Championship rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship rugby

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

When you think of Ben Johnson & Lance Armstrong you think of Drugs....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:09 pm When you think of Ben Johnson & Lance Armstrong you think of Drugs....
Disgraced athletes usually come to mind!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

It's really weird. When Quins went down years ago, I was really pleased when they bounced back up. When Saints went down I was never really pleased because I knew I'd miss the fixture so much. When Newcastle have gone down, I've always wanted them to return. When Exeter arrived I enjoyed watching them build into something special. Bristol have played some great rugby and - overall - I think Pat Lam has been a force for good. Ditto London Irish. Yet the Prem has just been so much better, a more pleasant competition without Saracens. Everything they touch they seem to poison. Hearing they are back, after the wonderful semis yesterday is like sitting at a wedding reception just as the father of the bride begins to speak, when some uncouth yob farts really loud and smelly. Welcome back.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:09 pm When you think of Ben Johnson & Lance Armstrong you think of Drugs....
I think they should have been stripped of their domestic trophies and the Wrays should no longer be in charge. We’ll never know if any players were culpable. But comparisons with Ben Johnson and other sound bites are slightly over the top.
No one is harping on about bloodgate and many want Quins to win the final, including me. But, for goodness sake, let it go. If nothing else, it’s cost Billy a Lions tour and George a starting place. Just move on. There’s nothing to be gained from holding grudges.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Fair points Dokie, but I think it was more Billy Vunipola criticising Gatland and saying an Eddie Jones led tour would have beat the All Blacks 3-0 in 2017 that contributed more (as well as his general lack of fitness) than the Saracens debacle.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

They served their time. Let's hope the Wray influence will not cause them to fall on the wrong side of the regulations again.

I'm not sure there is too much sign of repentance and the willingness of many of their players to remain might be interpreted by some as their bread being well buttered. It would take a lot for me to risk a Lions tour when my club had been relegated for cheating. Loyalty is one thing if your side has been relegated fair and square on the pitch, but theirs was a punishment and for me loyalty would not come in to it in those circumstances.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I found myself getting grumpy watching them yesterday. i realise that I too have preferred the premiership without them.

i hate the cheering and all round celebrations when they win a penalty. I realise most do it but I always feel they do it more (might be wrong but this is my prejudice)
I hate the fact that the big name players still protest innocence and have a sense of injustice (George and Itoje at least)
I hated seeing Nigel Wray at the game yesterday...

They carried this shadow with them for years regarding the cheating and when finally caught, did not open their books. So we will never know the full extent of the crime.

It rankles with me and I don't think that will change any time soon.
Less is more....
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Unfortunately we all have to hold our noses and get on with it, the administrators have again shown they should not be running a car boot sale let alone Rugby, how Wray's actions are not prejudicial to the game I will never know, but I will just cheer every time they lose and cry when they win, a bit like Bath really!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Saracens return to the Premiership was hardly a bolt from the blue.
Difficult to separate the goings on in the board room/backroom to the on field , I know.
Personally however , appreciated the teams playing style , consistency , will to win and mindset.These facets simply cannot and could not be built around finance and illegal payment - the desire to win and play has to be there , not just the reward.
Cheating is cheating but this was and perhaps still is a very good and well coached side.
I have no issues with their return to the top flight.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:48 am Saracens return to the Premiership was hardly a bolt from the blue.
Difficult to separate the goings on in the board room/backroom to the on field , I know.
Personally however , appreciated the teams playing style , consistency , will to win and mindset.These facets simply cannot and could not be built around finance and illegal payment - the desire to win and play has to be there , not just the reward.
Cheating is cheating but this was and perhaps still is a very good and well coached side.
I have no issues with their return to the top flight.
Very true - regardless of everything they remain well run on the pitch - you could argue that the cheating helped them have a great number of top level players, but you cant argue that whatever team they selected played in a similar way and very effectively.

i guess I might need to grow up and accept they are here to stay - it's tough though
Less is more....
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I agree, it is tough. We are being asked to forget it ever happened - BT commentary team especially are saying "move on, it's past". For me, there is still a sour taste, exacerbated by their insistence that they are 'humble'.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

If you think that there aren't companies called <insert Saracens player name here> registered in Jersey or Paris or British Virgin Isles, then you deserve to be gulled.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:32 pm If you think that there aren't companies called <insert Saracens player name here> registered in Jersey or Paris or British Virgin Isles, then you deserve to be gulled.
Jersey handy for those on the Lions tour.....
My guess is they might behave themselves next season before returning to normal the year after....all while BT act like nothing happened.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:01 pm I agree, it is tough. We are being asked to forget it ever happened - BT commentary team especially are saying "move on, it's past". For me, there is still a sour taste, exacerbated by their insistence that they are 'humble'.
I don't think anyone realistically expects anyone to forget it ever happened.

People may still have a sour taste or even a hatred but mentioning it constantly is tiresome... not saying you are doing that...
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Traveller wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:52 pm It's really weird. When Quins went down years ago, I was really pleased when they bounced back up. When Saints went down I was never really pleased because I knew I'd miss the fixture so much. When Newcastle have gone down, I've always wanted them to return. When Exeter arrived I enjoyed watching them build into something special. Bristol have played some great rugby and - overall - I think Pat Lam has been a force for good. Ditto London Irish. Yet the Prem has just been so much better, a more pleasant competition without Saracens. Everything they touch they seem to poison. Hearing they are back, after the wonderful semis yesterday is like sitting at a wedding reception just as the father of the bride begins to speak, when some uncouth yob farts really loud and smelly. Welcome back.
:smt003 :smt005 :smt003
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.