Away vs Quins Sat 13th Feb

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Away vs Quins Sat 13th Feb

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:17 pm Looking at Cole on the bench suggests to be a degree of rotation in the selections at least.
I get the feeling Potter and Porter are most likely still injured or not 100% fit.
I think that's it. Rotate away to Quins and hope for a fully fit or close to it squad for the home match against Wasps.

I really like Martin but would personally have liked to have seen a back row of:

6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Brink

Just my opinion of course and SB and the coaches are the only ones that matter :smt002
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

This will be the first time in a very long time I’ve not been to Quins and I’d prefer to watch this game at Quins as I think, looking at the side Quins has put out, that this could be a long afternoon. Not sure about the back row: Wiese a huge loss.
I was hoping we could build on last weeks performance with the same combinations out! This has been a consistent problem for us over the last 4 seasons or so: Quins put out almost the same team as the last few weeks and so it’s no surprise that the results have been great since Gustard left. I’m surprised Marcus Smith is fit having gone off after 22’ last week.
Come on Tigers: surprise us and get a win.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

Ian Cant wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:23 pm This will be the first time in a very long time I’ve not been to Quins and I’d prefer to watch this game at Quins as I think, looking at the side Quins has put out, that this could be a long afternoon. Not sure about the back row: Wiese a huge loss.
I was hoping we could build on last weeks performance with the same combinations out! This has been a consistent problem for us over the last 4 seasons or so: Quins put out almost the same team as the last few weeks and so it’s no surprise that the results have been great since Gustard left. I’m surprised Marcus Smith is fit having gone off after 22’ last week.
I totally agree with you, my thoughts are why not make one change each week to rest players rather than do it all in one go and damage the continuity, all I want is a settled tigers side, unfortunately I don’t feel that will ever be the case.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

tigercub21 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:25 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:23 pm This will be the first time in a very long time I’ve not been to Quins and I’d prefer to watch this game at Quins as I think, looking at the side Quins has put out, that this could be a long afternoon. Not sure about the back row: Wiese a huge loss.
I totally agree with you, my thoughts are why not make one change each week to rest players rather than do it all in one go and damage the continuity, all I want is a settled tigers side, unfortunately I don’t feel that will ever be the case.
One change a week? From 22 rounds you think a team of 15 would be able to stay fresh by making 1 change a week?
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Is Luke Wallace injured at the moment? Or just out of favour?

With the lack of other rugby, squad rotation is inevitable, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Glad to see JvP getting a start.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I wouldn't be surprised if there's been a few positive tests/injuries contributing to the rotation, no coach generally likes to rotate everyone for all the games, but I don't think it's a bad team at all.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:27 pm
One change a week? From 22 rounds you think a team of 15 would be able to stay fresh by making 1 change a week?
We don’t know whether there are injuries in the camp. So this may be squad rotation or it may be forced. No point speculating.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:20 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:17 pm Looking at Cole on the bench suggests to be a degree of rotation in the selections at least.
I get the feeling Potter and Porter are most likely still injured or not 100% fit.
I think that's it. Rotate away to Quins and hope for a fully fit or close to it squad for the home match against Wasps.

I really like Martin but would personally have liked to have seen a back row of:

6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Brink

Just my opinion of course and SB and the coaches are the only ones that matter :smt002
Brink, for me is a type of player similar to Dave Ewers at Exeter in my opinion. A bruiser flanker who can play 8 but you would only play him there if you really had to.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I guess it's easy to throw stones but the reality is that none of us know the reasoning behind this selection. Is it enforced by injuries or COVID or have the coaches decided to rest a few players with one eye on the home match against Wasps.

As much as I would love to see Wiese starting at 8, if anyone deserves a rest it's him. Nadolo being injured and perhaps Potter and Porter not fully fit means Moroni switches to the wing and Taute has to step in to the centres. Cole gets a bit of a rest and adds impact off the bench and the backrow.. well, it's not my personally choice but Liebenberg is more than capable at 8 and has put in some great performances for us there, Martin is certainly a huge potential and has performed well and Brink.. well that's the weak link for me not having Reffell starting but Brink has also played very well of late so here's hoping we are all pleasantly surprised. COYT
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think people are getting too hung up on Wiese not starting.
We will have to play games without him.

I think unlike before when we did rotation it seemed to be on mass, at least now generally we are trying to keep a lot of starting and experienced players to help the younger players coming in.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:33 pm I think people are getting too hung up on Wiese not starting.

I think unlike before when we did rotation it seemed to be on mass, at least now generally we are trying to keep a lot of starting and experienced players to help the younger players coming in.
Yeah 100% agree about Wiese. Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:32 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:20 pm

6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Brink

Brink, for me is a type of player similar to Dave Ewers at Exeter in my opinion. A bruiser flanker who can play 8 but you would only play him there if you really had to.
Fair point. To be honest I am pleased to see Martin get a rare start as I think he's got a lot of potential and has played well the few times he's appeared thus far
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:33 pm I think people are getting too hung up on Wiese not starting.

And it's nice that we have players of a high calibre at the club that their absence is worthy of such debate. He is such a an important player that his absence is always going to be a loss but as you rightly say, we will have to play games without him. Not heard anymore about Van Staden but I am hoping one day we get to see a back 3 of Liebenberg, Van Staden and Wiese.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

No, I don’t think it would be possible, however my point was that i wish would make gradual changes from week to week, rather than going all out for three weeks then removing most of the higher calibration players at the same time. I would rather have some than nine. But i’m no coach at the end of the day.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Not sure I agree with the scepticism about Brink. He’s a six and a half rather than a fetcher like Reffel but he is good over ball and, crucially, a very good line out option. Weise missing is a big blow. Taute at 13 does not overtly weaken our back line given the way that we play and Moroni on the wing will be very solid.

They have been playing very well and that back line is excellent but I still think we can get to them up front. Fear we will lose but that’s not as important as a good performance away from home.