’d got. Booted a kick into the next county and entered the Wasps try saving tackle Hall of fame.
Seem to be making a few great try savers vs Wasps in recent years!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I am not sure that Liebenberg was expecting anyone to be jumping in the line he was running.

The wing got a long way up and barely touched it. If that was someone trying to intercept a pass you might argue he never really had a chance of taking the ball and for the same reason Liebenberg wasn’t expecting anyone to land on him.

Not an excuse but not the typical reckless run under a jumper.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:08 pm I am not sure that Liebenberg was expecting anyone to be jumping in the line he was running.

The wing got a long way up and barely touched it. If that was someone trying to intercept a pass you might argue he never really had a chance of taking the ball and for the same reason Liebenberg wasn’t expecting anyone to land on him.

Not an excuse but not the typical reckless run under a jumper.
Hopefully the citing committee agree. He certainly wasn't intending harm, clumsy but a definite red in the rules was my feeling. So hopefully a fairly short ban, don't think he has previous that I'm aware of?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Greens quietly becoming a mainstay in the pack, think he’s started every game this season. Today was his best game in a Tigers shirt for me. Does the unflashy work such as clearing out rucks very well. However also saw some good carries ball in hand. Him and Liebenberg becoming the glue which holds the forwards together.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Yes: I really don’t see what Hanro could have done! If he’d tried to put his arms up the flying Wasps would have had a terrible fall. Trouble is the authorities always seem to be really harsh on us.
As for Wiese, it was a red but even after 15 minutes Wasps had got away with so many infringements I can understand Wiese going in to clear but today players cannot go anywhere near the head.
Brookes was a certain red too but I don’t think the reds today were as bad as Bath’s last night.
There will now be many more reds this season but the high tackle by Wasps towards the end of the game was just as dangerous and I thought should have been a yellow: difference is we didn’t “ make a meal” out of the high tackles!
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:11 pm No Remy this weekend. I'll have to make do with some 20 year old XO armagnac.

Will we survive having our two best back rowers out for a month?.... Who knows?.... It's not the replacements in the team that worry me... But what comes off the bench.

The second red concerns me. You can effectively jump four feet in the air and the responsibility for keeping you safe rests with those on the ground. Not with the bloke who put himself at risk in the first instance........ Says the prop.

I felt the same when North landed on Adam Thommo..... What's a bloke supposed to do. Just let the airborne back have the ball? An attacking tactic for which there is no (legal) defence?

........ It's not the game I knew. Apologies. Just an old duffer having a rant.
I agree with you, time after time we see this and like you say the Welsh national team are prime offenders. Run to catch a kick and leap in the air with the express purpose of been tacked in the air and drawing a penalty/yellow card. The jumping player has to take some responsibility for avoiding unsafe play, not just the poor sucker they land on!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

My favourite moment of the game was Wigglesworth sounding like a quieter version of Paddy McGuinness with his “Yes, Coleyyyyy” being picked up on the ref mic.

Everyone showed up today, but still plenty of room for improvement.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I agree that something needs to be done about the player jumping into someone on the ground. I am not sure what the rules could be though. If the player on the ground is stationary then the could have the right to the space but usually both players are moving but one has jumped and is literally flying at the moving player still on the ground. When the player on the ground jumps a bit vertically they still seems to get pinged if they touch the player flying above them. Difficult to decide how it can be made better and clearer consistently.