Re: 20th Feb 2021 - Home vs Wasps

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:22 pm Wiese Stats
66 meters gained
6 defenders beaten
2 tackles
0 missed

IN 26 MINUTES!
He would have had a field day if he hadn't had been red carded...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:22 pm Wiese Stats
66 meters gained
6 defenders beaten
2 tackles
0 missed

IN 26 MINUTES!
GP best 8!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Only shame was Henry’s kicking otherwise we could’ve chased the TBP.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Good job we have a lot of backrow depth. Wiese and Liebenberg have been absolute stars this season!

Excellent game in the tight. Good foundations for Borthwick to build on. Murimurivalu quietly brilliant from the back. Moroni had his best performance since joining.

Shame Henry had a poor day off the tee. Might have given us the confidence to get the 4th with a bigger lead.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Superb win! An 80 minute performance too which we haven’t done for a very long time!
bendy

Post by bendy »

Big Tomas had a monster game too. Unfortunately he's really starting to look like the player I thought we'd signed!

Oh well, hopefully another ten games or so from him and we can send him off with best wishes.

Time to start thinking about HCC next season....?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Overall happy with a win, TBP would have been good, more disappointed with the likely suspensions coming though than missing that. A win vs a team competing for top 6 is a good thing especially as it was 4-0 not 4-1.

Brink played an absolute monster!

He will definitely start, be intresting what the makeup of the rest of the back row is.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Moose wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:17 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:11 pm No Remy this weekend. I'll have to make do with some 20 year old XO armagnac.

Will we survive having our two best back rowers out for a month?.... Who knows?.... It's not the replacements in the team that worry me... But what comes off the bench.

The second red concerns me. You can effectively jump four feet in the air and the responsibility for keeping you safe rests with those on the ground. Not with the bloke who put himself at risk in the first instance........ Says the prop.

I felt the same when North landed on Adam Thommo..... What's a bloke supposed to do. Just let the airborne back have the ball? An attacking tactic for which there is no (legal) defence?

........ It's not the game I knew. Apologies. Just an old duffer having a rant.
Jump and compete for the ball, or bide your time and smack him when he lands. Competition is absolutely allowed, it just has to be genuine and not dangerous.

In Hanro's defence, I don't think he saw him coming, but the awareness is still his responsibility.
The mark used to have to be taken on the deck...... Mind you I don't remember many I played against being able to jump THAT high. His backside landed on Hanro's neck.

You raise your potential for injury and from then on in have no responsibility for your own actions? So you can fly through the air, land on some poor brainless forward and get him sent off.... Doesn't seem entirely equitable? Yes it's a props rant... But it doesn't seem right.😊😊

I feel the same about the line out. Ban lifting. In my day the winger threw in and then a fight broke out. Marvellous!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Wonder how Sam Lewis played today.....

A win, all 3 red cards correct, 2 soft but correct, backs still very disjointed, but they are individually playing well, Henry really isn't the 10 if we are going to play maul & kick.

Move on to next week & if we keep the deficit to 20 points it wouldn't be bad.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

One comment by BT after Wiese's red was that we conceded the fewest points whilst down to 14 men...

I was skeptical as to whether that would continue with almost 50 mins to play down to 14... but to then only concede 5 points during the whole of the remaining time is brilliant defence.

We are quietly building nicely now in my view.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

And what about Zac Henry’s kicks to touch that got us the tries again. His kicking from the t will get better. He also tackled brilliantly today causing Wasps to abandon targeting him.
Hanford was a bit unlucky as when watching at full speed I don’t see how he could have got out of the way!
I was more annoyed with the amount of penalties Wasps gave away( and got away with) in their 22 and no card even though Maxwell could be heard saying to them , “ That’s cynical!’
Next week is a free shot as Bristol will be missing hardly anyone.
Maybe Borthwick can ask Eddie Jones to release George Martin as he won’t be in the 23!
Great effort today by all and last season the 3 red cards would be yellow!
Saints beating Exeter shows any team could rise to top 4 with a good run.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:31 pm Wonder how Sam Lewis played today.....

A win, all 3 red cards correct, 2 soft but correct, backs still very disjointed, but they are individually playing well, Henry really isn't the 10 if we are going to play maul & kick.

Move on to next week & if we keep the deficit to 20 points it wouldn't be bad.
You just had to finish with a negative didn’t you?!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:33 pm And what about Zac Henry’s kicks to touch that got us the tries again. His kicking from the t will get better. He also tackled brilliantly today causing Wasps to abandon targeting him.
Hanford was a bit unlucky as when watching at full speed I don’t see how he could have got out of the way!
I was more annoyed with the amount of penalties Wasps gave away( and got away with) in their 22 and no card even though Maxwell could be heard saying to them , “ That’s cynical!’
Next week is a free shot as Bristol will be missing hardly anyone.
Maybe Borthwick can ask Eddie Jones to release George Martin as he won’t be in the 23!
Great effort today by all and last season the 3 red cards would be yellow!
Saints beating Exeter shows any team could rise to top 4 with a good run.
His kicking from the tee got him top spot in the league before today. He had an off day from the tee today but was good in other areas.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Nod to Moroni. Seems to be finally showing to be the player we thought we’d got. Booted a kick into the next county and entered the Wasps try saving tackle Hall of fame.