Sort the tackle area out, please!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Sort the tackle area out, please!

Post by jgriffin »

Just a nightmare, people on the deck, sealing, passive, sliding in......what a mess.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Sort the tackle area out, please!

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Will improve the game & reduce some of the concussion collisions.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:32 pm Will improve the game & reduce some of the concussion collisions.
And provide more broken defences! No time to form catenaccio defences means more attacking opportunities and a faster game.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Bring back rucking and ban hands in there, ban lifting in the lineout as well if we are talking player safety.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Grown tired of refs coaching players by shouting instructions (tackled, release, let go, blah blah blah) throughout a game.
Refs just don't seem to get it.
Blow the damn whistle and penalise infringements, whether it's a one or ten second infringement it's still an infringement, and then card persistent offences.
Make players think about what they are doing.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:17 pm Just a nightmare, people on the deck, sealing, passive, sliding in......what a mess.
Totally agree, the laws are ignored far too much causing this mess its boring. Bodies still lie around the breakdown causing incoming players to clear them out, both are offences in the law book. All levels from community to elite ignore this and other laws, World Rugby have finally got round to the 'immediate release' law for both ball carrier and tackler so why not the others?

I disagree with BFG however, if you penalised every offence then there would be a ridiculous amount of stoppages. They are laws not rules so context and materiality count, so if a ref can prevent a penalty with management then play on. Warning skippers about negative patterns in play puts the responsibility back on the players for the next offence.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I agree. In what is a complex game refs do need to talk to players to try to prevent infringements and keep the game flowing. Some, like Barnes, do this better than others.

Players going off their feet is a problem which regrettably doesn't get picked up nearly enough and as a result does in turn lead to some dangerous clear outs with the original offender seldom getting pinged.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

That's fine if you disagree with me DingDong, obviously many refs also disagree.
Defenders are coached to be ready for the next defensive set and that's always been the case.
The limits should be the players focus and not to push it until told off by Sir, it's the perfect opportunity to allow players to push to the limits and then beyond with the time Sir takes to then instruct and it has become a constant.
It never used to happen, you'd just be penalised, or punched.
The game is supposed to be about the players and not refs.
We get different interpretations from game to game because it's become too much about refs.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

I can only dream of 'penalised or punched' returning to the game, I truly wish it could! There is definitely too much let go by refs, the balance is wrong at the moment and i agree entirely with BFG about the refs making it too much about themselves sometimes. Carley and Pearce are two of the worst examples, then there's Andrew Brace last saturday, another level of confusion for the poor old players to work out!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

DingDong wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:32 am I can only dream of 'penalised or punched' returning to the game, I truly wish it could! There is definitely too much let go by refs, the balance is wrong at the moment and i agree entirely with BFG about the refs making it too much about themselves sometimes. Carley and Pearce are two of the worst examples, then there's Andrew Brace last saturday, another level of confusion for the poor old players to work out!
I was only saying to her indoors whilst watching a game at the week-end that the referees should not be coaching the players and explaining the laws to them
A2O
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

DingDong wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:32 am I can only dream of 'penalised or punched' returning to the game, I truly wish it could! There is definitely too much let go by refs, the balance is wrong at the moment and i agree entirely with BFG about the refs making it too much about themselves sometimes. Carley and Pearce are two of the worst examples, then there's Andrew Brace last saturday, another level of confusion for the poor old players to work out!
Peter O'Mahony's red card on Sunday is a great example of much that is wrong currently.
The Welsh player Francis purposely falls on the wrong side of the tackled Irish player.
I dislike diving in the ruck for no reason but I think there was a reason and Francis got some of what he was asking for.
The game is rewarding cheating currently.
The powers need to be wiser in my opinion.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:48 pm
Peter O'Mahony's red card on Sunday is a great example of much that is wrong currently.
The Welsh player Francis purposely falls on the wrong side of the tackled Irish player.
I dislike diving in the ruck for no reason but I think there was a reason and Francis got some of what he was asking for.
I was provoked by watching the highlights of the Premier, almost every tackle zone replete with offences. Having seen it, agree re POMs card.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

There was some sort of irony to a Chiefs player getting taken out in a ruck...
Red card all day long, but a symptom of the disease.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

You might want to rewatch it. As Francis got to his feet after attempting a tackle, Sexton, from behind, drove him back off his feet into the ruck. Even then the ball was still available.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Dokie wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:24 pm
You might want to rewatch it. As Francis got to his feet after attempting a tackle, Sexton, from behind, drove him back off his feet into the ruck. Even then the ball was still available.

Francis was on the wrong side on his hands and knees blocking entry to the ruck for the first arriving Ireland player Sexton, whilst Tipuric was getting over the tackled Irish player for the steal.
Francis should be rolling away immediately.
It was a clear penalty to Ireland, at that stage.